PDA

View Full Version : Which Dremel?

malakaikingston
07-18-2008, 02:58 PM
I have been using the 300 series, I need a new dremel cause my neighbor wants his back. :)

Anyone use theirs on the reg like I do and got suggestiorns?

malakaikingston
07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh Come On!!!!

RussM
07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
For basic light-duty fragging, any corded or cordless rotary tool should be fine... even the $25 Dremel clone from Harbor Freight. But if you want a great tool that is really versatile, take a look at Roto-Zips. Even the smallest Roto-Zip is bigger than a Dremel; it will have plenty of power, and the ability to take 1/8", 5/32", and 1/4" bits and accessories allows much more flexibility in bits and blades. You can get a 3.5" diameter diamond blade that will cut much deeper than the largest Dremel diamond blade (1.5"). For added versatility and precision work, get the flexible shaft accessory.

I use mine for all kinds of household repairs and projects.

j_electric
07-18-2008, 09:26 PM
go to Sears thats where america shops! I have a craftsman and I like it basicly they have the same models I belive all the attachments will intermatch,

Techknowledgy
07-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Sears or cheap "kill the American economy" knock off at Harbor Freight. .....althought I am pretty sure Tiawan ownes Sears now....... maybe no Belggains.... no that is Budweiser......

Rob619
07-19-2008, 10:07 AM
i use the black and decker version and its great no complaints here... if any of you need bits i have a tool box full of them

davocean
07-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I got the dremel 400xpr kit off CL almost brand new for $50.
It's pretty rad, and comes w/ the cable extension so you don't have to hold the motor.
Great for fine detail stuff.

Techknowledgy
07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Get one with the 90 degree adapter. Super handy!

SoCalBoo
07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I have owned/still own a rotozip, the B&D, a dremel cordless (I use to trim the dog's nails) and a corded dremel.

The B&D are crud (sorry to whomever posted they like 'em). I've gone through 4 of em in about 3 years. Three with burnt motors, one with a bad switch. They keep failing within warranty, so I grab a new one, and it burns out under warranty, etc.

The cordless dremel works well, but lacks guts to do anything demanding.

The corded dremel is the best for general utility work at a fair price. If you are gonna be using it a lot, step up the models with the bigger motors, which I think are still under $100.

The rotozips are awesome, but might be overkill. If you are using the rotary tool for 'fine' work, the rotozips are bigger and weigh more, and might be too unwieldy for the task. I use mine for drywall and small router projects. Cuts acrylic nicely at lower speeds. They are also a bit pricey. I recently sold mine...done with the house projects, cleaning out of the garage of unnecessary tools. Crappy economy. Hate selling my stuff (but at least I keep buying aquariums).

Hope any of it helps.