PDA

View Full Version : Zoa pox or fungus?

Fink Ployd
05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Recently I discovered my some brown pally's with white dots about the size of a pin head. I have done some research and these dont look like the pictures of zoa pox (pictures looked more like pimples). The dots are on the stems, but some pally's have white on their open faces but the dots look like splattered white paint about the size of a pin head. They are still opening up fine, and dont seem to be melting or falling off the rock they are mounted on. I have now noticed some dots (not as concentrated) on other zoas and zoos. I removed the pally's from the tank and scraped one with a scalpel. The bumps can be felt when i run the edge of the blade over them. The zoas and zoos still look very healthy other than the spots, are opening and closing and still eating when fed. The pally's dont really smell (not any more than I would expect). I just want to catch it quickly if it is fungus or pox, because I know when we notice it it is almost too late.

I have read about furan-2 dips, but heard mixed reviews on success of furan-2 with zoa fungus. I was thinking about setting up a QT, removing all zoas/zoos and dosing furan-2 or hydrogen peroxide over a week period or so. Also, are these bacteria and fungus always present in the tank but only take over when zoos are stressed? or should I be worried about remaining fungus in the tank IF i can get this under control?

Any suggestions as to what this could be and possibly how to treat? I have no pics but am hoping someone will recognize by the description.

WanaLeime
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
more than likely a fungus, I've had an outbreak of zoapox in my 90 and ALL my zoas were effected, but ALL my PALYs were unscaved. Furan-2 was a long process, but it worked for me, I was able to salvage some of my colonies. .
either way, i would treat the infected palys.....

Fink Ployd
05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
so with furan-2... should I set up a QT for all zoaz/zoos and do dips and leave the zoas in QT? or can I leave them in the display tank and dip then rinse with salt water? Also, is furan-2 ok for fungus or just pox?

Shells
05-26-2008, 11:57 AM
KBarber,

Here is an article you can read if you are going to use the furan-2

http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

Hope it helps.

shells

Fink Ployd
05-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks Shells!

I have done some more reading about palythoa and discovered that this genus uses sand/debris for support in their polyps. Is it possible that these spots are sand? I have maroon clowns that have been stirring up the tank quite a bit.