PDA

View Full Version : Huge Acrylic Tank (For Sale)

Gene
01-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Acrylic Tank (HUGE)
tank originally sold for 8,000.00 I am wanting 1,000.00, just had small scratches buffed out....by Manufacturer..... this is the ultimate fish tank, this is drilled in back, has (4) bulkhead fittings. includes no filtration

Width 84"

Height 59"

Depth 24"

Estimated capacity = 500 Gallons

actual weight of tank empty is probably 450 pound

DLCKWOOD
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Sounds very cool but being that deep it would be a bear to keep clean. If I was a certified diver I would buy it. Any pics of it set up?
David

SDRotary
01-31-2005, 11:23 PM
I would like to see pics and would be interested. I have a friend who is looking for a big tank and this looks like it! Any stand to go with? Thanks

Kyle

Gene
02-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Hello, when tanks are this large in height, they usually do not use a stand, they are either built in, or sit flat on the floor, this was set up to stand on the floor against a wall......

give me a call and I will gladly answer any questions....

Gene

sent my number as a pm

SDRotary
02-02-2005, 12:17 AM
I will see if I can get him to come by and check it out in the coming days. We work @ the same place and dont work until saturday. Thanks

Kyle

SDRotary
02-03-2005, 06:58 PM
I am working on him but nothing yet gene. I will keep you posted. This is his 1st real tank and I am trying to get him to do it right.

mojoreason
02-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by SDRotary
I am working on him but nothing yet gene. I will keep you posted. This is his 1st real tank and I am trying to get him to do it right.

you're going to scare the #$$% out of him ... I can just picture the conversation.

Scene One, Act One

SDRotary - Dude, I found you the ultimate tank.
Friend - Now, since I haven't really had a tank I don't really know all the ins and outs yet.
Friend - And there will be a definite learning curve since this is going to be a saltwater reef tank.

Scene One, Act Four

Friend - I don't know, a thousand dollars seems a little steep for a tank with no stand, filtration or any lighting.
Friend - Seriously, 500 gallons sitting on my floor. What if it breaks - that's saltwater and it's going to ruin a lot of stuff if this breaks.
Friend - I bet I could put a lot of stuff in there.

Scene Two, Act Three

Friend - Seriously, that tank is about $2/gallon. I can get a 125 gallon tank with no set-up for about $100, which is under a buck a gallon.
SDRotary - Dude, I found you the ULTIMATE tank.
Friend - What if I buy my first tank at 125 and get two. Then I'll have money left over to buy that rock you say I need. And those metal halide lights you say I'll have to have, which will then ensure I'll need a chiller.

Oh wait ... you say I'll eventually want to have this tank so "why not buy it at the start?" I don't know if I really want to get "in" to this hobby.
SDRotary - Dude, I found YOU the ULTIMATE tank.

dbrooks
02-04-2005, 04:56 PM
A couple pix attached...

The tank is NOT rectangular -

DB

alien4fish
02-04-2005, 05:51 PM
at least you have a sense of humor:D

David M
02-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Are you saying that is Gene's tank? Or a differant one? :confused:

SDRotary
02-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Mojo, It was a pretty good rendition of what went on only a beer inbetween. He wants a big tank if he gets one. I'll see what I can do with a picture.

mojoreason
02-04-2005, 07:16 PM
I was just messing ... serious - - I thought that's how it would've been though - - cause I know I've been like - - Dude, I found the ultimate tank!! -- before.

LOL

dbrooks
02-04-2005, 07:20 PM
This is Gene's tank. I drove to have alook under the assumption that is was rectangular - it ain't.

Nice tank - just not what I'm looking for.

DB

David M
02-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Agreed, a huge dissappointment. Still, at the right price I could use it for the depth. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they build something like that :rolleyes:

REEFWAVE
02-04-2005, 11:16 PM
well they were not thinking reef thats for sure. for a fish only they can be nice as it makes for a pretty nice display. aquascaping can be somewhat of a challenge, but with a little effort it can turn out awsome.
good luck

bergzy
02-05-2005, 12:55 AM
dang gene!

that is a big tank!!!!!!

let's see what the little woman has to say! ;)

it was great meeting and talking with you!

hey! let me know when you want to trade some sand! those gazillion pods per cupfull are callin' ya's name!

alien4fish
02-05-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah well my wife said no fukinway, :D ahe mumbled something about divorce...sleeping in the tank.... outside,... i dunno............could understand only half of what she was saying as she drove away:confused:

David M
02-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Ya' know, laid on it's side it might just make a pretty comfy doghouse if she's putting you out anyway :D

SDMike
02-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by David M
Agreed, a huge dissappointment. Still, at the right price I could use it for the depth. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they build something like that :rolleyes:

Yer thinking about it all wrong!

