PDA

View Full Version : Window + Tank = ?

Lost
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
so my wife got mad at me for not going to work today and after an arguement she decided to drop some windex in my tank. a whole bottle. so i quickly did a 50% water change took some of the corals out and put them in qt. but my questions are:

does the sand bed need to be replaced?

will i just have to start the system over again from the begining?

can i keep any corals in there or do i need to take em all out?

what else should i do?

Fine Fins
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
"TELL," the wife about your new tank your buying to replace the old one because she ruined your old one and it's her punishment for taking it out on some poor animals rather then being mature and talking about things like grown-ups.

LotsaFishies
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
holy crap! :eek:

Really not sure of what windex will/won't do...some safe practices are to be sure to run lots and lots of carbon and do several w/changes over the next several days...

Best of luck! Any problems so far?

Bogg
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
omg man that's awfull MMM new girlfriend pronto... well after you make up with her forgiver her and have her re-stock your tank. Then ditch her. Unless you really deserved it for some other reason!> lol j'k

Lost
11-10-2008, 09:22 PM
holy crap! :eek:

Really not sure of what windex will/won't do...some safe practices are to be sure to run lots and lots of carbon and do several w/changes over the next several days...

Best of luck! Any problems so far?

well...nothing wants to open up. Everythings been closed up for bout an hour..the problem is i dont have any carbon till i buy some tomorrow when the stores open up. n.e thing i can do mean while?

seahorse_man
11-10-2008, 09:35 PM
dude,you wife needs to go if she is going to do stupid immature sh*t like that........sorry but I had to say it

I mean what is she going to do if you forget to lift the lid,pour gas on your car and light it

limestro
11-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Aside from bickering with the misses...I would suggest doing a water change. Windex contains "ammonia" which is harmful to the inhabitants. I would also suggest doing a water change but do its in slow portions. Instead of doing a 50% water change. Try splitting it up like 5 x 10% ever few hours or so. The purpose of this is to prevent a large param swing (i.e. temp, calc, mag, etc.). The purpose of the water change is to dillute the ammonia as much as possible. Also, depending on where you reside the Walmart by Frys (Qualcomm Stadium) is a 24 hour walmart. I'm not sure if they stock carbon or what not but its worth a try. You can try calling first. Good luck.

~Mike

NGN8DOGG
11-10-2008, 10:47 PM
sorry but, What a B!tch. Animal cruelty is not chill at all

SolRo
11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I'd do a massive dose of Prime to nutralize a lot of the ammonia.

Do a 200% or 300% water change if your change water is relatively close to the params of your tank water. So much chemical in your system will do more damage than any amount of water changes.

Puff_love
11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Nothing really to add except I would probably be in jail right now if I were you. All jokes aside I'm sorry for any losses.

SolRo
11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Though now that I think about it, if you haven't done at least 100% water change by this point, or haven't dumped a good amount of ammonia detox into your system, most of the tank is dead.

You can rinse out the sand if you don't feel like spending money buying new stuff, it's a lot of work though. PM me if you want to know how.