PDA

View Full Version : Oceans Motions OM 4way

DaveMorris
03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I can not recommend this unit enough. It is a great way to create flow with virtually no flow restrictions. Makes no noise. There are a couple minor issues that have come up with mine:

1. Small grains of sand can cause the interior drum to get stuck and because it is magnetically driven, there isn't enough torque on it to power through the sand.

2. Plumbing it can be quite a pain depending on how you are using it. This is due to the shape and layout of it. I'm not sure that there is really any way around it.

A little note about the fine folks at OM...I ordered a new drum for it because I wanted a different flow pattern. When the package got to me, it was an empty padded envelope. OM is located in Canada, so there shipments get checked in customs. Maybe the customs inspector has a tank. I called to tell them and Cassie apologized and said that she would immediately send me a second one. She never questioned me on it, or pulled the old "It is between you and the shipping company" routine. Very pleasant people to deal with.

I highly recommend this very well built piece of gear if you are looking to utilize a closed loop.

mr240
03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I am using the OM Squirt 2-way. Great product. Have mine connected to my Gen X return pump. I use filter socks so I haven't had any issues with particles causing the drum to stop.

Moon Doggy
03-24-2008, 04:52 PM
No pictures, bummer

leorleor
03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
http://www.reefonline.com.au/shop/images/OM4.jpg

vinny73
03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
I have had a couple problems with sand getting in mine but this is allmost inevitable. The function is awesome! The idea is awesome! The price is insane! I think the price has gone up about 150 bucks since I bought mine!

Moon Doggy
03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks, I never seen one, a little cornfused on how it works exactly.

DaveMorris
03-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Basically a drum rotates inside a plastic vessal and redirects flow into alternating outlets. Check out their site:

www.oceansmotions.com (http://www.oceansmotions.com)

GQJEFF
03-26-2008, 01:59 PM
They are very cool, plus Paul is a great guy also. Used to run 2 4 ways myself.

Jeff

maus42
04-11-2008, 05:39 AM
I run an OM4 on my 150 with a Dart pump pushing the water around. I can't recommend this thing enough- especially in SPS dominated tanks. The intake for my closed loop with the OM4 is a large standpipe with an intake screen in front of the overflow box, about 5 inches from the water surface. This prevents any sand or large particulate matter from being able to get sucked in. All I've seen get sucked into the standpipe is flake food and nori and that stuff just gets chopped up and shot out one of the returns. Keeps the fish on their toes :)

-Sean

Hybrid
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I guess it all depends on your intake position. My intake is close to the sand but large enought it doesnt create a suction. i have it on a Dart and have never had a single problem with it. I love it and would recomend it to everyone.

If anyone is interested. I am set up direct with Oceans Motions so if your seriously interested in picking one up. Let me know...