PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is on my lr?

deeboi
07-30-2008, 09:43 AM
i have these purple worms with legs crawling around my live rocks. they kinda look like centipedes with all their legs. does any one know what is it? is it harmful to my tank?

also i noticed some of my sand is brown. it doesn't look so much like algae, rather it looks like the "grains" are just brown themselves.

i will try to get a pic, i only have my cp camera.

blazzent
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
those worms may be a bristleworms and if so they are harmless to your tank, but if you touch them with your hand they will sting you.

also is your tank still in its cycle?

deeboi
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
yeah its cycling still..it's going on the third week.

plus hate to say, but used tap until now, including top off but i make sure to dechlor and let the salt mix at least 24hrs.

deeboi
07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
after doing a search, they look like bristleworms. should i just leave them, or is there something that i can get to eat them?

my tank actually been cycling three weeks, i tested a few days ago and ammonias was btwn .50 and 1.0, while nitrite was at .25, sg 1.20.

blazzent
07-30-2008, 02:24 PM
bristle worms just leave them, if you've seen one there are definitly more.
as for the water are you mixing your own saltwater using tap? If you cant make it to pk for saltwater, i would at least use the water they sell at those windmill water sites around town. You can also get free saltwater from the scripps pier, there is a sticky note on here with a map to it.

deeboi
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
i plan to get some this weekend. i been using tap to topp off my sump. mixed and declor. and also tap was used to fill my tank. i haven't changed the water yet, but plan on using RO/DI for water changes. might get some scripps this weekend.

is my brown sand algae? it doesn't look hairy or anything it's just like "grainy" or the grains are brown. i noticed it the other day and seems like it's spreading a little. it's probably from the tap, i'm guessing.

Redeye
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
all normal new tank stuff
the brown on the sand is Diatoms
Mixing your own tap is ok, been doing it for years, can't waste even more time of my life hauling water around
The main downside is the tap water in most areas here is high in TDS, causing excessive algae growth and blooms sometimes
RODI is the best way to go, with quality salt mix

deeboi
07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
all normal new tank stuff
the brown on the sand is Diatoms
Mixing your own tap is ok, been doing it for years, can't waste even more time of my life hauling water around
The main downside is the tap water in most areas here is high in TDS, causing excessive algae growth and blooms sometimes
RODI is the best way to go, with quality salt mix

thanks..i feel the same way about using tap. on my old freshwater tanks i always used tap. saltwater just has so much more to it, and everybody says better water (RO/DI) at least. coming from the days of hooking the python up to the bathroom sink lol..