All ya gotta do is cut a piece of acrylic the size of the inside of the tank, glue it in, and you've got instant sump!

Water, sand, etc. acrylic bottom of display, more water for sump/volume.

Who needs a stand anyway?!

M

David M
02-06-2005, 08:38 AM
:D Hey Mike, that is very close to an idea I've been working on, I often wonder why we buy or build a stand and then look for a tank to fit inside for a sump. Why not just seal the stand and silicone in a glass front and back about 12" high? I'm calling it a "stump" :D I'll build one and post pics, it's gonna be cool :cool:

Trickman2
02-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Awesome tank, wish I had a big house. lol. My one bedroom condo is just to small. Oh well :D Gene PMed me to see if I wanted it. I tossed the idea around and talked with the wife and we came to the conclusion it wasn't very realistic. Still ONE DAY I WILL HAVE A BIG Tank. I WILL:D Good Luck Gene Sorry I could not take it off your hands.

MarLooney
02-06-2005, 11:12 AM
if you get a stand you're going to need a ladder... ;)

amazing tank gene. if you have no one who bites try Reef Central's Souther California Reefers forum. for a tank that size it'd be worth it for some northsider to drive down and get an amazing fish only tank.

JeromeBaker
02-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Cut it in half(horizontally), glue a bottom on one and a top on the other and "shabang" two nice fish tanks.

Gene
02-07-2005, 08:12 AM
actually, that is what San Diego Plastic said they could do for about 400.00, I thought about doing that and making it two tall reef tanks....... don't want to ruin what could be a nice huge fish only tank for a business setting.

David M
02-07-2005, 08:27 AM
No, it makes no sense. Then again I had a custom built 60" L X 30" H X only 12" deep acrylic tank sitting in my garage for nearly two years. (It was built as an in-wall room divider). I could not find a buyer or any use for it, so I finally tossed it on the table saw and cut it up for the acrylic (3/4"). :D

peterluber
02-07-2005, 03:12 PM
HAHA. that tank is exactly as tall as me :eek: 4' 11". holy crap.

bergzy
02-08-2005, 01:11 PM
hey gene!

wife took one look at the photo and said one thing, 'are you nuts!?!?!'

well, at least she took a look! :)

let me know when you want some pods!

bikerboy
02-08-2005, 10:53 PM
The tank looks like it took some work and cost some bucks. But there are some things that came to my mind. Cleaning and stacking Decorations would be an absolute torture. I can't imagine. You'd have to climb inside to set things up. Once setup, you'd have to figure out a way not to break and destroy everything on your way out.

Also, no, I wouldn't use it on a stand. That thing is tall enough. You don't need one.

I personally, being the reptile freak I am, would use it as a semi aquatic system. Something with some fish on the bottom and decore but lots of branches and basking spots. I'd buy some basilisks, some water dragons. Some tree frogs, and so on.

Being a full tank of water with salt. I wouldn;t do it. Wiuth fresh, I still wouldn't unless you got something like discuss or a large assortment of Angels or something.

That is an enclosure made for retiles all the way....

Just my opinion.

Trickman2
02-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a waste of a good tank. I mean no reason to use two inch plexiglass for a reptile tank

Trickman2
02-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey Gene just wondering if you ever sold it?

Gene
02-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Hello Trickman, no, it is still here, had a guy who sent a pm to buy it, he then ran into tax problems, said he will buy it next month, it is still available to first person with the green in hand, are you interested?

Trickman2
02-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Yeah I wish I had the room but no. Just wondering if you ever sold it.

Gene
02-15-2005, 09:58 AM
ahhh, if it doesn't sell, I will set it up in my garage on the ground floor that will support its weight.... I really want it where it can be seen though.... oh well....