jblaze
04-25-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/

pako73
04-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Man, that's whack!!!

mazilla
04-25-2008, 08:14 AM
i guess i'm retarded, i cant find anything about it in your link...

sKwiD
04-25-2008, 08:14 AM
That sucks. Guess I better not hit the water anytime soon.

pako73
04-25-2008, 08:16 AM
I didn't find anything either Maz, must be not posted yet...just a headline OR I guess I'm retarded too.

socalaly
04-25-2008, 08:18 AM
hey maz its in the bold yellow and red headline on the top no story. More if you go on www.cbs8.com

mazilla
04-25-2008, 08:18 AM
i found a little info on fox6.com, it seems a groupd was swimming, and somebody from shore saw a shark take a guys leg off at the knee, it says he died.

jrjuiliano
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
April 25, 2008

Shark attack off Solana Beach kills man

The Sheriff's Department reports one man is dead in an apparent shark attack near Fletcher Cove in Solana Beach. More details when we get them.
Posted by Greg Gross April 25, 2008 08:44 AM

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/2008/04/shark_attack_off_solana_beach.html

cagirly2006
04-25-2008, 10:10 AM
updated page from nbc and they say they think it was great white...and another great white was seen a few days ago off point loma.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/15993008/detail.html

he was a member of the triathalon club that swam there every friday...Sad story!!

In case you dont want to click the link...

SAN DIEGO -- A swimmer died Friday after being attacked by a shark in the water off Solana Beach, lifeguards reported.

A group of nine swimmers entered the water near Fletcher Cove at about 6:30 a.m. for their daily ocean swim, according to witnesses. They swam northward, and While they were swimming, a 66-year-old man was bitten on both thighs, the spokesman for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said. Other swimmers looked back and saw the man flailing before he was pulled under the water, the spokesman said.

Witnesses said the victim resurfaced screaming. Several other swimmers pulled the man to shore.

Lifeguards arrived and a helicopter ambulance was called, but the victim bled to death on the beach.

Helicopter video showed lifeguards, firefighters and police gathered at the main lifeguard station in Solana Beach. What appeared to be the victim's body covered by a yellow tarp was visible under a portable shade structure behind the headquarters.

The victim's identity was not immediately known.

Lifeguards did not know what kind of shark attacked the man, but they speculated that it was a great white.

Diver Dan
04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Why do they close down the beach? Is this communist Russia? I was planning on surfing today, now they have swamis closed down! Guess i am going to have to go to a southern beach...:( Sharks are always out there, there is no difference in this day than any other day... It does not make sense to me...

LotsaFishies
04-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Dang... That sucks. Bleeding to death doesn't sound too fun.

sandiegan
04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
So- when they close down a beach, what happens when you walk out to the beach and try to get in the water? You get fined or something?

Diver Dan
04-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I just heard something on 10 news saying that the lifeguards are not making the people get out of the water... News hype made it sound like it....

barometer
04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Why do they close down the beach? Is this communist Russia? I was planning on surfing today, now they have swamis closed down! Guess i am going to have to go to a southern beach...:( Sharks are always out there, there is no difference in this day than any other day... It does not make sense to me...

What, R U the mayor of Amity Island Trever? You're gonna need a bigger board :p
Do yourself a favor and stay out of the water today. Last shark fatality in SD was in 1959. Don't make it two in one day :cool:
I don't think they can force you out or take action, only warn

SuperDragon
04-25-2008, 10:49 AM
so sad, he was a retired Vet.

Diver Dan
04-25-2008, 10:56 AM
What, R U the mayor of Amity Island Trever? You're gonna need a bigger board :p
Do yourself a favor and stay out of the water today. Last shark fatality in SD was in 1959. Don't make it two in one day :cool:
I don't think they can force you out or take action, only warn

LOL
Look at the news, the surf looks clean and fun! I dont think i can stay out!;)
Yeah right, bigger board, so i can pull my feet up:D

Scripps "expert" says it is a white... They are here, they have always been here... We are only 500 miles or less from one of the sharkiest places in the world...

SDFISHMAN
04-25-2008, 11:18 AM
500 Miles form the sharkiest place in the world. Where is that??

cagirly2006
04-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Its very close to one of there breeding grounds, and i work in the nbc building and i heard some poeple saying they want nobody in the water because a great white was spotted a few days ago in point loma so they are assuming this is the same one that has been in the area for a few days there expecting it can stay a few more day, its not like he got a meal and is full and ready to go on his way since all he did was bite the guy...maybe he is on his way to la jolla for some better tasting creatures...

Techknowledgy
04-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Everyone go surfing today, that is the only way to reduce your odds of being eaten. You are in more danger driving home from the mall than in the water off of our coast.

