PDA

View Full Version : Dying Tank, Ich?

ricenoodle
09-07-2008, 03:09 PM
So my tank has been running fine for 6 mos and my livestock is starting to go one by one. i lost a singapore angel and then a royal gamma the next day. that was last week. This week my mandarin dragonet who's been eating frozen mysis solidly started to have the same symptoms. First the fish wouldn't eat for 3 or 4 days straight and hides in the shadows all the time. then it's gasping for air all day, on that same day it'll "spasm" and there's white "fuzz" all over it, then the inevitable no movement and the hermits climbs all over the fish to feast, that's when i remove it. i am thinking it's the last stage of ich but i've been feeding the tank frozen mixed with metro and focus for the last 2 weeks but no luck. I had to bring the dragonet back to vetspets where i got him from to see if they can recooperate him because i'm at a lost. my parameters are good, only nitrates is at 10 ppm but that shouldn't be enough to kill a fish right? my cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp and my pair of clownfish and sandsifter goby are doing fine, eating like champs but i just don't know what might have cause a die off like that. Any help would be appreciated cause my daughter is getting pissed that all the fishes are "at the hospital".

Fishaholic
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
check your salinty, other than that run carbon and do a %25 water change

-Jerehmy

ricenoodle
09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah i've been changing 10% every other day for 5 days now. i lost 1/2 my livestock so far and yeah.........

lutte100
09-16-2008, 10:32 PM
i had a problem like that several months ago i did regular water changes, also i soaked the food in garlic extreme and added an ich treatment and last of all a fresh water dip and the ich disappeared

iVgOnMaD
09-16-2008, 11:38 PM
doesnt sound like ich to me, we need more details, what symptoms did the fish show, was it like mucus over the fish or actual little white dots.

ricenoodle
09-17-2008, 10:23 PM
All the fish had the same symptoms 1 after another, first they would hide and not eat for 2-3 days, then when i did get a glimpse at any of them during that time they would have either white spots all over them like sprinkled salt or as in the case of my clownfishes there would be white "fuzz" all over them. Breathing is very rapid and toward the 3rd or 4th day they would be at a corner closest to the top. On dying day they would be half or total cover in a whitish fuzz and spaz out and die. i did some research and sounds like ich is spreading from one fish to another. now my pair of clownfish (the only survivors) are in qt and the main tank will be fishless for 6 weeks. hopefully that will do it. They are still breathing very rapidly and i am dosing with cupramine and maintaining constant copper level. But they are not eating for 3 days now. Soaked the food in Extreme Garlic but they would take it in their mouths and spit it out. Same with Frozen mysis. anything else i'm missing?

iVgOnMaD
09-17-2008, 10:46 PM
its just a waiting game now

Lic3nc3ToKlLL
09-24-2008, 12:08 AM
that happened to my onyx perc with the white spots after it's death and not eating and breathing very heavy....it eventually died but I realized that ich did take over...dose the tank with ich and when you do take out the carbon and shut off your skimmer and keep maintaining your water changes...I had ich on my sailfin as well and with the ich medication I used cleared it in a week and I got the ich medication that's safe for inverts as well so it also helped since some corals become affected from most ich medications.

Trickman2
09-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Water changes and us Focus and Metrodizole and garlic guard on the food. Do a search on ick and you should find more info on the above.