PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Foam Background / Wall

WanaLeime
01-16-2009, 02:10 PM
:popcorn:

Here is it is: HOW TO MAKE FOAM WALL/BACK GROUND

The stuff I used was "Handi Foam" its Black/D.Grey color and made specifically for aquascaping.

The stuff you buy at Home Depot "Great Stuff" or Lowe's "Tuff Stuff" can work but require an extra "expoy" sealant.

http://www.aquatic-eco.com/images/subcategories/large/P10053_rgb.jpg

Each can usually cost $7-$9 per can.

I bought a 12 pack ($6.25ea) from some east coast supplier and they gave me free shipping!!! I cant recall the website... just google it, im sure someone will find it.

now...the little "I wish knew that before I..." tips:

each 12oz can comes with a straw (dont lose it!! )
1cn will cover the back "wall" surface area of a 10gal. I used 7cns for my 90, I could have gotten away with 5cns but I wanted to add Depth and texture...

What are you putting it on Acrylic or all Glass?

Glass tanks or NEW tanks will require "beads", "dots" or "strips" of silicone for the foam to hold on to.
-if you do not do this, the foam will seperate from the glass!!! Put some silicone in random places but be sure to put some near edges and the corners...

Acrylic - NO NEED FOR SILICONE

Curing Time - is about 3 -10 mins for the skin (top layer) FULLY CURE is like 24-36 hrs.

Step by Step:
1. place aquarium on "back side" or the side you wish to apply the foam to. Dont forget to put a blanket or card board down to protect the galss on the outside...

*2. (for glass tanks only) Apply silicone. Now, you have a choice, wait for the silicone to cure or not.... I tired both ways and I didnt notice a difference....less fumes????

3. Put on OLD clothes and Latex gloves!!! It gets a bit messy.... Well, my method at least...

4. Shake up the can!!!! place the nozzle, and apply... It's going to come out like "skinny" POOP but it WILL expand. I like to go in a horizontal direction, you can go short or you can go long.... your pref... I also did MULTIPLE layers on random areas... try not to "break" your flow - meaning dont stop half way through can. It may get clogged or ozze out on you.

when applying the foam to the back wall, try to leave a 1/2" gap between the back wall from the side walls...to me it just looks better.

**********WARNING THIS STUFF IS STICKY!!!!***************

5. Wait between 3-10mins, for the "skin" to cure. You'll know when it's ready to be handled.... It's usually around 5mins, depending on the humidity in your area....

6. Once it's cured... Start pressing, squeezing, pinching, knuckling, fist twisting, imprintiing or flattening the foam. BECAREFULL NOT TO brake your glass!!!! I some times I use base rock to imprint shapes into the foam. Flatting also help the foam adhere to the glass better. But I like to leave some puffy areas.....

The main goal in this step is make it look "natural"...try to blend in the lines and layers...if you want...add more foam for that perfect "blend". Try to make the whole back ground look like one piece, use random lengths of foam so it looks natural....

:shocked: AND DONE........wait a day or two...water test (for bouyency?) if you did it right the foam ROCK WALL should stay put.

~Dennis

BTW - I did practice on a 10 gallon and card board before I applied my "skills" on C.Maximus....you know what they say practice makes perfect!!!! :bounce:

WanaLeime
01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
There you go Blake and Blaze..............and anyone else interested.... :)

barometer
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Awesome write-up Dennis. I've been getting quite a few inquiries about the foam background. Now I have a place to point people :p Thanks! :)

GoTakuF1
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Very nice Dennis. Cubicus Maximus has the best faux wall ever! And now, I have a thread to point people to if they want to achieve the same results.

DaveMorris
01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Home Depot now sells the Great Stuff for pond use. It is black and waterproof. Also remember that you don't need to limit your creativity to the back wall of your tank. Look at my build thread to see how I used the foam to make rock shelves out of PVC, eggcrate, and foam. I have lots of room for the fishies to swim around in and probably saved myself $500 worth of live rock.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32832&page=8

WanaLeime
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Anything for you guys Minh and Ed..

That's true dave...I remember reading your thread.....I did some experimenting with the foam....I found you can take a dremmel to it, grind the skin for the "porus look" and shape it too!!!! The rock shelves idea is awesome....Gonna have to incrop..those ideas on my next project.....in a few years... :)

Technoviking
01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
It's funny Dennis, I am almost re-creating CB. 90 cube with a foam background and an OM 4-way and Revolutions :p.

But I will be using acrylic rods for my rockwork. I am going to have a tank with the absolute most efficient use of in-tank space EVER! :D :D

88blazer
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I will be trying this on my new Cube:cool:

barometer
01-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Lol, Blake I hope you plan on spending about a week aquascaping then. 30x30 is TOUGH to work with, especially with larger rocks :rolleyes:
Well at least I have the ORIGINAL C. Max. :p

Cesarv4
03-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Any pics?

WanaLeime
10-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Cesarv,
sorry it took so long to get back to you on this... I'm currently in Japan.
If you click on my signature, you will find the pictures...

-Dennis