PDA

View Full Version : Any Mountain Bikers here, close to Rancho Bernardo

Trickman2
05-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey Guys, I miss riding but don't have any friends who live here that ride anymore. Anyone Ride that lives close to RB?

SDFISHMAN
05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm down south but I'm always looking for somewhere new to ride. Heres my bike.

http://i22.tinypic.com/2gsn59f.jpg

nahtanoj
05-04-2008, 07:39 PM
hmm, maybe i should get back into it...

Trickman2
05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Nice full suspension bike, I just a have a Raleigh M80 hard tail. If you want to riding at lake hodges sometime let me know.

nahtanoj
05-04-2008, 08:09 PM
i had a raleigh m800 hardtail, great bike.

onad75
05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
thats a nice bike Justin..

Where is the good store to buy mountain bike? What brand?

LotsaFishies
05-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I love to mountain bike! Been couple of years since I've ridden last... I'm pathetically out of shape now though... I've got an '02 Giant Warp Ds2, full suspension.... my buddies and I used to go up every summer and hit the Big Bear ski slopes...

I'd love to meet up with some people and cruise over around Lake Hodges...but with the understanding that I'm going to be dying after about 1/2mile!

dj9264
05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm with you there Chris - the out of shape part.

I raced about three events a year in Big Bear but I stopped racing in '95.

I ride an '04 Marin SuperLite. Mostly, I ride Mission Trails. But, it's been too long.

LotsaFishies
05-04-2008, 11:18 PM
ooohhh... Marin! I haven't seen one of those in awhile... very nice bikes! Not to mention probably a good 10lbs lighter than my lead beast!

dj9264
05-04-2008, 11:51 PM
The bike may be lighter but a got an extra ten around my belly.

I'll be up for a Lake Hodges ride. Never been there.

Has anyone been down Noble Canyon lately?

LotsaFishies
05-05-2008, 12:01 AM
The bike may be lighter but a got an extra ten around my belly.

I'll be up for a Lake Hodges ride. Never been there.

Has anyone been down Noble Canyon lately?

Noble canyon's a real fun ride, as long as you've got a buddy with a truck waiting for you at the bottom! I haven't been out there in 3 years or more...

Perhaps I'll organize a Lake Hodges ride in ~2 weeks or so... I won't have time till the end of the semester ~19th. Lake Hodges is pretty mellow, pretty easy, pretty flat. There's a couple of fun little side trails, several smaller jumps, a creek or two... There's also one pretty fun, tougher mountain with a relatively steep ~single track. I'd definitely be up for the flatter part to start off with! :D

Trickman2
05-05-2008, 04:28 AM
thats a nice bike Justin..

Where is the good store to buy mountain bike? What brand?

Performance bikes sells bikes and black mountain bikes. As far as brands Raleigh makes nice bikes, Gary fisher and a lot more. Depends on your budget.

Use to be a supergo but I think they went out of business.
ttp://www.performancebike.com/

JAHGYDI
05-05-2008, 05:24 AM
daley ranch escondido next to lake dixon kicks my a$$ every time

Trickman2
05-05-2008, 05:44 AM
daley ranch escondido next to lake dixon kicks my a$$ every time

Been along time since I rode that one. Also that was one of the scariest rides I ever did. Me and a buddy where riding and we hit the the Water towers only to see men in black and ski Masks with automatic Machine guns, I flipped that bike around so quick and had a power sprint all the way back to the ranger station....Only to find out it was a military drill. Got one hell of a workout on the way back.

Anyways I am out of shape too, that why I threw up the post in hopes we could get some sd reefers who enjoy riding.

LotsaFishies
05-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Been along time since I rode that one. Also that was one of the scariest rides I ever did. Me and a buddy where riding and we hit the the Water towers only to see men in black and ski Masks with automatic Machine guns, I flipped that bike around so quick and had a power sprint all the way back to the ranger station....Only to find out it was a military drill. Got one hell of a workout on the way back.

Anyways I am out of shape too, that why I threw up the post in hopes we could get some sd reefers who enjoy riding.

Oh crap! That would freak the crap out me!

I've been to daley ranch once.....threw up twice. lol

juke
05-05-2008, 06:55 AM
I am definitely out of shape, but I have a nice Kona in my garage collecting dust and it kills me to see it! Need to do something about that!!!
I am down for some riding if anyone is looking...

pcon
05-05-2008, 07:00 AM
I miss riding. I have a Specialized Hardrock Hardtail. Bone stock. Great bike. She needs a tune up BADLY.

