PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO device

jrjuiliano
10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
OVERVIEW:
I decided, based on other reviews and the technology, to purchase a Tunze Osmolator 3155 auto top-off device (ATO) recently, so here is my review (yeah, it's wordy).

My first impression when looking at this over the Internet was "HOLY CRAP ALMOST $200!!!1one", but luckily I don't do many impressions.

The cost was justified, in part, by the fact that the unit comes with it's own pump; this means one less thing to find a power socket for. The other justification was with the sensor that comes with the unit, vs. a plunger or similar device that could get clogged up for any reason. The one plunger sensor that comes with the unit is on the high side, and stays out of the water until there's a problem.

OUT OF THE BOX:
Everything was packaged nice and neat when it arrived from Marine Depot (it's nice having them in Anaheim!). It included brackets, screws, the controller, power cord, 6ft of tubing, the pump and instructions. The pump had the two power wires set up already to just put into the controller leads; I didn't have to strip any wire. The only problem was that there were so many "things" in the hardware bag that didn't give a good explanation of what they were for. Good thing there were pictures!

TOOLS NEEDED:
You'll need a flat head screwdriver (medium) to screw in the parts for the bracket.
You will need another flat head screwdriver (small) to screw in the wire leads from the pump to the controller.

INSTRUCTIONS:
The instructions were obviously written by someone who's primary language isn't English, but that's OK. There were plenty of photos in there to help get the point across if something didn't quite make sense. There are different configurations available for mounting.

SETUP:
I decided to go with taking both of the brackets and making one long one. That way the sensors are all on one stick. The only thing I couldn't get to work right was setting the water tubing on the top of the bracket; the screw wouldn't stay!

Set your level spot with the sensor and then set the spot that you consider too high with the plunger sensor. Then plug the sucker in and watch it work! I still have to make adjustments on mine since I'm not sure where the optimal places are for the sensors or the brackets. Plus I'm planning on re-doing my sump so I didn't want anything permanent at this time.

OPERATION:
When the level needs water added you can hear the little pump kick in and whine a bit until the water level is reached. Not that big a deal but it IS noticeable.

There seemed to be plenty of cable / hose / whatever length to mount and keep clean and dry. I haven't mounted mine yet permanently (see above).

I tested the "too high" sensor by simply pulling up the plunger sensor until the alarm sound went off. The alarm wasn't annoying at all.

The optical sensor really does work great! I could see when the water reached the sensor by about 2mm or so it would shut off the pump.

The controller is clean, easy to understand. From the instructions I read that you can turn off the alarm noise, but that means pulling the box apart and working a switch (like older models of JBJ's, I guess). Like I said, the alarm didn't bug me so much so I left it alone. The unit comes with two pieces of velcro to mount somewhere.

This unit also has an automatic shutoff, like the JBJ. I think it will go for 10 minutes before auto shutoff, and will also not pump if the water level in the fresh water tank is too low.

OVERALL:
I'm pretty much happy overall aside from paying that much money for an ATO device. I am hoping that it will more than make up for it when it gets hot out and the evap gets worse, or see it in the health of my corals and fish.

The one thing I was disappointed with was that the brackets weren't made to mount 100% to a simple 10-20 gallon tank with a lip. But it works. The manual suggested using silicone to mount everything straight to the glass if it didn't work right, and I may try that eventually. But for now the brackets are in place.

Pics to come later... :)

J.R.

GoTakuF1
10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Nice review, the difference between this and other ATO units won't be obvious until years (yes, years) down the road after it's been running without err while others need lots of maintenance or replacement or may have failed. With most of Tunze's products, you do get what you pay for and this is another time tested product from them.

jrjuiliano
10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks. So far it's doing great after a day. And since yesterday was frickin' HOT even in O'side, it let me feel better seeing the water bucket had been used a bit during the day when I came home from work! :)

nahtanoj
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
great review! i'd love to see pics of the set up.

barometer
10-02-2008, 10:23 AM
w00t! Thanks for the review. Mine's on order.....can't wait :)

Haeun
10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Sweet. Always been thinking about getting one but just could never make the leap.

Still trying to decide between an osmolator or an acjr.

jrjuiliano
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
great review! i'd love to see pics of the set up.

Hopefully tonight my computer recovery works! :mad:

If it does I'll get some pics out then for ya.

odysseysteve
10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Nice review, thanks for the info. I have been planning to get the 3155 and your input makes me feel more secure about dropping the bucks.

jrjuiliano
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, my computer's back up, so here are the photos... might edit this if it doesn't come out right...