PDA

View Full Version : Somethings eating my fish!

64physhy
10-27-2008, 10:15 AM
My tank's been up and running since March. About a month ago, I put in 2 peppermint shrimp because I noticed a couple aptasia and wanted to get rid of them before they got out of control. About a week ago, my wife noticed that something had bee munching on the starfish. A day later, it was completely gone. Then my other ruby red shrimp, which is about 4 times the size of the peppermints, ended up eaten. Then a couple days ago, my Yellow Watchman Goby got a chunk taken out of it. The only thing added recently was the 2 peppermints. Could they be doing all that damage?

barometer
10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Highly doubtful that your peps are doing the deed, they're most likely just cleaning up the aftermath. Your cleanup crew will take care of casualties very fast, even if they're the result by natural causes. You may have a hidden predator like a crab or something as well.

64physhy
10-27-2008, 10:59 AM
I thought it was highly unlikely too, but they are the only thing that's been added in months, except for the goby, and he's one of the victims. Chris (Losta Fishies) checked it out and couldn't find anything either (I personally haven't been able to check because I'm halfway around the world right now).

BigAir
10-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Very possible that it is a mantis shrimp that hitchhiked in on some rock. They will attack other shrimp, crabs and fish.
As for the star, they will start to eat themselves if/ when their food source runs dry.

ajmommy02
10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I would guess a garilla crab or manits shrimp as well. Adding the peppermint shrimp may have taken some of the left over food whatever it is was eating before. Now it's getting hungry and eating your fish :(

iwantone
10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
there is NO WAY your peppermint shrimp killed your fish. They will pick at dead fish, as well as clean fish sometimes. Your fish got killed by something else.