PDA

View Full Version : Custom 44g sump design for my 120g cube

CubeReefer
03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Here are my initial designs for a custom sump. Eric F is going to help with the final touches and get the thing built. My last step before my tank gets wet...stand and canopy are 99% complete.

Let me know what you think or provide suggestions.

Thanks,

J

iVgOnMaD
03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
just keep in mind that the level in your sump will be to the height of the refugium's walls, kinda makes that first shorter baffle useless since the water level will be 7" over the baffle. Everything else looks good.

iVgOnMaD
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
here is what I had made just ~ a week ago >

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/ivgonmad/Aquariums/Misc/IMG_1000.jpg

75g

Bubble Trap > Skimmer > Return <Refugium

The skimmer and refugium are fed from the return pump

Refugium overflows into the return section through the bulkhead into a PVC bubble trap (not seen in pic)

HTH

mrsmithers
03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I would suggest a bigger return since that is were the evap. takes place. ivgonmad has a great design because you can control the flow through the refug. without really changing the flow through the sump

CubeReefer
03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks,

Eric F. helped me out a bit last night with reworking the design, and addressed the same problem. I had never designed a sump before. He is supposed to get back to me soon, but if not, I'll probably go with something like iVgOnMaD. It also seems simple enough so not a lot can go wrong.

J