PDA

View Full Version : The saga of the Pink/Rose BTS

Shells
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I recently posted a photo of my nem. Which came back with replies that he was sick and or disstressed so I thought I would do a little experiment.

Background -

I received this nem from a SDreefer who said he receieved it from yet another SDreefer - so I am the third Owner (that I know of). When I got the nem, I myself thought it was sick or dyed due to the color and asked the previous Owner who said that that is the way he got it and it was always that color.

I have had this nem since October of 07 so going on 7 months now. In the past he has mostly been fed mysis, along with what he gets when I do my normal coral feeding of turning off main pump and just letter food fly around the tank.

In the past two months or so he has been eating silversides also - but not on a regular basis.

So he has been eating 3 to 4 times a week (but not silversides (or more meating food) each time).

Photo of when I received him:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/ShellsSD/Nem/nem1.jpg

Photo as of March 08 (with old feeding methods)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/ShellsSD/Nem/Nem2.jpg

New feeding method

I am now going to feed the nem more silversides (and meater food) soaked in selcon, around every 3 days. The silversides are chopped up into smaller pieces.

I know there are those of you who do not believe nems need to be fed, but I do disagree and thus will feed my nem.

I will take photos as I go along to see if the nem does become more rosey and lease bleached looking.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying it is suppose to be this color, as I can not find another around, except for ones that people say are sick. But this nem has lived for a long time (and maybe they can) this color.

I will keep you all posted, if I see no changes (with color) with new feeding methods after two months (already been 2 weeks) I will try another method based on your opinions.

Thanks in advance for your input into my little nem life.

Shells
05-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Title should of said BTA - don't know where the s came from?

iwantone
05-20-2008, 09:00 AM
You shouldn't have to feed it more than you already are (1-2x week). I think that anemone looks healthy anyways. When it decides it needs more zooanthellia it will cultivate some.

CBlanks
05-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I know what the s is for....

Shells
05-20-2008, 09:13 AM
When I first got it - I thought it was sick but then it was eating and plumping up so I figured it was just that color (which I do love). After posting the photo and getting the responce that it may be sick I started worrying again.

So I am running this experiment - if it changes color great - if it does not -then even better -because I do love this color but I don't want it to be sick for my own eye pleasing enjoyment. For my own piece and mind I will give more feeding a try.

kjsreef
05-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I got a similar looking anemone from another reefer. Once I put it into my setup with 2X light, it eventually colored up to the more typical RBTA color.

kjsreef
05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
This is an old picture. Today they both look like the one to the left.

Shells
05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
I also just added another 250 w MH into the tank - 90 gallon with two 250 w. So that will make a difference also.

Redeye
05-20-2008, 01:32 PM
just don't light shock everyone:D

Shells
05-20-2008, 02:43 PM
just don't light shock everyone:D

Using a screen method to acclimate the light.

iwantone
05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
You won't light shock him, he will just retract more if he gets too much light.

Shells
05-20-2008, 04:22 PM
I did not buy the lights for the nem - I bought the lights for other corals, he will just benifit along with the others.

SuperDragon
05-20-2008, 09:43 PM
That's a beautiful nem Shelly and your taking great care of it or it wouldn't be alive.
Great Job!

Shells
05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks Rich - we will see if a little more food and a little more light changes anything.

aanntthhoonnyy
05-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Interesting.

I'll keep my eye on this.

Shells
05-24-2008, 08:47 AM
After 3 weeks of feeding every 3 days - Both my husband and I can see a difference. The new lights were added last week, however, they are screened up and producing the the same amount of light as before (give or take). Today I am going to take off one of the screens - so more light will now be added to the tank.

I am attributing the change in color to food and not light at this time.

The amount of food givin to the anemone is one small piece of a silverside (about the size of the tip of your pinky) and a small portion of mysis. The silversides and mysis are soaked in selcon.

I will update every week or so, with any changes.

Let me know what you guys are thinking.

(you can notice the change in color, mostly in the bulb itself)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/ShellsSD/Nem/5-29-086.jpg

Shells
06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
It has been a month since I posted on this thread so I thought I would give an update.

I have been feeding the nem every 3 or 4 days. He has been getting both mysis and silversides. As you can see in the photo below I don't have a lot to report as there has not been a whole lot of change in the last month, He is getting more color but not alot. He does seem to be retaining more water and looking plump. The bottom half is alway more plump then the top half - not sure what this means?

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/ShellsSD/Nem/IMG_6522.jpg

kjsreef
06-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Lookin good. I can really see the difference, just give it more time. Nice job nursing it back to health.

Shells
09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
OK - it has been over 2 months since I updated this so I wanted to post something.

I have been feeding the nem silversides about 2 times a week. He also got moved into a new tank about a month ago, but appears to be pretty happy and is growing really well. I may move him up in the tank for more light but not sure yet.

My conclusions on this experiment is that Nems DO NEED to be fed. I know some of you will say no they dont but based on my nem I say yes.

Here are some photos

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/ShellsSD/180%20reef/IMG_8481.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/ShellsSD/180%20reef/IMG_8480.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn267/ShellsSD/180%20reef/IMG_8479.jpg

jrlafrance
09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
One thing I find interesting is the lack of "bubbles" your nem has shown with the feedings. I've heard the reason they lose their bubbles is because they are "hungry". I started feeding my GBTA 1 silverside a day (built up to that, of course), but sadly the bubble tips have not returned. Wish I knew why.

Shells
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
James,

Check out this page

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/whynobubbletips.htm

In my case - depending on the time of day or even week - sometime there are bubbles sometime there is not, but I don't worry about it.

I know you will always get mixed reviews on reef tanks but I really like Karen's web page and have gotten a lot of good advise from it that works for me.

Shelly

Shells
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
and by the way - this is what I like to believe :lol:

From Karen's page
"Also something else I have noticed over the years is, if the tank has perfect water quality then they usually do not have bubble tips."

Now if only the colors of my sps would read this and know that they should look better with my "perfect water quality"!

SDguy
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Quite an improvement! FWIW mine mostly has bubbles when it's been fed well....

h20poloman
09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
looking good Shelly. FWIW I feed my nems once a week with a silverside each and then I typically squirt some mysis on them as well during the week. If you are feeding silversides twice a week I'm sure you will continue to see growth. My sebae is about 16+" and BTA has grown some, probably around 7".

vlad_acosta
09-13-2008, 08:41 PM
i saw a neon pink BTA just like yours at the Fountains Aquarium display tank in La Mesa...they also had a bleached white star polyp...looked really cool :rolleyes::rolleyes:they wouldnt frag i asked:runaway: