PDA

View Full Version : CPR HOB overflow

mikeyfromsd
06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I figured with my luck, trying to drill the tank would probably end up with me being covered in glass, so I did a little sleuthing on the internet and came across CPR's contiuous siphon overflows. Anyone have experience with these before?

FishBulb
06-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah, they are not the best design. The c-shape overflow doesn't clear bubbles very well so you are relying solely on the aqualifter to clear them for you. If you go with a U-tube style design, they tend to be self clearing if you run a high enough water flow through them. That's what I would recommend, a U-tube style.

mikeyfromsd
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Who makes a u-tube style?

FishBulb
06-12-2008, 08:22 PM
There are several. Lifereef makes a very nice one and i've heard some good things about hurricanefilters.com. Check out those sites and ask questions if you have them.

LarryM
06-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I always had some type of flow problem w HOB... bubbles accumulate and displace space that should flow water... Just my opinion.

FishBulb
06-12-2008, 09:07 PM
definitely agree with Larry. If you can drill, DO IT. I was just helping you decide between the common overflow types. I just had a small 2 gallons flood last month. Original estimates for damage to the downstairs apartment was $700. I negotiated with the complex to just pay for $350. Soooo, yes if you can drill your tank. Especially if you rent.

Sam Maghsoodloo
06-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Post on the wanted forum, there are usually people with good overflows for sale (Unless you need it to be new). Thats how i got mine.

Chanas4
06-14-2008, 07:09 PM
I have a lifereef overflow. Never had a flood. if you put the return nozzle pointed towards the top it wont overflow if you have power outtage because the siphon breaks when the water level reaches it