PDA

View Full Version : White Spots

mipiojito
06-16-2008, 09:16 PM
I just had 2 fish die within about 12 hours(both blennies), and my tomato clown pair appears to be covered with white spots. The coral beauty looks ok(MIGHT have a few spots around head, cant tell for sure). Look at fish every day and never noticed anything off. Just happened all of a sudden. Also have a film on top of the water. Need advice. All inverts and corals look ok.

Techknowledgy
06-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Need a lot more info. Tank size,flow,lights, etc Pics would help too!

3javier3
06-16-2008, 09:56 PM
You have a diseas called ick

Fine Fins
06-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Others may tell you different but the film is from the water fouling, fish death or something in the water that has died I have had a few times when I got a film on the water and once lost a few animals because I acted slowly in helping the tank, due to personal issues that were more important then my tank.
I believe once it was because of foul scripps water that I had left in the hot sun a few days instead of keeping them in the shade. Now I do the smell test If it smells like fish soup gone bad don't use it. When I did that WC with the STINK WATER I told myself it would be fine I knew better and did it anyway cause I was lazy.
If I have film on my tank I have good luck doing a water change, increase flow from the bottom of the tank to the top and running some carbon.
I have noticed white spot on my fish lately and it seems to be linked to heat as soon as I cool the tank they get better.

Techknowledgy
06-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Does sound like ick, but it probably wouldn't kill so fast. You have other issues too.

Fine Fins
06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I would make sure your not getting a temp spike. My opinion but tech is right more info. I think ick is caused because the fish are stressed. Ick by itself is not your problem. If they died that fast you have tank issues

Fine Fins
06-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I want my arcade

mipiojito
06-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks, thats a good start, will try to post more info this evening when i get home from work. BTW, my temp had gone up from 78 to about 82 degrees.

coral diver
06-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Read at the link that we posted on this section it will help you alot on how to battle that parasite and less expensive too

Fine Fins
06-17-2008, 01:54 PM
82 was what made my tank have problems

Techknowledgy
06-17-2008, 05:18 PM
82 is not that warm.

Fine Fins
06-17-2008, 07:07 PM
it's not but every time that film or problems occur in my tank its when the heat is 82. Hell I dropped an ice pack in my tank today and all my corals are out looking bettter than they have for days.

mahogue
06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
It sounds like it is from the stress caused by a 4 degree F temp swing each day (from 78 to 82 and back). I try hard to keep my max temp swing within 2 deg per day. If you held them at a steady 82 (or any reasonable temperature) they would be less stressed, but again it would be best to get them there slowly. I would try not to change the average daily temp by more than 0.5 deg F per day. Temp stability is hard on small tanks. How big is your tank and/or total volume?

mipiojito
06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
My tank is 30gal. I have some live rock, tomato clown pair, coral beauty, yellow pistol and yellow watchman pait, 2 peppermint shrimp a cleaner shrimp and assorted bottom and algae feeders. I have a greentip frogspawn(3 heads) some green star polyps and a couple of small mushrooms and all of these actually appear to be getting much bigger last few days. I have a bak pak 2, a fluval 305 and a koralia 1. I turned temp down this am and this evening the tank looks a lot better. Stuff on top clearing up and clowns look like they are feeling better, although they still have lots of spots. What is the best way to treat the ich. BTW my lighting is a 2x65 pc.

Trickman2
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34867&highlight=metro

Quick do this

mipiojito
06-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Do they have that stuff at petco or do i need to go to someplace like aquatic warehouse. If so, does anyone know of one that stays open till 7 or 8. AW closes at 6 and i dont get off until then.

Trickman2
06-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Aquatic warehouse is your best bet......Customaquatics also normally carries it too.

Delphin22
06-24-2008, 01:10 PM
cool, I was looking at this post and saw the link to my other thread. LOL
yeh thats a good thread we should sticky it maybe
No garentees on this method works for some but:
The cocktail and water treatment worked great for me. Just froze flake, mysis in garlic gaurd with focus and metrondiazole and a little Ro/Di water in a cup. Then choped it up into little pieces Feed one small thawed chunck 2 times a day for 5 days, read instructions.
Dosed water for 21 days.
Careful, feed small amounts first 1-2 days till they get used to it and your sure no one gets upset. Regal tang poops alot after first dose. (disrupts normal digestion) I saw good results in 2 days, didnt kill anything. I think my LMB doesnt like it so I try to feed him formula2 flakes first then try to hand feed to tang and angel. Also dont think the skunk shrimp likes it.

I appeared to be ich free for 6 months till I added a bunch o stuff from 3 other peoples tanks and 2 LFS tanks again LOL.
So I'm treating again right now.
There is the risk of getting past an outbreak only to have it still present. running fallow for 6 weeks is the only garenteed way to be 100% certain its eradicated. do more research. good articles linked on other thread

AW usualy caries it all, yeh I had to go at lunch time, its all right next to the front door.
1 Focus
1 small bottle garlic gaurd
2 metrondiazole (if you have to treat water too)