LotsaFishies
05-05-2008, 07:23 AM
A lot of bikers here, cool.

Are weekends better for everyone? After the 19th ill have a bit more free time, I could probably even do a weekday ride...

nahtanoj
05-05-2008, 09:01 AM
a good place to buy is mountain bike warehouse, its right off the 5 on either balboa or clairemont, can't remember.
good brands
santa cruz-$$$$$
specialized-$$$$
giant-$$$
raleigh-$$$
trek-probably among the best deals right now as far as bang for the buck
you guys are giving me the itch...i used to down hill at big bear and noble on a santa cruz bullit, last bike i had was a trek 55, or something like that. santa cruz's are the best riding IMO, but so damned expensive.

Nick_Kun
05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
hey jon, what would you suggest for a novice like me? I mean I know how to ride a bike ;), but what would be a begginers bike?

- Nick

Diver Dan
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
CL is the best place to find a bike, we get bikes off there for way cheap! My dad just bought a Specialized Epic for $1,000, the bike is so smooth and fast! I would want to do some rides! There are a ton of trails around my house (some awesome downhill rides)!

nahtanoj
05-05-2008, 09:51 AM
well nick, whatever you do, don't buy a $150 walmart bike. other than that if you are looking for cost(cheap) and quality, i'd look at giant, trek, and raleigh. raleigh has some nice hardtails, and the geometry of the bike is great. they are a lower priced top end bike. your best bet is to go to mountain bike warehouse, no i don't work for them, and ride a few bikes. they will let you try all of them out. from there you will get a feel for what your size is, whats comfortable, and the guys there won't BS you. then you can find a used one for less on craiglist, or buy new if they have what you are looking for.

the difference in hardtail vs. full suspension, other than price, going down hills on a full suspension, you can relax a little more, the bike takes the impacts, on a hardtail, you have to stand most of the time, so your arse doesn't get abused.

acbaldwin
05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I ride an old Marin Lite, mostly on paved road to work. It's a fast and light bike, but Jesus Christ Monkeyballs is this thing uncomfortable!

Trickman2
05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Well we are going to have to setup a ride soon. Weekends in the morning are best for me.

pako73
05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I used to ride a ton when I lived in SD and yes, way out of shape to ride these days.lol..have a GT hard tail with some upgrades. Man, we used to hit up all the trails in town...Daly, Sycamore, Black Mtn, etc and Hodges was probably our favorite plus we'd hit up the margarita and chips @ Hernandez Hideaway when we were done. :)

Blaze
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
naw i ride flatland though. if you ever wanna learn that.

ever seen "RAD"

dj9264
05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Anytime is good, but I work Saturdays untill 5p.

Love to get on some No. Co. single track!

dvincent
05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I use to ride with a local group a couple of years ago http://members.cox.net/garyfox/ and haven't been out in about 6 months. if someone wants to organize a ride i am up for anytime on a sunday. Darrin

sac_ngheo
05-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Haven't gone a good mountain biking for 2.5 years since I have my boy. My bike 27lb, and have to pull 30lb trailer and 25lb boy.

Love to do some light ride, don't think I could hit Cowles Mountain anymore!

(In the pix is the wife holding my bike pulling the boy in the trailer, hers on ground)

Nick_Kun
05-05-2008, 08:19 PM
well nick, whatever you do, don't buy a $150 walmart bike. other than that if you are looking for cost(cheap) and quality, i'd look at giant, trek, and raleigh. raleigh has some nice hardtails, and the geometry of the bike is great. they are a lower priced top end bike. your best bet is to go to mountain bike warehouse, no i don't work for them, and ride a few bikes. they will let you try all of them out. from there you will get a feel for what your size is, whats comfortable, and the guys there won't BS you. then you can find a used one for less on craiglist, or buy new if they have what you are looking for.

the difference in hardtail vs. full suspension, other than price, going down hills on a full suspension, you can relax a little more, the bike takes the impacts, on a hardtail, you have to stand most of the time, so your arse doesn't get abused.

Good looking out jon. I'm ordering a custom raleigh. I can't wait! :)

- Nick

Trickman2
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Okay so I would prefer Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Area I would like to Ride: Lake hodges would be a good start up point for me.

What about the rest of you?

sKwiD
05-05-2008, 09:22 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb191/svongkas/DSC00083.jpg

I just got my first bike a few days ago, a Cannondale F7. Got her dirty for the first time yesterday and the bike still needs breaking in (and so do I cuz I'm a total noob). Picture was taken at Rose Canyon, anybody else ride there?