PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right?

BigAir
05-29-2008, 02:13 PM
The wife and I were delivering some parts to a customer 2 weeks ago, and got pulled over.
Long story short, I was cited for not signaling when changine lanes (I did, but wifey didn't tell me that the light was out), and for no proof of insurance.(Couldn't find it when asked, thought it was in my riding jacket) Ended up finding the proof and showed the 2nd officer that was standing next to our car while the 1st was running me in the system. He looked at it and handed it back to me, never said a word. It was an older card, but still the ins. is current. They also pushed me to let them search the car. We let them, but they only tossed the cab, didn't even look at the trunk. Also, I was not told why I was pulled over till the cop handed me the ticket book to sign.
I haven't had any tickets for anything in over 15 yrs.!!!!!!!!!!

Bail notice shows up yesterday to the tune of $950. If I want to plead not guilty, I have to pay that up front and wait for the hearing to see if I get any or all back. *** is that all about???? It was not this way when I had troubles 15+ yrs. ago. When the hell did something so trivial get so expensive? This used to be a fix it ticket and done an over with.

We are going to talk to Mr Ticket, but thought I would bounce it off everybodies heads here as well.
:confused::confused::confused:

CBlanks
05-29-2008, 02:21 PM
You don't explain what your ticket was for when it arrived. I'm guessing it for not signaling and no proof of insurance? If, so you should pay the fine like you said and go to court to fight it. Use the facts you stated above and there shouldn't be an issue getting the fine reduced, and also the no proof discarded. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

barometer
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
:eek::eek::eek: Wow Brady, so sorry to hear it. I don't know anything about the subject but it sure doesn't sound right to me. I guess the 'changing lanes' thing is a moving violation, but that's WAY more than a speeding ticket :crazy:. Hopefully someone with some real knowledge about this stuff can help, GOOD LUCK bro :cool:

sevlar
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
$950? That's CRAP! :mad: I'd plead not guilty out of principle.
What does the ticket say under reason for citation?

jhuynh15
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Fix it tickets used to be $10 and have a cop sign it off. When you signed your name on the book, what was the violation? Should of read the ticket before signing which no one ever does.

Going to the judge and appeal the ticket is a long process but worth it if you got the time. Plea not guilty, reshedule another court meeting, cop who was there will be present, you argue, he argues, judge decides. If the cop isnt present, you will automatically. I might be wrong on that, but I will ask and follow up with you.

Keep us updated, would like to know what exactly was your citation was all about.

Edit:

signal light out = fix it

changing lanes without signaling = moving violation / wreckless manuver (misdemeanor / infraction)

Techknowledgy
05-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Sucks Brady. I got a similar moving violation, first in many years for turning on a red. The light changed while I was in the intersection. Crapper is, it was a red light camera. Now the fricken robots are giving us tickets. Fight it. I watch people change lanes without signaling all the time.

macawilial
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Not sure about the signaling thing but I got a ticket for no proof of insurance too. The ticket came in the mail for around the same price. They told me to show up at the register window (where you pay) down at the courthouse and show them the ticket along with your (at the time) proof of insurance and they'll waive the ticket. I ended up just paying a 10$ "processing fee".

BigAir
05-29-2008, 02:46 PM
I did read the ticket when presented, it listed 22108V.C Failure to signal (Infraction), and 16028 V.C. Proof of insurance. This is also what the bail notice says.
We put up a fuss about the signal part, and Karen told him that I had no clue the blinker didn't work. The cop said " Can't change it now, the ticket is written".

There is so much crap on the bail notice, it is hard to understand what they want me to do. There is also no way in hell that I will be paying the $950. Business has been good, but not that good. Will also be hitting up the local cycle cop to see what he has to say about it.

Techknowledgy
05-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Question Authority. You gotta love the quota system for cops. They all say they don't have one, but my brother in law, who was a chief, said that although there is no written quote, if you don't write enough tickets, it shows up in your performance evaluation. I feel safer already.

jhuynh15
05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Macawilial is correct.

Insurance Violations

The following information applies to the 16028a VC only (No proof of financial responsibility or no proof of insurance). This does not apply to 16028c (No proof of insurance involving a collision) or any other related insurance violations.

If you were cited for failure to provide proof of financial responsibility (insurance), and you did not have insurance on the date of violation you will be required to pay the full bail. However, if you obtain proof of insurance after the date of violation, the court will reduce your bail.

If you had proof of insurance at the time the citation was issued, but were unable to provide proof to the officer who cited you, the violation is dismissible with a $10.00 correction fee.

You may submit proof, as outlined below, with your payment or submit a copy of your insurance policy to the clerk of the court.

Name of insurance carrier

Policy number

Effective dates of coverage showing insurance coverage at the time you were cited

Name of person who received the citation and/or the vehicle listed on the citation

If the proof does not show all of the information, the total bail amount must be paid.

Fraudulent or altered documentation may be referred to the Office of the District Attorney for a full investigation and possible criminal prosecution.

