PDA

View Full Version : zoos are dying

rasta81
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
there seem to be these white spots on the trunks of the one that are dying. What is going on what are they?

JoeJ
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Here's a a link to get you started: http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

blazzent
06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
mine are going thru the same thing. I lost a 1/3 of a baseball size colony. I've been told to do a iodine dip (lugols) the zoaid link says to use furan2. I was also told to start dosing vitamin C. What to do???? My smaller colonies havent been affected yet, if they do I'll try one of dips. In the meantime I think I'll try the vitamin c.

blazzent
06-13-2008, 07:27 AM
How are your zoo's doing?

rasta81
06-13-2008, 07:04 PM
what erer is going on it seems to be spreding. Ithink im am going to try the dip method

blazzent
06-14-2008, 09:28 PM
The first colony that got infected, is about half gone. It had some orange zoo on one side and some chocolate ones on the other. All the orange are gone except a few and the chocolate don't seem to be dying at all. I have some smaller colonies of the same type and they have all been wiped out. I also have pink ones that dont seem to be afected at all. I also have some dragon eyes, i think that what they are, some of those are dying but not as fast. I may start to dip, but also I am interested to see if some zoo's are more resistant than others. I hope you don't lose them all.

blazzent
06-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Question for you, where do you get your water from? the reason I ask is that my friend is also have his zoos dying. I ask if he had added anything new to his tank, he said no. He uses scripps and he is wondering if something from the water might have caused it. Just a thought.

rasta81
06-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I make my own water with destilled water and coral life salt. I didnt really notice the zoepox until i made mods in the over flow, i was having a problem with thick oily surface what i did fixed the problem but i think it cleared up the water to fast. Im going to do the dip with the furan 2 tonight so i will let you know how it goes step by step

rasta81
06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
the pox are definetly spreding so im going to dip all of my zoes tomorrow.I did do 3 small colonies today to see how they react to the dip. 2 out of the 3 colonies opened up pretty quick when i put them back in the main tank but the other one was alot werse off to begin withand hasent opened

blazzent
06-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Where did you get your furan2 ? I am starting to lose some of my nicer colonies, so I want to start to dip.

rasta81
06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
i got it from fountians, they dont make the tablets anymore but i checked what the packets have in them and they match up to one tablet. So i went for it i dipped all of my zoos that showed signs of the pox tonight so i will see how it goes

blazzent
06-17-2008, 08:13 PM
let me know how it turns out.

rasta81
06-18-2008, 04:47 PM
so i dipped all my zoos last night and they are all ok. The ones that have already been dipped twice seem to be doing way better . I had one colonie that wasnt even opening and today they are open and the spots seem like they are going away.

vicfish
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
good to hear!! :)

tundra420619
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
rasta
how are those zoos doin?

rasta81
06-20-2008, 11:40 AM
there alive and looks like there getting better and better

blazzent
08-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Hey rasta

hope your zoa's are doing ok after you did you dips. I chose not to do any dips on my colonies and I lost several colonies. I had that first colony " baseball size" that got 2/3 of it wiped out. I lost several smaller colonies that were frags of that one and some other frags. I noticed that what was left remained unaffected and the pox stopped spreading about the end of july. I had some pink zoa's that never got infected and some bright orange ones that remained unaffected as well. As of right now things look good the remaining colonies are growing very nicely and that "baseball colony" is growing back as well. Word of caution for those that are going through this zoa pox junk, I am not saying that the best course of action is to do what I did, I wanted to observe the out break and see what would happen " naturally". I think if I have another out break I will step in and try to treat the colonies.

WanaLeime
08-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Sounds like your battling Zoa Pox. The link above is great place to start. I did the FURAN 2 method with some success. I lost half of my colonies. I would have probably had a better survival rate if I followed the instructions on the site to a "T", but being in the Navy prevented me from doing so... GL with your endevor...