PDA

View Full Version : Green Water

tinytanker
06-09-2008, 07:42 AM
My water is green. what should i do to degreen it?

sublime
06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
sorry, you have to give more information about your tank / setup / how you maintain it

JoeJ
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
For starters, do a little research on running carbon.
Here's a link to get you started: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/chemFiltrMar.htm

DaveMorris
06-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Freshwater? Saltwater? Fish only? Reef? 12g nano or 500g mega system? Tell us what your setup is like and it will make it much easier to diagnose. Lighting, feeding habits, livestock, top-off water, salt mix habits, etc. all can have an effect here.

tinytanker
06-09-2008, 10:15 PM
My tank is a recently given to me 55 gallon hex uniaquarium (thats all in back system), with a venturi skimmer. The aquarium was super skummy when i got it, like really bad. i was surprised the fish were even living. but my friend and i cleaned the hell out of it and buffed out the scratches. i put 20g of scripps and 35g of his on sunday the 8th. today i did a 20 gallon water change of water mixed by encinitas tropicial and put seachem de-nitrate in the filter box to help. its cleared up a lot, but still high nitrates. there is 4 medium fish, 3 smallish fish, 2 snails, 2 crabs. feeding i started which is flake in the morning and a cube of frozen shrimp at night. i have no idea what he used.

tinytanker
06-09-2008, 10:15 PM
and its saltwater

JoeJ
06-09-2008, 10:31 PM
FYI: Seachem's website indicates that de-nitrate is effective when nitrate levels are 20 ppm or below (de-nitrate FAQ (http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/denitrate_faq.html)). Your water changes will help gradually bring this level down.

Delphin22
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Some of my noob experience sugestions:
Be patient, make changes slowly. you will achieve stability and clarity most new tanks go through an algae bloom you are probably going through another cyle after the major cleaning.
(balance mechanical, biological, chemical filtration)
good mechanical filtration make sure skimmer is producing lots o skimmate, clean it more often to keep it in most efficient state maybe ever other day for a while. Do you have filter socks? or polishing pads? or equivelant?
reduce light cycle time 6-8 hours.
No direct sunlight.
Use Chemi pure elite synthetic mix of activated carbon to remove phosphates and silica. or equivelant, not sure what the filtration set up is.
Expand clean up crew, mixed species, nassarius, strombus, (in sand) margarita snails on rock, just a few scarlet and blue legged crabs
Maby some purple up (calcium) to get coraline algae going again (competition for resources)
Some chaoto and red grape macros in a fuge or in the tank itself attached to a rock. (they need some light) (competition)
use good RO/DI water, low in phosphates, organics
(slowly raise Magnesium levels)
I'm not a big fan of bio balls if your using them?
(Use the Kent red scrapers on acrylic)