PDA

View Full Version : PVC glue?

jonn13
07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
What kind of glue do you use to bond your pvc.
I do not like mine anymore!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn137/johnpbrooks/glue_sucks.jpg

I was using ISP Weld-On Primer then ISP Weld-On PVC Plastic Cement

jhAWK21
07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Oatey products. lo-V.O.C. purple primer & black lo-V.O.C. ABS CEMENT (with reduced solvent emissions)

captainlumber
07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Red Hot Blue Glue. No sanding. No primer. Hasn't failed me yet.

RussM
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
IME, what PVC glue is used doesn't matter much... it's proper assembly technique that makes the difference between a good joint or a bad one.

SoCalBoo
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
jhawk...ABS cement on PVC? My plumber buddy says big no no...pressurized rated glue vs. non-pressure rated.

Anyhow, red hot blue glue has always done right by me, but you've got to move quick. If you like to take your time, the clear oatey pvc glue, medium body, works great too. The only IPS glue I've been impressed with is their stuff for flexible PVC.

UBC says you should use primer even for red hot blue. I do as a precaution on my tanks...but I've done my entire irrigation system (which sits at about 85 psi) without primer and had no issues.

If you do use red hot blue, you've got to get the pieces together fast. It sets super quick. Practice on a few scraps if you've got worries. But the best way to go, IMO. Buy a pvc cutter if you haven't already. cuts clean, no burrs, no sanding, fast.

jhAWK21
07-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Cool. Thanks socal. I'll look into it...

jonn13
07-30-2008, 05:53 AM
I will give the Red Hot a chance.
Closed loop springs a leek=
Big hole in the wall, new carpet riped up, one man in the dog house.
(my wife loves the new look. :rolleyes:)

Any tips on assembly technique.
(I have a pvc cutter)

RussM
07-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Any tips on assembly technique
cut pipe pieces clean and square; remove any burrs
clean & roughen mating surfaces with 100 or 120 grit sandpaper
use primer generously on both mating surfaces
apply glue to both surfaces.. no need to glob it on heavily, but don't be stingy either.
after applying glue, immediately join pieces with a twisting motion (60-90 degrees), making sure the pipe is seated fully inside the fitting (I think this is critical)
work quickly, especially if using Red Hot Blue
let dry at least as long as recommended by the glue's instructions
use a slower-setting glue (like Oatey clear) if positioning/alignment is really important, i.e. under- or behind-tank plumbing... gives you a few extra seconds for fine-tuning

mazilla
07-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Like Russ said, Twist the pipes once they are glued until you see a complete ring of glue around the seal. For some places I dont even use glue, like joints that need to be seperated down the line, but are hanging over the sump so if it leaks it goes in the sump. For those I just use a **** load of teflon tape.

jonn13
07-30-2008, 07:56 AM
cut pipe pieces clean and square; remove any burrs
clean & roughen mating surfaces with 100 or 120 grit sandpaper
use primer generously on both mating surfaces
apply glue to both surfaces.. no need to glob it on heavily, but don't be stingy either.
after applying glue, immediately join pieces with a twisting motion (60-90 degrees), making sure the pipe is seated fully inside the fitting (I think this is critical)
work quickly, especially if using Red Hot Blue
let dry at least as long as recommended by the glue's instructions
use a slower-setting glue (like Oatey clear) if positioning/alignment is really important, i.e. under- or behind-tank plumbing... gives you a few extra seconds for fine-tuning

That is what I did but I did not sand. Only put glue on one side.
Sounds like the two steps I did not do may have been my down fall.

Well at least it was not the tank on the hard wood floors.
I better redo the plumbing to the chiller on that tank.
(Or I maybe sleeping in my car.:lol:)

RussM
07-30-2008, 08:15 AM

The technique I described hasn't let me down yet. I have very high water pressure, and I've had to replace almost all of the sprinkler system the previous owner of my house installed due to leaks and failed joints. I've had pipes get broken, and PVC fittings split at the seam, but not one of my glue jobs has failed:)

EvilReef
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Always, always, ALWAYS glue both sides of your joint. We learned this the hard way, too. Christies Red Hot Blue is our weapon of choice. Hands down, the best thing we have found to cut PVC is a Ryobi chop saw. Clean cuts, no burrs or cracks, and built our farm and many, many clients tanks without ever needing sanding, etc. Just cut 'em, glue 'em, and slam 'em together. Beauty!

SoCalBoo
07-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Well at least it was not the tank on the hard wood floors.
I better redo the plumbing to the chiller on that tank.
(Or I maybe sleeping in my car.:lol:)

sanding ain't really necessary, but it is a good recommendation if you are having failure issues. I only do it if I have issues getting a clean cut, which pretty much is piping larger than my pvc cutter can handle (more than 1 1/2"). then, i usually sand the edges to get rid of the burrs.

coating both sides is pretty darn important...pvc glue works different than standard 'glues', which adhere two substances together, often of different make up. pvc glue is kind of like a solvent, which 'melts' both sides together, akin to a metal weld. if both sides don't have the solvent, you may have problems melting them together.

