PDA

View Full Version : ich

bluielover
11-27-2008, 04:12 PM
so,i just noticed that my blue tang has ich. what are the steps to eliminate it?

does someone have meds i can buy or if youll charge me to put it in your hospital tank???

thanks in advance

KingRB
11-27-2008, 05:19 PM
How big of a tank is he in? Tangs love to swim long distances quickly, and to put them in a smaller environment will cause them stress and they can die from stress-related illnesses (such as “Ich”).

Puff_love
11-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I had a spare 29 gallon setting around and set it up for a qt tank. My puffer and clown had ich so I put them in there and used some copper for 14 days. I then put them back into the main tank and the ich never came back. You have to remove the carbon or the copper will be absorbed by it.

socalaly
11-27-2008, 05:59 PM
IMO I would leave him in and treat with a medicated food and garlic... less stress.

chipcount
11-27-2008, 06:27 PM
catching him or the process of catching could cause even more stress. i used garlic guard and it worked for me

bluielover
11-27-2008, 06:41 PM
i know, i know, but hes in a 60 gallon right now. i know its small. ill do the garlic guard since im afraid that copper will harm verts right???

thanks so so much for so many replys so fast. any ideas on whos open? do i have time till tomorrow?

ricenoodle
11-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I got a 2 new tubes of metro and focus that i can loan you until this blows over. Ich sucks, let me know if you need it.

OSIDEARNOLD
01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
So you can use garlic guard in the main tank? even if i have inverts and corals?

stephj03
01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
garlic guard should be safe in the display. It's main purpose it to entice the fish to eat. To my knowledge it doesn't harm coral/inverts.

ricenoodle
01-14-2009, 12:07 AM
i put garlic extreme in my fish food 2-3 times a week to help boost immunity. 8 mos later, so far so good.

xrated
02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
im tryin to get it off of my copper...where is this garlic treatment at that I can buy??

mikeyfromsd
02-04-2009, 11:42 PM
I got my garlic extreme from Petco in Carmel Mountain. I think they are they only petco that sells them near North County. Give them a call or PM specvjeff to see if they have it in stock.

gjunon
02-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Garlic did nothing for my fish. I lost 6 fish already and had to QT my fish and use formalin and malachite green. it is called quick cure.

once again garlic will not do anything...

xrated
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM
i hear that alot about the garlic..its a hit or miss it seems. I have pellets with garlic and of course didnt do much.. :(

mikeyfromsd
02-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Here's what gets me about people's remedies about garlic, QT, and whatnot. From my personal experience, I have found the less you **** with the fish, the better they do. I've heard of people moving fish to QT tanks and then loosing them in there. I've heard of QT tanks and the fish making it through. IMO, the less you stress them out, the better. I've moved my hippo tang from a 29 gal to a Solana to a 120. Each move caused a ich outbreak. Once he settled in though, the ich was gone. He's been in my 120 for 4 months, and he only broke out once, and that was when he was first put in there.

IMO, I feel the reefer causes more harm to the fish moving him rather than just letting nature take it's course and trying to minimize stress. If the fish isnt strong enough to make it though an ich outbreak from stress due to a move and introduction into a new tank, it's not going to last long in an enclosed environment.