PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae

H4Rk3R
12-20-2008, 01:40 PM
hey there... i got some LR recently and I guess there was some bubble algae on it... =/... its moved to different spots in my tank and im wondering what i can do to remove it... anyone know of a fish or something that naturally eats this type of algae or anything that i could do to fix it... thanks... i guess i'll be searching for this...

NGN8DOGG
12-20-2008, 02:02 PM
emerald crabs

99sf
12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I wish you good luck with your bubble algae eradication project. I have had the same issue in my office tank. If you can't find a hungry emerald crab that eats the algae... other methods of removal include removing the rock from the water and carefully slicing off the bubbles where they meet the rock with a sharp-edged credit card that has been cut into pieces. I also got desperate and took the worst pieces of live rock and soaked them overnight in a bleach solution. That killed the bubble algae, but also the beneficial bacteria. It also required a log of rinsing & soaking in freshwater after the bleach solution. Not the ideal method to try!

H4Rk3R
12-21-2008, 11:43 AM
ya its not too bad yet... i think i'll pull the smaller LRs out and used the manual removal... maybe i'll pick up an emerald crab too... although i dont really want one in my tank... =P

sandiegoreefish
01-15-2009, 12:09 AM
i think there cool crabs they wont hurt anything

vlad_acosta
01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
try a turkey baster depending how big the algea balls are and what size tip on the turkey baster...then you dont have to move the rocks

H4Rk3R
01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I picked up one emerald crab... he seems to be stickin to the left of the tank (as the bubble algea is staying in check there)...

i'll try that turkey baster idea... just have to cut the tip of the turkey baster and boom... vacuum them lil green things into the baster... and tada... well thats the plan...

thanks for the ideas...