PDA

View Full Version : Methods for lugging water back from Scripps

SanDiegoReefs
03-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Alright, now that I'm finally setting up my new tank... I have to ask you guys what seems to be the most efficient way to transport larger quantities of water from Scripps.

In the past, I've just used a 5g jug from AW, easy to carry. But now that we're talking 10-30gallons a trip, it's a different story.

So what do you guys use? Multiple 5 gallon containers? Big huge containers (20g+, how do you get it inside?)

It seems like using 4-5 five gallon jugs would be easier simply because you can carry them in one at a time.

-moore

MarLooney
03-06-2004, 02:20 AM
10-30gallons is nothing... even though that's my entire reef! HAHA. go for the multiple jugs. i just got 3 more jugs today so i have 5 now. perfect i think for water changes on my tanks.

brahm
03-06-2004, 02:44 AM
i get about 14 gallons a visit, I have 3 7 gallon jugs from K-mart.

SDMike
03-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by moore
Alright, now that I'm finally setting up my new tank... I have to ask you guys what seems to be the most efficient way to transport larger quantities of water from Scripps.

In the past, I've just used a 5g jug from AW, easy to carry. But now that we're talking 10-30gallons a trip, it's a different story.

So what do you guys use? Multiple 5 gallon containers? Big huge containers (20g+, how do you get it inside?)

It seems like using 4-5 five gallon jugs would be easier simply because you can carry them in one at a time.

-moore

That all depends on how much water you need to carry! MParkis has a pair of 50gal barrels in the back of his pickup. I use 6 5gal jugs. I've seen some REALLY BIG vats down there.

I haven't a clue how the guys with the big vats get the water inside. Maybe a pump?

Mike

EyeReef
03-06-2004, 10:38 AM
depends on how close you live to scripps.. if your traveling far you gotta make the trip worth it. Get at least 35 gallons...

chin_monster
03-06-2004, 11:17 AM
I've got a 100-gallon plastic tank that makes things really easy along a pump and long enogh hoses and extension cords.

That is when my old truck is working, right now it's 5-gallons at a time in the back of my celica. 7 seven fit in the trunk.

jetor
03-06-2004, 12:09 PM
I typically take a rubbermaid brute trashcan (64 gallons?) in the back of my truck. Place a trashbag around the rim when it is filled to reduce water sloshing out. I then have a big rio pump to transfer the water out of that can and into another in my garage and there it stays till I need it.

rza007
03-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by jetor
I typically take a rubbermaid brute trashcan (64 gallons?) in the back of my truck. Place a trashbag around the rim when it is filled to reduce water sloshing out. I then have a big rio pump to transfer the water out of that can and into another in my garage and there it stays till I need it.

I think Ive seen you there before Jetor...

do you have a ball valve drilled in your trashcan?

Try lugging 8 5g water jugs (the culligan water type) in an old VW hatchback :rolleyes: Im gonna do the trashcan method now

jetor
03-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by rza007
I think Ive seen you there before Jetor...

do you have a ball valve drilled in your trashcan?

Try lugging 8 5g water jugs (the culligan water type) in an old VW hatchback :rolleyes: Im gonna do the trashcan method now

No ball valve needed. I just throw the rio in the in the bottom of the full can in my truck and start filling up the other can in my garage. I don't do enormous or frequent water changes (I should do more) so it lasts me awhile.

bgoode
03-07-2004, 09:59 PM
How long do you store your water? Is there any die off that increases nutrients if let sit for too long?

brahm
03-07-2004, 10:14 PM
i pour mine in that night.

kim92111
03-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Look in the recycler for water tanks/containers, often used for detailing. They sell large containers, anywhere from 100 gallons to 2000 gallons for transporting water.

www.recycler.com

specifically, try this

http://my.recycler.com/asp/AdResults.asp?sKW=water&bIP=0&cmdBtn=Find+It%21&bAnd=1&sAC=%27All%27&iAA=&optWtd=&optSrc=&curNP=&curXP=&bIP=0&iSC=4000

jetor
03-10-2004, 07:15 AM
I do the same thing as Chap.......

