PDA

View Full Version : tank is leaking

JAHGYDI
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Fixed

socalaly
02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Actual water or salt creep? mine I see salt creep but I think thats from water spilling over the side and me missing it ! :)

MichaelRyanSD
02-16-2009, 05:07 PM
yeah I'd first make sure that its not water thats accumalated from spillage over the top into the trim. A good way to tell would be to let it be and see if it starts overflowing the trim, if it does then you know you got a leak.

JAHGYDI
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
its not water overflowing down or spillage. there has always been salt creep in that spot. i can tap on the trim and water will splash out. its not overflowing the trim but just filling it up in that spot

SDguy
02-16-2009, 05:28 PM
What size tank? Smaller tanks are not worth the trouble/worry to repair, IMO.

JAHGYDI
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
to big and expensive to just replace. anybody got suggestions.

JAHGYDI
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
did i say its not even a year old

Techknowledgy
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Dash to the aquarium store. Buy some of that putty that people we use for mounting frags. It is green and comes in a stick. Work it till it is good and soft then really cram it into the trim edge. It should hold while you replace the tank. It will have to be emptied to really fix.

JAHGYDI
02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
i want to fix it from the inside. i will empty it thats not a problem. i want to do it so it will last. do i have to strip the caulking out of the seam or that area? or do you think putting more caulking over the existing caulking in that spot.

RussM
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
New silicone will not stick well to to old cured silicone, so you must remove the old from where you need to make the repair. Using a razor blade, cut away all of the silicone on the inside of the tank in the area to be repaired; be careful not to cut into the silicone filling the small gap between the two glass panels where you are working. You probably should reseal almost the entire length of the seam that is leaking. Here is a decent guide:

How to Reseal Your Glass Aquarium (http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=107)

You don't need to redo the entire tank as is depicted in the article, but it does show you the basic steps necessary.

ManTis
02-16-2009, 07:26 PM
If it is a quick fix and u dont care about the looks use epoxy putty like aquamend. Can be use under water and it makes a waterproof seal. I have done this before on a leaky bulkhead and it have not leak since. Hope this helps.

Good luck
michael

JAHGYDI
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM
thanks russ m, i read that same article the other day. i hope it dosent leak at the edges of the new silicone after i do it.

JAHGYDI
02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
anybody else for opinions