PDA

View Full Version : Fish dissapearing... no logical explanation. help please

Dechaine249
01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
So my 22 gallon nano crashed because of a stupid mistake i made. That was about 6 months ago. I finally got it back up and going, with a bunch of corals growing in really nicely. The only fish that lived through the crash was a small false percula clown. I decided to start stocking up on fish, and the fish im getting keep disappearing for no reason at all! So far ive had 3 firefish and a skunk cleaner shrimp vanish!
They will seem perfectly healthy, eating, active, doing really well, and then ill leave for a few hours to do something, and ill come back and they are nowhere to be found. I'm really starting to get pissed off.
The tank is fully covered, I'm sure that they arent getting sucked up in the filters, and ive searched through the liverock multiple times. I havent seen a body from any of the fish yet.
I am out of all logical explanations and nobody seems to have any answers, but i really want to get other fish in my tank, and im sick of wasting money on this!
anyone who has any suggestions, or has had a similar experience, please help.

davocean
01-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Ever hear clicking sounds from tank, like maybe a mantis shrimp?

ricenoodle
01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Just what i was thinking. Also if your fish died due to something and you have a good cleanup crew, you may never see the bodies.

porter1894
02-02-2009, 05:08 PM
need more info on other livestock that you have. i.e. anemones, shrimp, fish, and certain cleanup crew.

pics can help to

Dechaine249
02-04-2009, 06:02 PM
well the two mose recent fish, the firefish, showed up 2 days later. I probably just acclimated them too slowly and they hid because of the stress, but got over it and came out. anyway.

only thing in livestock thats even mildly threatening is some hammer coral, but i highly doubt thats killing all my fish. No mantis shrimp, im about as sure as anyone could be. never heard any sounds, and i look through the tank regularly, sometimes at night with a red light.
im just gonna assume that the problem was something with my parameters thats been resolved through water changes. Before the crash i would test my water regularly, but for the 2-3 months after it, i didnt test them ata ll. thats when this issue arose.
If anyone thinks anything else, let me know, but im pretty sure i have it resolved at this point, thanks everyone.
i may throw a pic up for kicks&giggles.