PDA

View Full Version : Electrical panel upgrade for home

pk-sd
05-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I might have to upgrade my electric panel to 200 amps. Has anyone ever done this? How much does it cost to do this(or to get it done) ?

Thanks
PK

Fine Fins
05-08-2008, 09:22 PM
why pk too much reef gear?

DaveMorris
05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I did that a few years ago. The panel, breakers, riser pipe, and wire cost me about $300 at Home Depot. I did the work in one day, finished the stucco over a week, and it was pretty simple. I live in Lemon Grove and the permit was only $89. It is an easy process:

Buy the materials
Get a permit
Call SDG&E to come out and disconnect
They disconnect the power and the inspector calls them to come back when you are done.

My new panel has 24 breaker spaces and they are now all full, including a few doubles.

I can help you do the work, but I can't fix stucco to save my life.

pk-sd
05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
why pk too much reef gear?

House re-modeling. Hope yours is almost done now.

pk-sd
05-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I did that a few years ago. The panel, breakers, riser pipe, and wire cost me about $300 at Home Depot. I did the work in one day, finished the stucco over a week, and it was pretty simple. I live in Lemon Grove and the permit was only $89. It is an easy process:

Buy the materials
Get a permit
Call SDG&E to come out and disconnect
They disconnect the power and the inspector calls them to come back when you are done.

My new panel has 24 breaker spaces and they are now all full, including a few doubles.

I can help you do the work, but I can't fix stucco to save my life.

Cool. Do you do this professionally ? Can I hire you to do this (minus stucco work:)) sometime in the the future.

Fine Fins
05-08-2008, 10:00 PM
mine is done we are moved in and they are working on my moms house now.

pk-sd
05-08-2008, 10:06 PM
mine is done we are moved in and they are working on my moms house now.

Good !!!:)

Hope your mom is doing well now.

dj9264
05-09-2008, 01:50 AM
My quote was for 2 grand which included the permit.

It is a common and worthy upgrade.

jrlafrance
05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
What size is the panel currently? I've been to your house, and I would imagine that it currently is 200 amp.

I might have to upgrade my electric panel to 200 amps. Has anyone ever done this? How much does it cost to do this(or to get it done) ?

Thanks
PK

DaveMorris
05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I am happy to help with it, but all of my electrical work is temp installs for concerts and corporate meetings, usually dealing with very large amounts of power at both 480v as well as 120/208v. I know how to do it to the building code, but I am not a licensed contractor. It kind of depends on which way you want to go.