PDA

View Full Version : pods that eat zoas?

H4Rk3R
02-02-2009, 11:06 AM
so last night i decided to look at my tank with the lights off before i went to bed... flashed the light onto the zoas... and boom... theres a pod just munchin on my green skirt/green center zoa.... didnt even care that i was flashing the light on him... and i move it over to my favorite zoas... and theres pods on it that run away when i flash the light to them...

this morning.... the green on green zoa that was getting munched on is gone... and two of my favorite zoas are gone too... ive read one other person saying something about pods attackin his zoas... but never seen an answer to his problem...

any suggestions? I love zoas more than anything else in my tank.... not having them would really suck... =/

Tank size- 150g w/ 60g sump
Age of tank- 3 or 4 months
Lighting- (3) 175W MH 14k Ham. on for 6 hours a day
Salinity- 1.024
Water temperature- 76-78
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 10-20
Calcium (If applicable)-
Magnesium-
Alk or pH-
Dosing anything?- no dosing
Any recent changes to tank- been stockin the tank lately
Inhabitants (fish)- cleaner shrimp, 2 diamond gobies, yellow rose goby, firefish goby, 3 os. clowns, blue damsel, nem... thats it i think...

barometer
02-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the zoas, but I seriously doubt the the pods were munching healthy corals. They're more likely muching on them (if they were indeed eating flesh and not something on them) because there was already something going on with them, even if it wasn't apparent.

H4Rk3R
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
im thinkin that too, Ed... but as i look at the zoas... there one that is cut in half from when it was fragged and its hangin on... but the pods arent messing with that one... =/... so its kinda got me wondering... and the two on the orange skirts (my fav ones) that were knocked off last night were two small baby polyps... =/... darn pods...

barometer
02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I feel your pain, it's so frustrating to watch things go with no idea why, especially when you get to witness the scavangers cleaning up the mess :(

H4Rk3R
02-02-2009, 12:36 PM
haha ya... i dont think that there are any preditors attackin them at night as im always always lookin... and they say they are usually active when its lights out... =/... but i may just try some type of dip and see if anything crawls out of the frags... and maybe might just put them in my sump and see what happens... im out of ideas... after that...

nahtanoj
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
pod's knocking over zoas? what kind of monster pods do you have? there are many other culprits that could be going after your zoas. check this link out.
i hope you can find the problem. a couple years ago i got rid of all my zoa's due to issue after issue, finally got fed up with it. the last straw was zoa nudis.
good luck.
http://zoaid.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=384

H4Rk3R
02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
i had spionid worms on my orange skirts that were irritating about 5 of the polyps.... got rid of them saturday.... did that with some of the water i pulled out durring a water change.... cut the worms of the rock and scrapped the rock where they were attached.... rinsed with some of the "clean" water from the water change.... then rinsed a few more times for good measure... when they went back into the tank they opened within a half hour and were open fully... maybe i hurt the two on the end somehow? and thats why the Amphipods munched them down??? but the green skirts i havent touched in weeks... they fell from the snails about two weeks ago... but if one were damaged during that the Amphipods shoulda off'ed it long ago...

hehe man this is fusterating... not in an arrrrrrrg i wanna punch a wall fusterating... just a dengit, ::scratch my head:: way.... =P

btw, thanks for that link.... it helped me add to whats been going on with my poor zoas... and getting rid of them... i cant... i love these things... =P...

vlad_acosta
02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
so what dips have you done? You say they keep getting knocked down do you have a bunch of turbo snails? I got rid of all my regular turbos and just got more astrea snails and some tiger turbo's from chris at Lotsa Fishies....the knocking down by snails stopped when i got rid of the regular turbos.

H4Rk3R
02-03-2009, 12:24 AM
vlad... i havent done any dips yet... i want to fully read into everything and different products out there... i have 2 turbos and one mexican turbo... are they one in the same?... anyhow... they havent really knocked the green zoas down since then... so its not very often they do fall...