REEFWAVE
03-18-2004, 09:49 PM
has anyone had any problems using that water i heard it wasnt filtered, if so couldnt that cause problems like during that red tide or the wierd bacteria that was floating around.

SanDiegoReefs
03-18-2004, 09:57 PM
REEFWAVE:

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=253&highlight=scripps

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=82&highlight=scripps

Read both of those.

-moore

REEFWAVE
03-19-2004, 04:16 AM
thanks for the links, i would still be a little uneasy about using it our water can be fairly contaminated especially after rains and excess run-off. it would be interesting to know exactly how much the sand filtering can remove as far as contaminates go.

chin_monster
03-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Not to be overly harsh sounding, but it is your tank and if you don't feel comfortable using the resource, then by all means don't. It is available and free, if one chooses to use it.

In reality, it wouldn't be surprising to find that the best of the salt mixes have higher levels of contaiments -they are certainly rougher on the animals.

Contamination after a rain or sewage spill is definately an issue. However, time resolves this issue as the ocean utilizes the excess nutrients and dillutes the pollution down to (natural/ normal) background levels.

I do both. Usually it is because of a contaimination issue or simply because I don't want to go get water from from Scripps that I mix water. However, the animals are happier with the NSW.

smooth
06-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Does anyone know where I can find information about whether there is something like that up here in Orange County?

Or, maybe some kind soul can bring me some when he/she makes a trip?!

elgordoinavw
06-09-2004, 08:12 AM
Smooth, I should be home in a few weeks, how much water are we talking about? do you need like 5-10 gallons or are you talking 50-? When I get home i will be driving to West Covina to visit my parents so maybe we can link up. i drive up the 15 because it seems faster, but could take the 5. Water delivered in exchange for? a cool frag or something-

smooth
06-09-2004, 08:25 AM
If someone comes up before or during this weekend, I would like ~15-20 gallons.

But I'll take what I can get. I will be setting up my first tank. The tank is established and I need to move it to my house. The seller told me to get approx 15 gallons as I won't be able to keep all the water.

Sooo, I won't have cool frags YET. But he is going to take as much of his corals as he can off the rocks, but he said that some cool and rare stuff will inevitably remain on there.

I'm willing to trade cool stuff for water after I have enough to trade. But in the meantime, I don't really know what I might have laying around the house. So let me know--maybe some gas money if it comes down to it.

[Cruzer]
06-09-2004, 08:47 AM
I use those foldable 5 gallon containers, got 5 of them. Only 4
bucks at walmart. Had to do 3 trips to fill up my 90uni. But now
I just leave 2 in my trunk and don't take up much space.

Richie

[Cruzer]
06-09-2004, 08:53 AM
And here is a picture wife took while I was getting water.

ricestudios
06-09-2004, 09:05 AM
heres the hose thing

http://www.ricestudios.com/scrippswater.jpg

Don Vito
06-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Wal-Mart sells jugs for cheap 7gal for $5-$7
I live out in Santee so I pick up atleast 4 jugs worth of water.
That will last me about a month.

ricestudios
06-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Don Vito
Wal-Mart sells jugs for cheap 7gal for $5-$7
I live out in Santee so I pick up atleast 4 jugs worth of water.
That will last me about a month.

what do the jugs look like?

ricestudios
06-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by brahm
i get about 14 gallons a visit, I have 3 7 gallon jugs from K-mart.

how much at kmart and what do they look like?

ricestudios
06-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by SoKaL ReeFiN
For the initial setup, just bring a solid plastic container like some kind of trashcan with a lid or something as well as your jugs and fill up enough water to fill your tank. After that, 3 or 4 five gallon jugs each visit should be fine.

when i first filled my tank up with scripps water i used big rubber maid containers that can hold 3 monitors and 2 computers. it was big. what i did was get trash bags and put them in the container and fill up the trashbags with water then tie them up tight. i had atleast 30 gallons in it. when i go home i just drop the whole container from my truck and poke a hole in the bag. the bottom has a removeable water valve that i installed so all i do is put a bucket and fill it up turn it off and fill the tank. or when i first filled my tank i took the bag filled with water laid it over the sandbed and poked several holes and let it drain out of the bag to fill the tank. was easy.