PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Account "hacked"??

Yolo
05-16-2008, 01:08 PM
While I was in a conference yesterday, I received an email from Paypal notifying me of my "payment" of $100EU to an unknown Skype Account?

Then a few emails later, another email about Skype refunding me my monies?

Calls to Paypal only note the event did occur. They did take $158.99 out of my checking account (nice devaluated dollar) and Paypal assures me a refund is in progress.

No matter what you do, you cannot ever find an actual phone number to call Skype, it does not exist. Email only. And by coincidence, Skype, Ebay, and Paypal are all owned by the same company.

I changed all my passwords and made sure the Paypal account goes to an expired credit card.

Reminder to all to not use the same password for paypal, hotmail, and online purchases where they ask you for your email address.

What a mess...gonna end up with a whiteboard near my computer to manage all the different logins and passwords!

afitzwater
05-16-2008, 01:29 PM
damn that sucks... thanks for the heads up

jrlafrance
05-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I hear you Mike. Seems like I've got 4-5 different passwords floating around to meet tightening password security requirements (alphanumeric, caps, etc.,). Sorry to hear about your account. Several months ago, I had my ebay account hacked, and thousands of $$worth of stuff from the Mexico version of ebay was "won" by me. Hassle dealing with the seller, and ebay trying to get it fixed.

MichaelRyanSD
05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Damn...there on to me.....

Yolo
05-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Just make sure you never link your PayPal acct (or anything else for that matter) to your checking acct.

My Bank (who I have banked with for 20 years) wants $24 to put a stop payment on it.

Instead, I have to wait for a Paypal refund which I have to then retransfer back into my account...(after they send me a letter in the mail to verify I am who I am)...some nice scam to tie up my $$$$ for a few days or a week...

I find it hard to believe multiple attempts to log in won't disable an account...no way they applied tools against that login..

I smell a Paypal/Skype rat here.

JR - you are keeping a polock in suspense...what happend with the Chiller?

jrlafrance
05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
JR - you are keeping a polock in suspense...what happend with the Chiller?

Here (http://http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26761) is the latest. Any suggestions?

SDguy
05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Just to clarify. So you think someone hacked your paypal account? And paypal caught it before even you did? Paypal had no comment about a reason for th withdrawl?

Yolo
05-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Paypal shows a payment of 100 Euros to a Skype acct, then an immediate refund to me by Skype.

Any attempts to guess a password would result in lockout.

Recently, I made an online purchase for some goods online, guessing one of those Admins compromised my password or was compromised?

Did not respond or reply to a phishing scheme.

Password was my hotmail account (pretty openly used) and a very weak password comprised of two ordinary words.

Complaint (only option) to Skype is an email.

Monday, after I take a picture of myself, my ID, and a letter to prove my address and upload it to Paypal, they will release my account.

This is WIERD and a PITA

wallaceedward
05-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd be real cautious of the road you're taking. Especially the part of sending them a photo of you, an ID, etc... There are true PROFESSIONALS out there who make a living stealing identities and im just very skeptical of everything they're asking you to send.

LotsaFishies
05-16-2008, 03:46 PM
that's scary...

Yolo
05-16-2008, 05:03 PM
I was actually dramatizing the verification process. Once your acct gets locked and you have a change of address involved (which I did) they have a mail verification process or I can provide them with a jpg of a photo id and piece of mail. My CA DMV is pretty accessable as is my SDGE bill. They (paypal) have a verification process that once you log in, they allow you to upload a file to them.

I am logging onto my Paypal acct, seeing all this and calling their customer service all along this transaction.

Whats different is the Skype portion who apparently lives in a virtual only world. I was just about to register and buy some minutes on Skype also since I'm going on Vacation and want that .02 per minute rate for Mexico...gonna have to use a CC on that one.