PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it pays to go to the LFS!

SDMike
03-05-2004, 09:49 PM
There I was in Tri-City, looking at the awesome little nano they have on their counter when this little Mexican woman asks me if I like fish.

Uhh, yeah.

You want a fish tank?

Uhhh, sure.

Out to the car we go. I see a bucket of water next to the door with a clown, a starfish, and something purple and yellow. Mind you, the water's only about 3" deep...

K. No problem.

She says that I'll have to clean the tank 'cause its got algae on it.

K. No problem.

Unload the light fixture. Looks like something that's going burn the house down, but hey! who am I to complain about free stuff?

Big trash bag full of stuff goes into the trunk of the car.

Big tank goes in the back seat. Arm length measuring says this thing's a 29. Cool, I've got another 29...

I stop at the store, pick up dinner at Kotija's, and head back to mi casa. I bring the fish bucket in immediately and start a drip.

Dinner's over, time to check out the Monty Haul.

Rock's live with some corals and mushrooms. (and lots of green hair algae, and maybe even an aptasia-ish critter, but I'm not sure yet.)

Turns out the clown's dark brown and about 2.5" long.
The other fish is purple and yellow at about the same size. This poor guy went directly to the side of the tank and is STILL sitting there being miserable! Hope he makes it! Starfish is probably a chocolate chip (according to MParkis) The clown's been swimming around like he owns the tank, so I'm very hopeful on that one.

Now for the bag o' stuff:

Maxi-jet 1200
a misc 840 PH
3 air pumps
an over the back filter that looks like it'll make an awesome HOB refugium
an Eheim canister filter
an Ebo Jaeger 150w heater
and misc airline tubing and misc junk

There was a power strip, but it looked like it had caught fire at some point, so I tossed it.

I went and got the tank out of the back seat of the car. Man! This thing's a beast! Got it in, measured it.

36Lx15Wx20T hmmm, that ain't no 29! Whataminit. I've got a 40L in the garage that is about this size... 40L: 36Lx15Wx17T. Damn! This thing's bigger than the tank I have now!

SCORE!

Begin problem cogitation. Hmmmm, I was going to move everything I have in my 29 reeflet into the 40L tomorrow with J. Chapman's (chap) help. What to do, what to do? Do I clean up the new acrylic tank and use it? Or do I go with the glass 40L I got from Ron?

As I'm typing this, the jury's still out! Another 5 gal is never a bad thing... but then I have a hood with two 70w MH "HD DIY Specials" in it... are the two 70W MH lights going to be enough? Will I need more light for the extra 3"? (probably is my first guess)

Questions for the ages.

So, whaddya think? Do I go with the new acrylic tank? or stick with the 40L? I'm going to have to drill the acrylic tank for the sump... HEY! I can drill it for built-in returns too!

Hmm, I'm puzzled.

Mike

Acoustic
03-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Go with the glass. If you go with the acrylic you will always be super paranoid about scratching it.

sdboogie
03-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Both.
1 show, 1 prop.

SanDiegoReefs
03-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Use the glass tank for your display, and acrylic for a prop tank.

Or a giant fuge!

Or a giant fuge for growing frags.

-moore

MarLooney
03-06-2004, 02:18 AM
that's about 47gal FYI. sell the mofo! HAHA. use the $ to get stuff for your new tank. upgrading to a new tank you always end up with a very empty looking tank. 40L isn't really a good shape of a tank though... but then again neither is my 30T... =D

brahm
03-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Use the glass, for you tank, and the acrlyic for a sump.

SDMike
03-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Is to use one of the two tanks that are roughly the same size to house my Africans...

Choices.

I keep vacillating back and forth between the acrylic tank (which means building and overflow and standpipe) and the pre-drilled 40L...

I've changed my mind about half a dozen times already. The first being 30sec after I woke up thinking about it. (does that mean I'm addicted?)

Chap's either going to come over and help set up the 40L today, or I'm going to wait till I get the overflow built so I only have to screw with it once.

Mike