PDA

View Full Version : Animal Behavior

OceanBeach1502
06-25-2008, 04:58 PM
This site and everyone in it has done so much for me that I wanted to find a way to give back. The one thing I am good at is animal behavior and placement. I am going on 4 years in an animal shelter and I have taken MANY classes.
So please, if you have a pet at home that is getting into trouble or are looking to adopt, ask away!
-Audrey
P.S. If you are asking a question about your pet, be sure to include Age, Breed, Gender, Spayed/Neutered or neither, where you got it from and any other pets or children in the house.

Me and my girls! The one on the right was supposed to be euthanized do to extreme fear. After a TON of Positive Reinforcement, she has turned out to be an amazing dog! The one on the left is as submissive as they come and will pee if you even look at her. Again, after Positive Reinforcement we have come a long way. She is however, aggressive with other people. So if you ever come to my house you will understand why the dogs in the next room are barking like crazy! I also have 3 cats at home. One of them has FIV (a feline version of AIDS) and was also set to be euthanized.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/TooeyHooligan/doggiescliffs.jpg

sandiegan
06-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Ok Audrey- here's one for ya :)
Seen any Shiba Inu's @ any shelter lately?

OceanBeach1502
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
In the 4 years I have seen 1. Google for Rescues in Southern California. OR you could always use petfinder.com.
http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?breed=Shiba+Inu&tmpl=&preview=1&exact=1&animal=Dog&preview=&zip=92107
Most of those are mixes. Go to the bottom of the page and click on next page to see more.
http://www.netpets.org/dogs/dogresc/breeds/dogshiba.html
Hope that helps!
-Audrey
P.s. Shibas are brats. Have you ever had one?? hehe Good Luck!

coral diver
06-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Have you seen any Bird (Parrot Conure green cheek male) "I know you will send me to a pet store"
Oh and BTW I don't know if you can snip a bird :)

dc_909
06-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Alright, help me with this one.

I got my dog probably years ago after someone tie him to a pole. He is a chihuahua mix (we think) and he constantly pees due to excitement/fear/nervousness/...ANYTHING. I have to keep a diaper on him so that it does not get everywhere. Neutered, no children.

Is it possible to ever remedy this?

1 on the right
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/dc_909/Pups3.jpg

OceanBeach1502
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Have you seen any Bird (Parrot Conure green cheek male) "I know you will send me to a pet store"
Oh and BTW I don't know if you can snip a bird :)

I saw a couple different types of parrots at San Diego Humane Society. Dont know much about birds to tell you what kind they are. Before going to a breeder or pet store, PLEASE try a rescue.
-Parrot Protection Agency.Rescue and Adoption San Diego
no adoption fee, 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Cathy Isbell, San Diego, (619) 421-6404, naebo@yahoo.com

-Parrot Rescue Los Angeles
Wanda Harmon (310) 679-3435

-The Last Chance Ranch So. CA
We operate a lifetime parrot sanctuary in Southern California. We are privately funded and have been operating for about 10 years. We presently care for over 200 abused, abandoned, neglected, and pet parrots of many species that have been relinquished. Contact: gennygem2@aol.com

-Parrots First Los Angeles, CA
We are a rescue and adoption service. We exist solely to help unwanted or found parrots and through educational classes and seminars we hope to dispel many of the myths and misconceptions that are prevalent today P.O. Box 66223 Los Angeles, CA 90066 (310) 873-3600 x3294 (Voice Mail) Rose & Frank Levine rose@parrotsfirst.org , frank@parrotsfirst.org. Parrots First is a member of the Avian Welfare Coalition.

-Parrot Rehabilitation Society Southern CA
Our goal is to take in homeless, unwanted or abused parrots, "rehabilitate" them, and find them good, permanent, loving homes with our members. PRS also strives to educate the community on the special needs of these wonderful pets. We promote good health, enriched lives and loving homes for our feathered companions.

Techknowledgy
06-25-2008, 08:29 PM
...any lines on golden retriever puppies? I had to put down my best friend of nine years a month ago. Want a male really red one.

OceanBeach1502
06-25-2008, 08:38 PM

I got my dog probably years ago after someone tie him to a pole. He is a chihuahua mix (we think) and he constantly pees due to excitement/fear/nervousness/...ANYTHING. I have to keep a diaper on him so that it does not get everywhere. Neutered, no children.

