PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI question..

bler
03-12-2004, 07:18 PM
I just got my RO/DI unit a few days ago.. I got it all setup last night, and ran it for ~1HR to clean out all the preserv's in the RO membrane... well after that I tried tasting a glass of the water and it tasted great..

soo, I turned off the water supply to the unit for the night (because I didn't need it running all night), and then when I switched it on again to top-off the water in the morning, I tried tasting a glass and it tasted... well bitter, almost saline... so I ran out some of the water and then tried it again and it was much better...

now for the question(s)...

should I not be 'turning off' the system ?

is the weird tasting water normal or not ? could it still be some of the preservative in the membrane that did not get washed out the night before ?

[G]h0s']['
03-13-2004, 04:56 AM
If you have a TDS meter (total dissolved solids), you can check the purity of the ro/di water. A reading of 0ppm would be perfect. I turn off my system and fill up 5gallon jugs...maybe 1-2 jugs for my reef and 2 jugs for the house drinking water. The readings pretty much stay at 0ppm with my TDS meter. The taste usually stays pretty clean, but I use the TDS meter as a difinitive check for purity. So to answer your question, I turn my ro/di unit off and use it as needed during the week without any adverse effects to purity. You can also "flush" your unit if it has that option. I do that every 2 weeks or so for about 15minutes to help try to preserve the ro membrane. What brand ro/di unit do u use? -Mel

bler
03-13-2004, 12:51 PM
I got the aquasafe 6-stage 75GPD aquarium system... it does have the flush on the system as well.. today it seemed much better..

although one of the pre-filters leaks, I need to reseat it and the o-ring and it should fix things..

[G]h0s']['
03-14-2004, 02:11 PM
I have the same model. Love it. :D What does your tds meter read? Should be zero since it's new. My raw tap reads 365!

bler
03-14-2004, 03:55 PM
i don't have a tds meter.. so I really don't know.. i guess i'll have to buy one...

[G]h0s']['
03-14-2004, 04:07 PM
I bought it from aquasafe as well. it was $25 bucks, and shipped on the same shipment as my ro/di unit. If you like, you can borrow it. I live in national city. I'm planning to go to Octopus gardens right now to sell them 2 sun coral colonies. If you would like to meet tonight, I will bring my meter with me. I will be there at 430-5pm.