Being bitten hurts for a bit............... then goes numb when you are in shock..... then you get cold and sleepy, you die as you bleed out. (My dive master told me this one.....)

Do not wear your black wetsuit or use the board with the seal painted on the bottom.

SDFISHMAN
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
In the past few weeks there a 15'+ great white has been spotted at catalina island playing with peoples boat. My buddy Dana's dad was one of the original bottom scrathcers (Local freedivers) and was saying alot of people don't know how many there rrally are in san diego waters. The tip of Pt Loma is a major breeding ground and they are there year around. I wouldn't be afraid to go in the water. They mistaked him for a seal 6:30am he was breakfest. It sucks but when we enter the water where in there world..

Diver Dan
04-25-2008, 11:37 AM

NorCal there is TONS!

They also have a breeding ground in the La Jolla Trench which runs about 2,000 feet deep a little over 300 yards of the shore.

The surf looks awesome right now! I think i will go to the beach the guy got bitten at just so the news can not say that "there is no one in the water":p

Delphin22
04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Total bummer.
I think whites are migrating north from Mex Guadalupe Island towards Faralon Islands up north etc.

They should talk to Doc at Sand Diego Shark Diving. He's the man when it comes to up close and personal experience with the local shark species. Not just some pecker head academic quoting a old text book. LOL
http://www.sdsharkdiving.com/

cagirly2006
04-25-2008, 11:40 AM
this is from an artile on nbc

"Researchers estimate that there are between 100 and 300 great white sharks off the coast of California, but most of them are believed to be in the waters off of Northern California. Experts say female white sharks come to the warmer waters of Southern California to give birth, but they rarely come into contact with humans. "

also this and it doesnt make sense to me, we have TONS of harbor seals...and the article on nbc was just updated and says someone spotted a sea lion in the area around the same time which is unusual in that area so they say they think he was hunting the sea lions and came to shore to get it and mistakes the man for it...makes sence..probably bit him, found out it wasnt it, and left.

:We get some occasional visitors during the warming trends," said Bob Burhans of the Birch Aquarium at UCSD. "We can get a bull shark or a dusky or even a great hammer head off the coast, but they're rare visitors."

Why? Because our waters don't have the food they want. The legendary "great white" shark, for instance, is found up around San Francisco. But they rarely venture near San Diego.

"I wouldn't expect to see the large white sharks come into an area like this," marine biologist Dave Holts told NBC 7/39. "They're principally interested in sea lions and harbor seals."

mazilla
04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Techknowledgy;353826] You are in more danger driving home from the mall than in the water off of our coast.
QUOTE]

You are also more likely to have a plane fall out of the sky and land on you than being bitten by a great white....I read that someplace, lol.

Diver Dan
04-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Hopefully this cleans out the lineup a little bit this weekend...

Techknowledgy
04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
The shark or the media coverage?

SuperDragon
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Stinson Beach near San Francisco, when I lived there.

Diver Dan
04-25-2008, 12:13 PM
The shark or the media coverage?

Both...:D

coral diver
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
When was the last fatal shark attack here 1959 like 49 years ago

cagirly2006
04-25-2008, 12:34 PM
The last fatal shark attack along San Diego County was off Ocean Beach in April 1994.

copied and pasted from this article on the attack...

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/15993008/detail.html

davocean
04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
That's really too bad, and pretty close to my place, not far at all from where I normally dive at night for lobster.
I'm sure it was another mistaken identity, big group of swimmers making lots of splashing, and from what I heard he was the straggler of the group.
We do have alot of whitey's breeding off point loma, but usually not an issue as they tend to not feed during their breeding.
Normal migration takes them straight out the trench at PL and then past Catalina, and there is a huge population of sharks between here and Catalina.
Too bad for that guy, heard he was a veterinarian.
It's a terrible thought to be part of the food chain.

Diver Dan
04-25-2008, 07:01 PM
All those years trying to help animals, and then gets eaten by an animal... Does not sound right...

Mom says i cant go surfing:(

pcon
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Sad.

I guess that is why I saw the Coast Guard helicopter flying up and down La Jolla Shores today when I was there with my son.

goody
04-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Very sad! I do a lot of my bike rides and brick workouts with the Triathlon Club of San Diego. Looks like I'll be doing more of my swimming workouts in the pool at the gym.

Diver Dan
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/article_bamp.cfm?id=15109
Another one in Mexico....

Techknowledgy
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
RE: Mom......... can't say I blame her. Beached my kid too.

You are a reefer Trever.... patience. :-)

Diver Dan
04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I went out the day after the shark attack, my bro is a lifegaurd and he was trying to scare me by saying that he saw a 30 foot white going out right next to where i was surfing:D freak accident, i dont let it scare me... we should be more afraid of bees than sharks!:D