PDA

View Full Version : Tank & Stuff - NEVER USED

blnote
03-03-2005, 11:08 PM
All items were never used, they've been in storage for 12yrs.
Crazy but true. Finally convinced I'll never get it setup so I need to sell. Called a few local shops to figure out what it's worth, was told $140-$150 for the tank, so I'm thinking $200 for everything. If your not interested, I'd appreciate hearing if the price is at least about right. Thanks!

TruVu 55 Gal. long, black back, hood
Eheim 2213 canister filter
EBO-JAGGE 200w heater
(2) AquaClear 30 powerheads
Assorted decorative coral
Undergravel filter
50 lb. bag of crushed coral (not in picture)
Stand (homemade, friend gave it to me)

Reefkeeper
03-04-2005, 02:26 AM
My $0.02:

You have to remember that even though you never used it, its 12 years old and thus most people would consider it a used tank. Depending on how you stored it, there can be all sorts of problems that have developed in that amount of time.

Have you bothered to fill it and let it sit for a while to see if its still in perfect condition? Acrylic if stored improperly will become very brittle, not to mention possible color changes.

As for establishing your price, I am going to presume that you just called up a shop to find out how much the tank would go for new, rather than asking how much your specific tank would be worth.

From what I have seen on this board, there are lots of people who offer fair prices on their used equipment and those pieces generally disappear in the matter of a second. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of people who try to sell used equipment for what they paid or even just a small amount less. (10% -20% off)

I wish I could tell you that those people never get what they ask, but unfortunately there is a sucker born every minute and lots of people seem to lose the ability to think rationally when it comes to buying stuff for their tanks. In one instance someone was offended when I told them to take 40% the price of the new item to cover depreciation. Yet, thats what most stores knock off for used equipment (20% - 40% is standard for "like new" or gently used parts, when you get into things that have scratches or other tell tale signs 50%+ is generally what happens)

Of course, you have to realize that these markdowns are off of MSRP/retail price, not wholesale prices. Its because of that differential that the markdown ends up not giving away the store. (For example, at electronic stores, speakers are marked up 50% from cost, HT receivers usually 30-40%.....thus when you see pairs selling for 50% off, its actually going for cost plus whatever holdbacks/incentives that the company worked out.)

Hope you find someone to buy it...but you may want to take what I said into consideration.

corb66
03-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Buying a new setup is like buying a new car. Soon as you pull off the lot it is worth a lot less than you paid for it.

About a year ago I almost bought a setup from someone who paid $2500 for his reef setup at AW. He never used it and was selling it for $1200 and was still having problems.

I wish you luck. I am also trying to sell something and I want a certain price but I also need it out of my garage.

blnote
03-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the input. I did tell the shops it had been stored for 12 years, so I assumed they gave me a fair value. The tank was a gift so I didn't know it's original cost, but the filter alone cost me $100 on sale.

I agree that anything other than new out of the box is used, so I'm not trying to get what I paid.

Hopefully someone will make an offer so I can add to my new 12 string guitar fund.

Nick_Kun
03-04-2005, 08:58 AM
are you willing to sell just the powerheads and the heater? I'm setting up a 20gal prop tank and I'm in need of those items.

- nick

mojoreason
03-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by blnote
The tank was a gift so I didn't know it's original cost, but the filter alone cost me $100 on sale.

Filters have come a long way since you bought that one for $100. To be quite honest with you, it's not really worth much and I had a similar Eheim filter that I had a hard time giving away.

I am interested in the whole thing but would need to know if it's still holding water.

maus42
03-04-2005, 06:05 PM
I might be interested in buying only the tank if you're willing to sell it as a seperate item. If so let me know and perhaps we can work something out.

dbrooks
03-07-2005, 03:27 PM
I too, am interested in just the tank. Please let me know if it is still for sale.

Thanks

maus42
03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
I am still interested in the tank too...

dbrooks
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I, too, am still interested in this tank...very interested...most interested.

maus42
03-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by dbrooks
I, too, am still interested in this tank...very interested...most interested.

