PDA

View Full Version : clown fish disease

vlad_acosta
10-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I think this is what my true perc just got...i just introduced another perc yesterday and now it has the white slime covering its body its sitting on the sand bed and breathing rapidly...Anyone have a quarantine tank already set up i can drop him off in or borrow...from what i've just read shortly it has to do with maybe stress and the new introduction...it said to use a Formalin treatment...does this sound right? heres the link my cown looks just like the one in the last pic

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showpost.php?p=914673&postcount=2

vlad_acosta
10-24-2008, 06:47 AM
nevermind hes crab feed this morning:mad::mad::mad:...thanks anyway

Fink Ployd
10-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Be careful that the other one doesnt get it. Yes they usually go quick when they get it.

vlad_acosta
10-27-2008, 05:10 PM
So anyone have any thought or suggestions how i can try to prevent this in the future????

Flamehawk
10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
I forgot what it is called, but if is what I think it is that particular thing your fish got is very deadly and hard to cure. I remember Ron at OG almost always have anemone in the tank where he put clowns in(lower tanks one the right, right where you enter the fishroom from the dry goods area).

Do you have a anemone in your tank that the clown fish can host in? I always have anemone or hammer coral that my clown can host in. My clowns never got sick, not that I can tell anyway. So I believe is important for clown fish's health for him/her to have anemone to host in. Recently lost a 5 year old true perc., no obvious exterior wound. So I think is due to old age. I still have one left, so I am in the process of finding a friend for him/her.

maybe our clown fish expert on the forum can shine some light on this.

vlad_acosta
10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
I have an anemone for my Maroon Clown in my fish only and hes good... but im hesitant to put him & the BTA back in the reef...im not getting anymore clown for a while...and this guy i've had for a little over a year and i just recently got him the BTA[which he loves]...i split the clowns when i got the perc cause i know this guy would beat them up

imHUNG
11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
anyone else have any experience with this? I'm not sure but my new clown in my nano might have this.

vlad_acosta
11-25-2008, 12:26 PM
anyone else have any experience with this? I'm not sure but my new clown in my nano might have this.

treat them fast or they'll be gone in 24hrs...if they start sinking to the bottom you dont have much time:eek:

imHUNG
11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
well it's a really light white stuff on the tail and has been there since Friday a day after I got him. So I don't know.

vlad_acosta
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
well it's a really light white stuff on the tail and has been there since Friday a day after I got him. So I don't know.

If you can keep him in QT for a couple days cause he can infect the other clowns...I had one True Perc & introduced a second which is the one that was sick but didnt show any sign till a few days later but within 24hrs the original perc has signs and it just keeped spreading...if the white stuff is like a slime coat and it keep spreading its definately sick...even if some of the slime comes off a bit he will get more within a few hours. I was going to use Cupramine to treat but i didnt get a chance to buy some by the next morning...If you treat with cupramine use a seperate tank or container dont treat in your main tank....make sure you dont add any more fish until they are all healthy for a couple weeks...good luck