http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFDjkKldjo
So I made my own batch:
1/4 lb. raw scallops
1/2 lb. squid (cut out the ink sack)
1 lb. peeled raw shrimp
4x baby octopus
12x oysters
1/4 lb. cod filet
2 sheets of Nori (seaweed used for wrapping sushi)
4 oz. mysis shrimp
8 oz. krill
4 oz. Kent zoaplex

This recipe yielded just over 4 lbs. of reef food and cost me just under $25, I already had the krill, mysis, and zoaplex.

vinny73
02-21-2009, 10:46 PM
You can add phyto and selcon too! I did a couple demonstrations at meetings with a similar recipe i made. Corals loved them and so did the fish. You should sell what you won't use in a month. Freeze burn. People will love it too. I get people asking for more like crackheads sometimes. You can blend it to chunks or puree. They make these water bottle ice slug treys at the 99c store. They make good fish stick lookalike frozen food shapes.

vinny73
02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Also you can separate some of that stuff for just fish, anemone's, prize corals and special blends for once a week coral feedings. You can also add silversides for some corals and anemone's.

march
02-21-2009, 11:28 PM
This recipe yielded just over 4 lbs. of reef food and cost me just under $25

Don't forget the cost of a new chopper or blender... My wife would be pissed if she found out I used ours to do this!

BTW... Just curious, he said be sure to "use raw shrimp, not cooked." Seems like I've heard something like this before or maybe to NOT use raw shrimp... Why would you not want to (or want to) use cooked shrimp?

benzeeno
02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Also you can separate some of that stuff for just fish, anemone's, prize corals and special blends for once a week coral feedings. You can also add silversides for some corals and anemone's.

Cool to know for next time. I searched for food posts in the DIY when i was making it. But to my surprise didn't find any.

benzeeno
02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Don't forget the cost of a new chopper or blender... My wife would be pissed if she found out I used ours to do this!

BTW... Just curious, he said be sure to "use raw shrimp, not cooked." Seems like I've heard something like this before or maybe to NOT use raw shrimp... Why would you not want to (or want to) use cooked shrimp?

don't know why to use raw. I guess that's the way they eat it in nature. Got a cheap $10 food chopper at Wally World.

tom619
02-22-2009, 12:07 AM
You should sell what you won't use in a month. Freeze burn.

Freeze burn is still cool though, right Vinny?
cuz I wiki Freeze Burn and it says ..."
Freezer burn is a food-quality issue, not a food safety issue. ...Although undesirable, freezer burn does not make the food unsafe. It merely causes dry spots in foods.

by the way, i still have your batch from a couple months ago LOL. lasting forever!

marineman1978
02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
I've used some of the food Vinny made during that demonstration and I've been making something similar ever since. I do add selcon and garlic along with the mix. This is a great way to get the bang for ur buck. Fish and Corals love it.