PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang...

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
01-21-2009, 02:31 AM
So these past few days I've been noticing my naso do some weird stuff and not being himself. He goes up to the glass bites the glass for no apparent reason swims parallel with his body up on the surface of the water. I feed him and my desj sailfin emerald entree, spectrum pellets and marine algae every week. Checked water paramaters and everything was normal all other fish are normal and acting normal as well. The only physical appearance/difference that I notice with my naso tang are three things. His top fin spines up in the air and his yellow part of his nose starts to darken at times and the last thing he's got something sticking out of his anal fin for two days now (which looks like poop) but hasn't exited. He's still eating that's why I am curious as to what I should do he's never acted like this before so someone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Drew

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
no one?

davocean
01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, biting glass can be normal, picking off algae, they seem to like the fresh stuff on glass.
Color changes w/ moods it seems, as well as lifting it's spines.
What size tank?
Specs?
I saw someone post on tangs the other day saying small swimming area was harmful to digestive system.
I'll search for full explanation, not sure how factual this is, but it's a theory.

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
01-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I mean its a standard 60gal but I appreciate the post dave...now that piece of poop has gone but he still tends to show his top spine a lot and I also noticed today only when the lights come on? :-/

LotsaFishies
01-22-2009, 05:07 AM
maybe he's horny? lol...

How big is the naso?

davocean
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, not meaning to bag or anything, but that's a small tank for any size naso.

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
no for sure I understand I plan on getting rid of him soon. I got him from a garbage bin (it was kind of an emergency deal) to make the long story short but I appreciate your help Dave!

suaveflooder
01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, not meaning to bag or anything, but that's a small tank for any size naso.

hmmmm....I was told even something as small as a 60-75 was okay for a juvenile. I agree it won't work for very long (as little as 6 months for such a fast growing fish if lucky a year), but now I am worried. Was I informed incorrectly? I just got a 3" or so Naso with the plan of purchasing a 125 here in the next 6 months or so (I am moving to a more permanent living arrangement in a month)

OceanBeach1502
01-24-2009, 11:44 PM
TANG POLICE!! J/K.... Fo realz though...thats small for a tang. I have read a few places once they start doing things they dont normally do...it is usually due to lack of space. Then they die. Tangs need tons of room to swim.

suaveflooder
01-24-2009, 11:54 PM
TANG POLICE!! J/K.... Fo realz though...thats small for a tang. I have read a few places once they start doing things they dont normally do...it is usually due to lack of space. Then they die. Tangs need tons of room to swim.

That's what I needed to know! Thanks man!

OceanBeach1502
01-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks "lady" ;) and by tons i mean tons! I had to give up my PBT cause my 120 was not enough for him anymore. Now he lives in a crazy huge tank with Marde. :)

suaveflooder
01-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks "lady" ;) and by tons i mean tons! I had to give up my PBT cause my 120 was not enough for him anymore. Now he lives in a crazy huge tank with Marde. :)

HAHA! Oops! Thanks, "ma'am!" He is in a 60 right now, but I am moving in less than a month. I will upgrade then. It will make the move a bit easier (having a tank already set up at the new place. I will keep a close eye on him and watch for any change in behavior for now. Thanks so much for your help! I just recently got rid of an angel for the same reason. He was getting too big for the tank wayyy too fast.

davocean
01-25-2009, 01:00 PM
We,ve all been there pretty much.
FWIW I had a Naso in my 90g for seven years back before I knew better.
As he got older, his fins started to look not so clean, a little ragged, and I'm sure it was due to stress and diet from lack of swim space/LR

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
01-26-2009, 03:16 AM
you guys I appreciate the input and yes I knew it was too small of a tank but I kept him because I wanted to upgrade to the 135g that I'm also currently selling but that didn't work out because of a money issue so now both the 135g (in the equipment threads) is listed up for sale and the naso tang as well. And out of all seriousness I do appreciate your guys' replies thanks a lot but I knew I had it coming I just had a wrong twist and turn so he's up for grabs!

estamm
02-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Are you sure he isn't seeing himself in the glass?? All the things you describe reminds me of aggressive posturing. You mention he does it with the light on, he may be able to see enough of a reflection to cause the response. Before you get rid of him try re-aiming the lights slightly. If hes eating and doing well otherwise it may be that simple.

swissfish
02-07-2009, 07:04 AM
You guys are arested!

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
02-10-2009, 02:33 AM
haha this is freakin badass! but nope sold the tang so I can't get arrested! ;)

OnE fEaThEr
03-12-2009, 07:10 AM
..sooooo i wa thinkn of gettng some tangssss i have a 100gal acrylic is that to small of a tank????????