PDA

View Full Version : Want a frag rack?

reddragons8
07-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Go to home depot and look in the lighting section for egg crate. Cut the desired size and super glue ( i used Loctite super glue control gel) and attach to a mag float algae scrapper. Worked great for me.

malakaikingston
07-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Go to home depot and look in the lighting section for egg crate. Cut the desired size and super glue ( i used Loctite super glue control gel) and attach to a mag float algae scrapper. Worked great for me.

That is a great idea!

If you go to this site you can actually buy magnets that are the perfect size for making racks, they are sealed too! I suggest the 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com

If you want a black rack instead of white riddout is a local plastic company that carries black eggcrate.

http://www.ridoutplastics.com/

Live Water Aquariums
07-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Great link, thanks for sharing. I don't see the size you listed available in coated. Do you coat them yourself? probably more economical that way. How thick of glass or acrylic do those work for? Probably a lot easier to just buy them from you.

malakaikingston
07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Great link, thanks for sharing. I don't see the size you listed available in coated. Do you coat them yourself? probably more economical that way. How thick of glass or acrylic do those work for? Probably a lot easier to just buy them from you.

Discussing sales in a DIY thread is not good forum etiquette so I may contact you offline.

I do coat them myself and I have personally seen the 3/4 mags with 40lbs pull hold solid on 5/8ths. Let me look up the size I would suggest though, this is what I would recommend for any tank up to 1".

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BCC4

I personally prefer working with the raw un-coated magnets instead of nickle plated, not only are they cheaper but I feel like they get a better coat that way but I couldn't see them in stock on KJ. You can find directions on how to coat them at this link.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/rubbercoat.asp

I use a variation of this method and I find it works very well in reef applications, if you want to dip your own I got a few suggestions if you want to hit me offline. Other than that expect it to take about 9 hours to do a batch of magnets and have VERY good ventilation the rubber coat is SUPER noxious, use rubber gloves till you can speak the language of the magnet.

Good luck and never turn your back on a magnet... That's when they get ya'

Live Water Aquariums
07-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Great info thanks for sharing, looks like a lot of work!!! have you ever tried epoxy rather than rubber? Seems like it might hold up better.

malakaikingston
07-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Great info thanks for sharing, looks like a lot of work!!! have you ever tried epoxy rather than rubber? Seems like it might hold up better.

I personally haven't tried epoxy, reason being then I have to find a mold to use that would fit the magnets so far haven't found one I like.

Also I have concerns with epoxy yellowing and cracking. I have personally seen a magnet that was epoxied that had stress fractures and was actually rusting while still sealed.

Will I eventually try epoxy, I would love to. Do I plan to switch to it any time soon, not really.

If people have suggestions as to what epoxy I should use or what to use for molds I am all ears. I only know the right way till someone shows me a better way. :)

JustKeepSwimmin
04-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Wow, this is great, I was just wondering how I could DIY a frag rack. I knew they'd have something at Home Depot, but I didn't even know what to tell them I was looking for. My local HD doesn't seem to have a very broad range of knowledge.

Quick question, would you rinse the eggcrate in hot water first or something just to make sure it didn't have anything possibly...bad for the tank? I've never really tried to DIY anthing for the tank before, but I knewthere must be a way I can rig up a frag rack.

kamero87
04-09-2013, 09:14 PM
SD plastics also sells black egg crate and white egg crate, a lot cheaper than home depot.

KorL
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Wow, this is great, I was just wondering how I could DIY a frag rack. I knew they'd have something at Home Depot, but I didn't even know what to tell them I was looking for. My local HD doesn't seem to have a very broad range of knowledge.

Home improvement stores carry the stuff, but it's called a light diffuser or something like that.

JustKeepSwimmin
04-09-2013, 09:33 PM
SD plastics also sells black egg crate and white egg crate, a lot cheaper than home depot.

Home improvement stores carry the stuff, but it's called a light diffuser or something like that.

Thanks for the tip, guys! I gotta get on that. That might be my weekend project. I know, I have huge aspirations x)

poakley723
04-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I had great success coating magnets in hot glue.

I never really thought about making a mold to put the magnets in but ai did have the hot glue coated magnets in my tank for well over a year and had not ill effects.

Quick and easy!

JustKeepSwimmin
04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Hm, I wouldnt have thought of that. Maybe I'll give that a try too. Thanks!