DiverDave
05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a young cop. 22108VC is the wrong VC for failure to signal while changing lanes. That's 22107. Sorry to hear about all this. To be honest, it sounds like they just wanted to take a closer look at you and in your car. They needed a reason for a stop and to be honest, there's plenty of VC available to them. It's BS but it is done AND described in the academy. Hope $10 clears up the ticket!

Redeye
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
you just look suspicous, and when they can't find anything, they throw the book at you

Happens to me often, I just go and fight the ticket, have only had to pay 1 tint ticket and 1 speeding ticket out of maybe 12 tickets:D

bluielover
05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=jhuynh15;365132]Fix it tickets used to be $10 and have a cop sign it off. When you signed your name on the book, what was the violation? Should of read the ticket before signing which no one ever does.[QUOTE=jhuynh15;365132]

yup, still cost $10. got one the other day on my ninja. cop pulled me over for my "license plate being mounted wrong". funny thing, it took for cops to tell me?? probably thought i was going to run. when i got it signed off, the officer told me that they most likely wanted to see if i had all my paperwork:rolleyes:

BigAir
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Ya, I know I don't belong driving a Mercedes.:D If I was in my van or on my bike, they would have not even thought about me. Mabey I should bring up that I was profiled.
Oh, he was a young one all right. Looked to be his first actual stop by the way he was being coached by his superior.
My insurance is and has been current for many years. No way we could have registered her car if it wasn't. Progressive has been electronically filing w/ the DMV for about 3yrs or more. As are all insurance companies are now.

Would have pressed them harder, but they were already treating me like a perp. Right off the bat I was asked if I had been to jail and done any time, on probation or parole, drug/alcohol offences, etc. Have I been drinking today, or done any drugs that day/morning. Accused me of being cited for a drug or alcohol offence prior to that stop.

DaveMorris
05-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Make sure that you file a complaint with the Police Dept. Nothing will be done to fix these incidents unless citizens complain about it properly and respectfully. The bail will go away when you show proof of insurance. I am all for pulling people over for cheesy fix it tickets, so long as they use respect when doing it. My cousin is a cop with SDPD and he alone has put at least a dozen very bad guys in jail because of pulling them over for a license plate light being out or some other trivial infraction.

DBL TAP
05-29-2008, 08:25 PM
If you get a Lawyer have him look into this case:

http://www.courttv.com/archive/trials/campbell/index.html

The final outcome was the Courts ruling that a signal does not have to be used when changing lanes but are required when changing directions.

Good luck

Yolo
05-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Go see the clerk in the back office a the Traffic Court next to AW...they close at 4:30. Have them look at the case, bring your proof of insurance. See if the proof of insurance gets waived, then you have the separate issue of the lane changing issue. You probably qualify for traffic school which allows you to have the entire incident removed from your record. Prob is, you have to pay the bail. There goes your George Bush money.

I just spent $429 for not coming to a complete stop at Pomerado and Poway Road...Camera...

You are right, cash up front to plead not guilty, they want to make sure you are seriuos, otherwise we would all plead not guilty...

Those cops are just people, once they get that badge they can become a-holes or already were, now just empowered. Its all about tax collecting in the long run.

I would file a complaint about the comments, assumptions, and the way you were treated anyway if you feel that strong about it.

Bail amounts on all tickets are gonna go higher now that Arnold needs the cash flow..

We will all be taking the bus or driving compacts that go only 45 real soon..

Sorry to hear about your BS...

LMK if you need traffic school...I'm in the middle of it myself...OH, also, when you talk to the clerk get a 30 day extention on it and at least drag it out that much longer.

And charge your customers more!

Fuel Surcharge = $950 :p

Techknowledgy
05-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Online traffic school is great. Been there, done that.

Good advice from Mike.

Yolo
06-01-2008, 02:21 PM
is a scam...worthless representation, they will probably ask for at least $500 up front, then maybe send someone to court with you or on your behalf for another $500. Every lawyer I've ever talked to asks for $2500 to $5000 up front.

BigAir
07-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Well, after taking my sweet time to take care of this. Went over this morning, showed the proof that I had insurance at the time of the ticket. Was given the option of school for the "failure to signal", declined that. Fine ended up being $178.
Being self employed, it would have cost me more to fight it, and almost as much going to traffic school.

semifan1
07-08-2008, 07:59 AM
I got a ticket a few months back crossing the double line. Hired this lawyer for 100.00 bucks all he did was keep stalling the ticket out until the cop didn't show and boom case dismissed. FTP

Dakota
07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
First of all. NEVER let them search your car. It's your right not to (4th amendment).

Second, cops never signal either, so fight it till the bitter end (also, not that you were unaware your blinker light was out, so that maybe they can reduce it to a fix-it ticket instead). also, be sure the proof of insurance is NOT on the violation. $950 is WAY to steep for a failure to blink violation.

Third, fix your blinker. :p