1 on the right

CUTE DOG!Looks like a Chihuahua/ Terrier mix. The first thing I can tell you...Welcome to the world of Chihuahuas! No not all Chi's do this, but most do. The best thing to work on with excitable urination is to completely ignore them when you get home. If they are jumping all over your leg because they are so happy to see you...leave them. It’s the best way to work on calming. As for as fear or nervousness, it seems like this Chi possibly came from a not so great home. Even though you have had it for years it could take a while for it to fully trust you. Try on not doing a lot of direct eye contact. Read up of Positive Reinforcement. It is the best thing you can do for a dog. My dogs are both a mess and P.R. is someone we work on DAILY! It’s all about rewarding good behaviors and not punishing them for bad things. How is a dog supposed to trust you when it is afraid of you? (Not saying you are beating your dog :D) I hope this helps. Keep me updated!

OceanBeach1502
06-25-2008, 08:44 PM
...any lines on golden retriever puppies? I had to put down my best friend of nine years a month ago. Want a male really red one.

Very sorry about your loss. : / I have not seen any puppies but we have had plenty of adults anywhere from 1y/o to 14y/o. Would you like me to let you know when one comes in? When one doggy goes to heaven another needs a home :D

OceanBeach1502
06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey Everyone! Sick of your dog pulling you everywhere? Don’t give up and get them choke/prong collars. Those can be vary dangerous 1. Damaging to the throat 2. possible for skin to get pinched in collar 3.skin irritation 4.Dogs naturally walk INTO anything pulling on neck. They don’t walk away and stay by your side. Try these!!
Gentle Leader
http://www.sitstay.com/wcsstore/SitStay/images/small/EQP04P.lg.jpg
No this is not a muzzle. Dogs can still fully open their mouth. It takes control of the head. A dog cant pull you with its snout. It takes a while for some dogs to get used to wearing these. Make sure to clip the leader to the collar until they are used to it and you know they cant pull it off.
-OR-
My favorite is the SENSE-ation Harness. Sometimes call the SENSE-ible Harness.
http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/4/app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/4804963/size/280
Harness clip on front of chest and when dog pulls you pull up on the leash and that pulls up on its armpit forcing the dog to stop. This thing is AWESOME and I use it on both of my dogs.

barometer
06-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Awesome advice on the leads Audrey. My wife (owner/groomer of Maggie's Farm) and I have had tremendous success with both of these kind of leads as well as Martingale collars. :)

OceanBeach1502
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks Ed. Where is your wifes shop at? My dogs smell haha.

psmith444
06-26-2008, 02:19 PM
My favorite is the SENSE-ation Harness. Sometimes call the SENSE-ible Harness.
http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/4/app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/4804963/size/280
Harness clip on front of chest and when dog pulls you pull up on the leash and that pulls up on its armpit forcing the dog to stop. This thing is AWESOME and I use it on both of my dogs.

Very Interesting Audrey. I really never take my Shiba for walks (since we have a large yard) so she is not really leash trained and pulls everywhere. I will check into this... Does Petco sell it or ?
Thanks!
Patty

barometer
06-26-2008, 02:41 PM
My wife's shop is:

Maggie's Farm Natural Pet Grooming and Pawtique
1902 Rosecrans St. 92106

not too far from you Audrey. She's uses all natural products and sells all natural and raw food for dogs and cats as well. If you go in and talk to Kristin, be sure to tell her you're the OBecian that lent us the mega-Shrek and she'll take good care of you :D

Patty, I don't know where to get these at the store, but they are available online. Leash training is tough regardless with strong hunters, but you can do it! :)

OceanBeach1502
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Very Interesting Audrey. I really never take my Shiba for walks (since we have a large yard) so she is not really leash trained and pulls everywhere. I will check into this... Does Petco sell it or ?
Thanks!
Patty

I think they do. I seem to remember them having some. They might not have been the same brand name but it is the same type of harness. The awesome thing is not matter how strong your dog is, if you know how to use this harness correctly, the dog CANT pull you at all. Having a back yard is awesome for exercise but taking them on walks is good for socializing with other people and dogs.

psmith444
06-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Having a back yard is awesome for exercise but taking them on walks is good for socializing with other people and dogs.

I agree, as she is ANTI other dogs and strangers. PERIOD. :( She also does have a very heavy hunting instinct. She has killed/chased many critters that have wandered into our couple of acres.

She is a sweetie though with us and our 2 other dogs and our pair of cats too.

Techknowledgy
06-26-2008, 07:06 PM
If she is happy that is all that matters. The don't need little and give so much!