Only warning with red hot blue - you've got to move fast. use primer - better to be safe than sorry.

jonn13
07-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for your input.
I'm sure i will have better luck need time.

sucker_fish
08-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Another way to cut PVC is to use Kite string, use it like those cheapo wire saw things that used to come in the survival knifes. Makes a really smooth cut, and its really cheap..just a tid bit of hopefully useful info.

WanaLeime
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Do all the preps. Debur, clean, wipe...and use CHIRSTY'S HOT GLUE :)

Live Water Aquariums
08-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Christy's red hot blue +1. A lot of good advice on this thread. I never use primer. And it works on flex pvc, abs also, Great stuff. Just be careful it's tougher to make a clean looking seal. Also of coarse coat both sides and give it a twist as it goes in(not after) but just a little twist, not too much. Or just hire a professional so you stay out of the doghouse and make sure they are backed by insurance, then you have nothing to worry about.

SoCalBoo
08-14-2008, 07:38 AM
primer or no primer with Red Hot Blue??

A couple of interesting tid bits: the bottle says no primer need. BUT, primer is needed, even with Red Hot Blue, to confirm to UBC (uniform building code) requirements. A pvc connection without primer is considered below the applicable building standard, and failure to use it can get a contractor/sub in hot water (no pun intended) if they don't use primer. Luckily, most pvc stays out of a structure and failures aren't nearly as catastrophic outdoors as they are indoors.

With that said, the only time I can remember using primer with red hot blue is on an aquarium. All of my outside irrigation are no primer, and no failure yet. I even used red hot blue underwater, totally wet application, to fix my pool auto-fill. worked fine as I found out after doing a partial drain last summer.

if it were me, I'd use primer. it ain't gonna hurt, it is cheap, doesn't slow you down much, and if anything ever goes wrong again, you won't second guess yourself for not using it. just wear some nitrile/latex gloves when you assemble...darn primer stains your fingers for a couple of days. Or maybe I am just an idiot for not being able to keep it off my fingers....

Live Water Aquariums
08-14-2008, 06:35 PM
primer or no primer with Red Hot Blue??

A couple of interesting tid bits: the bottle says no primer need. BUT, primer is needed, even with Red Hot Blue, to confirm to UBC (uniform building code) requirements. A pvc connection without primer is considered below the applicable building standard, and failure to use it can get a contractor/sub in hot water (no pun intended) if they don't use primer. Luckily, most pvc stays out of a structure and failures aren't nearly as catastrophic outdoors as they are indoors.

With that said, the only time I can remember using primer with red hot blue is on an aquarium. All of my outside irrigation are no primer, and no failure yet. I even used red hot blue underwater, totally wet application, to fix my pool auto-fill. worked fine as I found out after doing a partial drain last summer.

if it were me, I'd use primer. it ain't gonna hurt, it is cheap, doesn't slow you down much, and if anything ever goes wrong again, you won't second guess yourself for not using it. just wear some nitrile/latex gloves when you assemble...darn primer stains your fingers for a couple of days. Or maybe I am just an idiot for not being able to keep it off my fingers....

That is good info and it is true, for building code primer is required. However This is for plumbing which far exceeds the psi of any aquarium setup. So if you are doing irrigation or inside plumbing its a good idea to use primer. It deffinately can't hurt (accept your fingers), but I've been using red hot now for 15 years on aquariums with no primer and have NEVER seen a properly glued fitting fail-NEVER.

I've seen all kinds of plumbing problems like leaks, I actually got an emergency call for a 125 gallon setup that was leaking in 12 places. All the pvc had been glued together with silicone! This was a so called "professionally" set-up system from one of the biggest lfs in San Diego. The poor people had to pay to have the system plumbed twice. So um- don't use silicone to seal PVC:rolleyes:.

SoCalBoo
08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
That is good info and it is true, for building code primer is required. However This is for plumbing which far exceeds the psi of any aquarium setup. So if you are doing irrigation or inside plumbing its a good idea to use primer. It deffinately can't hurt (accept your fingers), but I've been using red hot now for 15 years on aquariums with no primer and have NEVER seen a properly glued fitting fail-NEVER.

I've seen all kinds of plumbing problems like leaks, I actually got an emergency call for a 125 gallon setup that was leaking in 12 places. All the pvc had been glued together with silicone! This was a so called "professionally" set-up system from one of the biggest lfs in San Diego. The poor people had to pay to have the system plumbed twice. So um- don't use silicone to seal PVC:rolleyes:.

completely agree. like i said, i've never had a problem when not using primer, and my supply line going to my house and my irrigation main has well over 100psi on 1 1/4" line (from street up to the pressure regulators), with fittings/connectors all with red hot blue w/out primer. i only use on my aquariums because I don't want to second guess myself if I got a leak. plus I like the smell. :D

silicone? wow, can't believe anyone would do that who sets tanks up professionally.