It's all your's man. Just spent all my tank money replacing tires on my car. I can no longer afford to buy the tank.

dbrooks
03-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Victory is mine!!

corb66
03-07-2005, 10:22 PM
WOW! You are actually buying something?

dbrooks
03-07-2005, 10:25 PM
sure, why not...? Do you need me to buy something from you?

corb66
03-07-2005, 10:41 PM
LOL...sure my stand for $301

dbrooks
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
the stand guy... Did you ever sell it?

I would buy it from you, but I must stand on principle...pun intended.

corb66
03-07-2005, 10:52 PM
still for sale but firm on the 100 for both the stand and canopy. It has a nice little corner in the garage till it sells.

mojoreason
03-08-2005, 10:55 AM
i don't think this guy is even here any longer. he had like 2 or 3 posts and never replied to emails or pms sent. if he does come back, i rescind my interest in the complete set-up.

blnote
03-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Sorry I was out for week.

I did respond to the initial emails (mojreason) and other's PM's.

DBrooks - your box is full.

Still have everything, did some research on past Ebay sales on exact same items, so I'll likely go that way. Someone was saying that you cant give away that Eheim, but on Ebay they sell same model new (marketed as Classic) for mid $60's, used for around $25.

mojoreason
03-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by blnote
Sorry I was out for week.

Someone was saying that you cant give away that Eheim, but on Ebay they sell same model new (marketed as Classic) for mid $60's, used for around $25.

wasn't trying to dog you out ... this site has people appear wanting to sell something and then they vanish just as fast - - WELCOME BACK! ;)

i said i had a hard time giving mine away ... eBay is crazy and i'm not trying to low-ball you or anything - - filters have come a long way ... bottom line.

i had a hard time getting rid of my old "used" Eheim. it's like an old Fluval - they are great but good God has Fluval come a long ways (at least in the whole siphoning to get it started arena), just like the Eheim - - caveat emptor: i use neither for saltwater and am only familiar with them from previous freshwater tanks (mainly turtles).

good luck selling it!

blnote
03-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks..

I appreciate the input I've gotten here, I haven't been into this for 12yrs+. Ebay is crazy!, I'm hoping to raise enough funds from old hobbies to support new ones.

I wish I'd had known about this site before, hell I wish the internet had been here earlier, would have been alot easier being a novice.

MrKrispy
03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
yes ebay is good for equipment stuff. I had bio-balls I got from Drs. Foster smith that i never used and no longer needed after I went to saltwater. I sold them on ebay and they went for more money than I paid to Drs. F&S.

fier138
03-10-2005, 01:44 PM
How much do you want for the decorative corals?

colindoug3
03-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by dbrooks
the stand guy... Did you ever sell it?

I would buy it from you, but I must stand on principle...pun intended.
you rock. i cant stand it when people say no pun intended, yes, the pun was completely intentional!

edit: oh, and corb.... what size tank is that hood and stand for? im probably going to end up buildin' me one. i have plans for MH :eek:

corb66
03-11-2005, 06:30 AM
colindoug3,

The stand is 36" x 19". It came with a 70G with the tank at 24" tall. The canopy is 10" tall so ample room for MH.
I am asking $100. (reduced from $150)

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4075

colindoug3
03-11-2005, 02:22 PM
hmm looking for something smaller for my 29. great price though.

corb66
03-11-2005, 06:17 PM
"great price though."

I think so too. Maybe I should have Minh sell it for me. He seems to be a better salesman.

dbrooks
03-11-2005, 08:43 PM
$70

mojoreason
03-11-2005, 09:28 PM
how come no one is b!tch!ing at you all for "thread jacking?" :rolleyes:

corb66
03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
LOL....man you are a riot!

corb66
03-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Wow...hmmm...sorry...will not post here again. LOL

mojoreason
03-11-2005, 09:32 PM
seriously - anyone on this thread from Hawai'i????

:D