PDA

View Full Version : New sump design.

Eric F
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm just fished a new design. It incorporates a frag tank and a refugium all in one.

The frag tank slides out of the way to allow you to get into your refugium.

You can also you the light from the frag tank to light up your refugium.

If you need a custom sump designed please contact me. All the acrylic work is being done by SDA619.

jrlafrance
03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
How do you get flow to your frag tank if it's sliding?

Also, on that sump design, which is the skimmer, return and filter areas?

Eric F
03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
The skimmer area is on the right. The middle is the return.

It only slides to allow you to get into the refugium to remove algae.

low
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM
thats pretty slick man.

jrlafrance
03-12-2008, 03:59 PM
The skimmer area is on the right. The middle is the return.

It only slides to allow you to get into the refugium to remove algae.
So, does the water flow from the frag area down to the return/refugium area? Are there teeth on the frag tray that aren't shown?

I'm not trying to pick your design apart, just trying to understand it completely.

EDIT: I just looked closer that the pics....looks like water flows directly from frag area into refugium. When you slide it over, does the water flow directly into the return area?

Eric F
03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Yes the water flows out the frag tank to the refugium. Their is no teeth needed. It will act as a stand pipe. Very low flow. Just to keep LPS.

DaveMorris
03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
That's a cool way to do it. Pretty slick.

iVgOnMaD
03-12-2008, 11:13 PM
it would probably be best to use an external pump so the plumbing doesnt get in the way of the frag tray

Eric F
03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
it would probably be best to use an external pump so the plumbing doesnt get in the way of the frag tray

I know that. I was just showing real quick the water flow.

sandiegan
03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
What is the frag rack sliding on? The largest problem I can see is the sloshing effect that will happen when you slide the frag rack. Granted it's not so bad since the water just goes into the sump/fuge but it could possibly get annoying and splash water where it shouldn't be.

Eric F
03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
What is the frag rack sliding on? The largest problem I can see is the sloshing effect that will happen when you slide the frag rack. Granted it's not so bad since the water just goes into the sump/fuge but it could possibly get annoying and splash water where it shouldn't be.

:confused: The rack is sliding on the rails.

How often do you get into your refugium? Once a month at the most. The water would drain down 1 inch from the top. So there would be no issue with sloshing.

j_electric
03-13-2008, 11:23 AM
eric what is the best way to get ahold of SDA619?

sandiegan
03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Sorry Eric, didn't mean to imply that it's a bad design in any way. I'm actually just interested in it since I thought of something like it but didn't have the means to put it together. What kind of rails are they? Is it just acrylic sliding on acrylic or are you using metal rails or something else?

Eric F
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
It sliding on acrylic. I would put metal in my tank.