PDA

View Full Version : whaddya think? One big pipe or two small ones?

SDMike
03-14-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm about to drill my inherited acrylic tank. RC's flow calc. says I need min 1.25" of drain and 14" linear of overflow to handle 900gph in my 36x15x20 tank.

Better to do 2 x 1" Dursos? 2 x 3/4" Dursos? or 1 x 1.25"? Or a combo of 1" and 3/4"?

Nothing's drilled and I haven't bought the bulkheads.

What say y'all?

Mike

MarLooney
03-14-2004, 01:23 AM
where do you need 900gph going to?

SDMike
03-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by MarLooney
where do you need 900gph going to?

900gph is what I'm aiming for as a return to the tank therefore it is how much I need to drain to the sump.

Mike

MarLooney
03-14-2004, 10:42 PM
why do you need to drain that much to the sump?

SDMike
03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
why do you need to drain that much to the sump?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

M

MarLooney
03-15-2004, 10:48 AM
no i was just thinking about what sd mexican suggested about not having high flow in the fuge/sump and using pumps in-tank for the majority of the flow. i thought that was a good way to set things up, and i think i'll go that route when i build my sump/fuge. it doens't look as if you're going that route and i was wondering why.

SDMike
03-15-2004, 10:23 PM
no i was just thinking about what sd mexican suggested about not having high flow in the fuge/sump and using pumps in-tank for the majority of the flow. i thought that was a good way to set things up, and i think i'll go that route when i build my sump/fuge. it doens't look as if you're going that route and i was wondering why.

At which point, I offer you my apologies. The thing I've done in the sump now is to have the first baffle a little lower than the last, allowing most of the water to go over the top of the refugium area.

The other idea suggested on RC is to use a closed loop with another MAG pump for added flow. I'm cogitating on that one... It means drilling more holes, plumbing (hear that Chap?!), etc.

Mike

sd_mexican
03-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey SDMike and Mar,

In my opinion, I think 900 gph through the sump will
be noisy and I think you will have micro bubble troubles in the
main tank. You could use baffles, but some people still have problems. Like marlo said, I would go with low flow throught the
sump and hi flow in the tank. Maybe some tunze power heads
lots of flow and low wattage. Just my 2 cents. LMK what you
end up doing.

sd_mex

brahm
03-19-2004, 01:29 PM
<--- cheapo sump.. 29 gallon tank, rio 2500, Amircle overflow..

SDMike
03-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by sd_mexican
Hey SDMike and Mar,

In my opinion, I think 900 gph through the sump will
be noisy and I think you will have micro bubble troubles in the
main tank. You could use baffles, but some people still have problems. Like marlo said, I would go with low flow throught the
sump and hi flow in the tank. Maybe some tunze power heads
lots of flow and low wattage. Just my 2 cents. LMK what you
end up doing.

sd_mex

Could be...

I have a MAG7 in the sumpfugium now going back up thru a SCWD that all I hear is the water running down the inside of the 1.5" pipe. I figure going to a MAG9.5 won't be too much more noise.

It may be a moot point anyways... I have a line on an 80... I don't know if its pre-drilled or not, so we'll have to go look at it.

Amazing, musical, magical tanks are going to happen in my house again. (Potentially) In with the 80, out with the 40L, upstairs for an African Cichlid tank goes the 46 acrylic, sump goes back under the 29, and everyon'e wet and happy again.

Mike

sdreefer21
03-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Why not go 2 x 1? probably a little quiter and a little safer.

SDMike
03-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by sdreefer21
Why not go 2 x 1? probably a little quiter and a little safer.

That's what I'm leaning towards.

If one is good, then two are better...

M