PDA

View Full Version : Should Premium Membership renew automatically?

Technoviking
04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I know some people feel both ways. As of now, it is set to not renew automatically.

If set to "Yes", it should send you an email 2 weeks before you run out and remind you and do it automatically.

If set to "No", it should send you an email 2 weeks before and not renew automatically.

LotsaFishies
04-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Is it possible to have it send you more than one email? Say one two weeks before, another one week before, then say a third the day before?

If so, I would definitely say yes have it automatically renew.

iVgOnMaD
04-02-2008, 11:44 AM
i think setting it to not renew is gonna save you some headaches from listening to angry people who didnt want to renew

SDguy
04-02-2008, 12:02 PM
What happens to all the "excess" PM's you have stored when you drop down to non premie membership until you pay again? Do they disappear, then re-appear. Does nothing happen to them at all?

LotsaFishies
04-02-2008, 12:04 PM
What happens to all the "excess" PM's you have stored when you drop down to non premie membership until you pay again?

Currently, you have to delete all the PM's until you're back under 50...

Trickman2
04-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey tech did you update the prices on membership?

Technoviking
04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Peter-
They will sit in your account, but you can't send or receive any until you delete back to under 50.

Trickman2-
There was never any plan to change the prices.

Sam Maghsoodloo
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
i think it should, just for convenience's sake. You could also give a 2 week grace period, where you can refund people if they come and tell you they didn't want to be renewed.

Trickman2
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Thats to bad, I doubt I will ever become a premium member then. I would love to help support the site but the cost is to high. I would consider paying 20 a year to help out the site and enjoy a couple benefits.

Technoviking
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
That's your choice :).

Techknowledgy
04-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I have always run into situations where it renews automatically and I wasn't even aware until I looked at my account. I say no. It at least gives us the option.

Technoviking
04-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah the auto renew was disabled right before I became an admin to accomodate people who didn't want it. But I figured I would get a general poll anyways.

Techknowledgy
04-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Cool. Looking forward to the upgrades after you get your computer out of the shop. I don't expire until August.

iVgOnMaD
04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
i think it should, just for convenience's sake. You could also give a 2 week grace period, where you can refund people if they come and tell you they didn't want to be renewed.

great idea!

GrantMBrady
04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
can you let people choose weather or not their own account will renew, make it an option when they sign up and let them change it later if they want to?

jacksandgo
04-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I agree with GrantMBrady. For premium accounts on many chat/membership websites, it's an option to set an auto-renew function for the member, rather than an all or nothing on the admin side feature. That's the best way to address what could become a sticky issue for you in the future.

Definitely, if you can, look into that possibility and save yourself some headaches. Just a heads up from a former IT Pro who sees a bit of drama in your admin future if it's turned on. I can understand why it was disabled prior to you taking over. :) Regardless, good luck with this great site.

sonnybihis
04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
i think i remember the problem being that the auto-renew was charging people more than they expected to pay....something over $50 i thought...but i just checked and it says it's $33...

to me it's worth $33/year to have the extra pm box space alone, but it shouldn't be automatic...but i think emails should go out automatically to remind you you're near expiration...