PDA

View Full Version : who is your neighbor?

Bio-Nut
06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
With all the recent transaction I have made with fellow reef geeks, I have found that many individuals on this site are either timid buying corals from other reefers due to a bad experience or have nothing but great things to say about past trades. In addition, after reading the thread started by Dave about the issues with coral fraud, I was concern with the amount of people preying on new reefers.

Therefore, I was wondering if you could add a feature to either a specific forum or to each members public profile, where they can be anonymously rated for the sell/ trade history.

I don't want this to be use as a way for everyone to bash each other but more as a way to inform those of who the should trust.

Please take this into consideration!

Ian

Fine Fins
06-19-2008, 05:31 PM
hard thing to do when can just change names.

da6d2003
06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
hard thing to do when can just change names.

that would be pretty easy to figure out.

Not for a newbie though.

da6d2003
06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I like the idea. Kinda like ebay. It does give folks a bit of accountability. Might get abused but that's life.

the ebay thing does give a chance to rebut too.

malakaikingston
06-20-2008, 04:43 PM
There should be a buyer / seller feedback thread.

iwantone
06-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Everytime I trade on this forum with only a few exceptions it has sucked. The corals were misrepresented. ie. Brown is not orange., thanks for the monti nudibranchs... Overall, there are a few people with nice stuff and decent trades. The easiest way to find them is by looking at the number of posts. Not that this is foolproof, but it helps.

Bio-Nut
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree that researching the trade is always a good idea.
I thinks the only way that this will work is if it can be set-up anonymously. otherwise i think it will get very ugly. I can't think of any other way to set it up. But the more and more that I hear I think this forum would be of benifit to all. And those who object do so for obvious reasons.

all in favor!

da6d2003
06-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't think it needs to be anonymous. I think it would get ugglier that way. There would be no accountability.

If you do anonymous it's going to force the mods into becoming mediators.

that's just me .02. I do think that having something in place would be nice though anonymous or not.

da6d2003
06-22-2008, 09:32 AM
There should be a buyer / seller feedback thread.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32940&highlight=rating+system

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32889&highlight=rating+system

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7007&highlight=rating+system

OceanBeach1502
07-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I for sure like this idea. I had people who confirmed on a group buy and they never paid up. This means I have to give refunds back and pay for the stupid paypal fee. }:[

da6d2003
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
ok mods, get on it.

DaveMorris
07-18-2008, 11:41 PM
It should not be anonymous. If you are going to call someone out, then do so. But have the balls to do it in public and be prepared to back it up with real facts. We don't need another reason for people to start tearing each other down without hearing both sides of the story.

SolRo
07-19-2008, 12:35 AM
it's pointless, in my opinion

the bad deals usualy come from people barely on this forum or cross-posting every aquarium website they can find, rating these people would be pointless as they are here today and then gone forever

ratings on long time members just leads to arguments and a bunch of stupid ****; the animals in this hobby are not always so cut and paste; photos are nearly impossible to get to look like they do to the naked eye (good or bad), parasites can come from any number of corals and either take days or months to be noticed (and it's your choice to QT or not), fish can die from really bad previous care, bad acclimation, or just too much stress.

There's a reason 99.99% of stores have no guarantees on coral at all, because there is assumed risk in purchasing them and because corals are fairly hard to keep alive, there is no way to guarantee the new owner didn't kill the animal themselves.

mazilla
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
LOL, just because you set something up doesnt mean you have to go thru with it. If you want to buy an orange whatever and it's brown, don't buy it! If you are set to buy a pump, TEST IT FIRST. It's not rocket science, i've never been ripped off because I won't buy the thing if it's not what I expected. Almost nobody ships anything here, so if you get screwed it means you probably went to the persons house, saw the product and chose to buy it. In that case you're the one to blame for either being to timid to say no, or you didnt do your homework and you expect everybody in the world to do the right thing. So, timid or foolsih, which is it? If it's a group buy, you need cash up front, why is that so hard? the only people who will be rating poorly are the suckers who fell for a ****ty deal, it's pointless.

everybody here basically knows everybody here and in most cases it's on a first name basis, and 99% of the dealing we do on this site are face to face and local. How do you get ripped of within those parameters? you have to work to get taken IMO.