OceanBeach1502
07-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Bumb!

sandiegan
07-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Think you're looking for "bump" with a "p" there Audrey :)

Happy to say we found a nice little 11 week old Shiba girl to keep company w/ my American Eskie. Great behavior right of the bat, and knows sit, down and occasionally 'leave it' already. Any rare insights to them or inside tricks for puppies that most don't know about? She's the 4th puppy that I'll have raised, but I'm always willing to learn.

barometer
07-21-2008, 03:14 PM
IME with dogs with strong prey drive it's important to get them well socialized and work on their recall (having them return to you when YOU want them to). Even so, they're usually not to be trusted off-lead in an area that they can escape from. My Ibizan hound has awesome recall and I still don't trust him anywhere but Fiesta Island. A shiba should be very responsive to food/positive re-inforcement training methods, but every individual dog is different. Best of luck with the new addition. We should put together a doggie play date at Fiesta sometime :)

sandiegan
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd love that, but 8 hours is a pretty long drive just for the doggie play date. Moved up to San Jose area a while ago, just lurking on the boards now. She does respond very well to food-based training as did my eskie, but I still don't trust him (4 yrs old) off leash in a non-enclosed area.

barometer
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
lol, sorry I didn't realize.....that would be a long drive :rolleyes: :p

If you need a groomer, check out Grooming Extraordinaire in San Jose. My wife used to work there and the owner Mark is great. If you go there, tell Mark that Kristin Gambler of Maggie's Farm sent you and he'll take good care of you :)

OceanBeach1502
07-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Heck Yeah! Anyone else down for some fiesta island play time?

OceanBeach1502
08-16-2008, 09:30 PM
I have had people asking me in the chat. So here are some links

-cheaper spay/neuter for cats and dogs.
http://www.snap-sandiego.org/
http://www.sddac.com/rebate.asp

-Microchip and Rabies Every Thursday at the county shelter from 1-3
http://www.sddac.com/microchip.asp

-Its kitten season. If you find some....
you will have to take them to a county shelter. If it is your cat or dog that has a litter, you can do this
http://www.sdhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adp_LitterAbatement

Hope this helps :D

mazilla
08-17-2008, 06:45 AM
I've got one for you. I have three dogs, two male pit bulls(father and son) and one husky mix female. The female is spayed and the older male is neutered.

Up until last week they males got into a fight maybe once every 7-8 months. Just in this last week the fighting has intensified dramatically and i found myself almost unable to get the younger male to release from his pops. In the past if/when they got into it a Stearn NO would end it, not the case the last two times. the fights break out when the three dogs charge the door when I get home.

What I have started to do is establish who is who with the dogs. I would prefer it to be the elder male, then the female, then the younger male. My logic is to set the aggressor at the bottom of the totem pole so he stops trying to move from #2 to # 1, although I'm sure he will just try to go from #3 to #1.

The steps I have taken is to not allow the dogs to rush the door, they have to sit and greet me one by one, starting with the eldest male, then the female then the young male. this is also the routine for going outside, except I of course go first as the biggest dog ;) I've also forbidden the younger male or the female from sitting on the couch or getting on my bed, that right has been reserved for the eldest male as alpha. During feeding I have started feeding the alpha first, then the female then the younger male. At the moment they all have individual feed bowls. I have thought about using only one bowl and passing it down the food chain so the other dogs know that the dog I have chosen for alpha has already eaten his share and they get the leftovers just like in the wild.

Besides that, I don't want to end up with one dog in the kennel for the majority of it's life so I am doing my best to restore order to avoid that.

Any tips on my plan of attack, problems you see or changes you would make?

I'm not going to neuter the young male, at this point I feel his behavior is set and removing his junk is a moot point with little to no benefit, other than to prevent me from carrying on the blood line indefinitely as I plan to do.

h20poloman
08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Very nice of you to offer some help Audrey. My girlfriends dog Toby is a jack russell that she rescued probably about 6 years ago. His skin was in bad condition when she got him and he still seems to have itching issues depending on the time of year (like right now). Are there any other remedies out there besides taking him to the vet to get prescription drugs? Second, he is super mellow for a JR except for when he sees other dogs, he goes nutzoid. If he actually gets to get up close with the dog and smell it he typically is fine. It bothers me to the point I don't want to take him to dog beach because he'll be a *******. What type of training methods are best for this type of correction?

OceanBeach1502
09-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Anything working yet?

1 on the right