PDA

View Full Version : 70w HQI DE Setup

brahm
01-03-2005, 09:08 PM
I have a 70w HQI DE pendant setup it was originaly made be SDMIKE I think.. I bought it's been sittings works great, cool retrofit good for Nano's

colindoug3
01-03-2005, 11:02 PM
bulb and ballast? it says setup, but i wouldnt consider just a pendant a setup.

brahm
01-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by colindoug3
bulb and ballast? it says setup, but i wouldnt consider just a pendant a setup.

yes complete setup, pendant, bulb, and ballst

ninhsavestheday
01-03-2005, 11:28 PM
argh, where were you last week?!

brahm
01-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ninhsavestheday
argh, where were you last week?!

in mammoth.

Bickmade
01-04-2005, 06:44 AM
What kind of bulb is it? What kind of ballast is it using? Does it have a on/off switch? Does it come with housing and UV shielded glass?

brahm
01-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Bickmade
What kind of bulb is it? What kind of ballast is it using? Does it have a on/off switch? Does it come with housing and UV shielded glass?

Bulb, i'm not sure.. Ballast...i'm not sure, Yes it comes with UV shielding and it does have an ON off switch, um.. SDMIKE built it. He can proboly answer more questions then me.

SDMike
01-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by brahm
Bulb, i'm not sure.. Ballast...i'm not sure, Yes it comes with UV shielding and it does have an ON off switch, um.. SDMIKE built it. He can proboly answer more questions then me.

I was JUST about to chime in... then I saw this. So I'll try my best to make BOTH brain cells fire at the same time and answer yer questions.

Bulb's a 10k Ushio

Ballast is... Ballast is.... Electronic but I don't remember specifically which one. (Its been about 6mos since I built the light. 3EU something or another comes to mind...

Even better than an on-off is the fact that the ballast is mounted in a computer power supply box. I don't remember if I built in a fan, but I seem to remember a 12v fan in the box that you just need to go to Gateway Electornics and buy a 12v converter to make it hunky dory.

The light itself has a computer power cable so you don't have to remove EVERYTHING to disconnect the light to move the hood. The female end of the power cable (~5' IIRC) comes from the ballast so you can put the box pretty much anywhere.

The pendant is a Home Depot floodlight modified slightly to make the bulb fit. On the outside, it looks stock. Its got a mounting flange so you can mount it either horizontally or vertically (like I had it on the 30L.)

I had 2 of these babies over my 30L and they provided PLENTY of light.

It cost me ~$125 plus time and head scratching to build the lights. Treylane had this one at one point.

Its actually not that hard to build these guys once you get the right stuff! Took me a few trips back and forth to Gateway to get everything I needed...

If I had a smaller reef and wanted MH, I'd do it again. If y'all want info on where to find the bulb, PM me. I think I still have the site bookmarked.

TMI??

HTH,

M

pomby27
01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
money sent

brahm
01-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by pomby27
money sent

shipped.