PDA

View Full Version : Something to ponder

Chanas4
02-19-2008, 08:57 PM
alright all you DIYers. This is what I want. Maybe someone can think up a way to do this. I want a way to mount some rock to the back of the tank kind of like those magnet frag racks, but with rock. The reason I am thinking magnets is because my tank already has water in it and I dont want to have to break anything down, but want to add more rock space so to attach corals. I have looked all over on line for somethiing like this and cant find anything.

swissfish
02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
make yourself a your own Reef colum with a hanger to hang the rock from the top. Info can be found at garf.com
bogg seems to make his own rock too, maybe he can help you out too.

DaChrisDude
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Are you wanting the structure of the rock, or the bacterial benefits, or both?

Big problem is being able to support the weight of the rock... is you're primarily wanting the structure of the rock:

-make foam rocks! You can make them in whatever shape you want, if you mess up, simply make another one. They will cover over with algae, coral will grow on them, you can stick frags on toothpicks and stick them into the foam. They will be bouyant, but a strong magnet should be able to do it. Especially after you have some corals or whatever on it that will help weight it down a bit.

RussM
02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Mike (Yolo) came up with a similar idea several months ago... he wanted some corner shelves that would be supported on the sides of the tank walls by magnets. Some of the aragocrete I had made was super lightweight, so I think strong magnets would have worked fine. We just never got around to trying it (my fault, not his). And then I gave all my aragocrete-making supplied to Bogg. Anyway, great idea. The biggest challenges I foresaw in doing so would be to support the weight, and prevent scratching of the tank. Our plan was to use an acrylic backing plate with narrow strips of acrylic glued perpendicularly to the backing plate to give the aragocrete a better grip.

Chanas4
02-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Great ideas guys!! Now I have somewhere to start

crstjohn
02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36405&highlight=frag+mags

Chanas4
02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Thats what i want!! Where did you get your magnets?