PDA

View Full Version : Hammer coral...bone loss?

socalaly
01-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Okay soooo let me start off back in june.. I got a PIF from Peter of two heads of hammer and it was always really pretty and bright but not alot of growth like my other spawns... I currently have torch coral, green with pink tip frog, and the brownish with green tip spawn and they are all thriving. so back to the story... I had it in a nanocube since june-oct...and then I purchased a 46 bow...not realizing after I did all my rock work I had placed it under the black center brace....so a few weeks go by and its bleaching out... Still haven't realized its the black bar...so I go to get my water tested...everything is good just needed to maybe up the alk... so i do but whatever... Finally a friend of my points out the black bar theory...f... thats it!! SO I move it to the right.... little lower in the tank but...it starts to get its some color back but not much. So It keeps getting smaller and smaller the tentacles. Anyway I noticed a few days ago that the bone seems to be thinning out???? LIke it was cut in half leaving the head and half of the bone. So I test my water again and everything is GOOD so im like wth??? Today I get a bug up my butt and rearrange the tank...so while moving the rocks I knocked the hammer...not hard... and broke in half??? what the heck??????????? It was as fragile as monti plate... btw my other spawns all great color, growth etc? so what gives?????

edit.. in the cube I had MH and now I have t5ho.

SDguy
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, this coral is pretty indestructible. It's physically impossible to lose skeleton, unless you had acidic water, and then all your corals would be dead :)

The branching hammer has a somewhat hollow skeleton, so yeah, you *can* break it...but not easily.

Dunno what to tell you. That thing lived through 95F stagnant water for 2 days. Just get your alk, ca, and mg correct...you should be fine. And it also is the FASTEST grower of all my Euphyllia, BTW.

socalaly
01-09-2009, 06:40 PM
negative my frog has grown way more.... it broke with the slightest touch... I don't know... I searched and there are some pests that eat euph...but I haven't seen them.

SDguy
01-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Well, like I said, just give it good water, flow and light, and it'll be just fine.