PDA

View Full Version : umm....where'd the shoutbox go?

Sam Maghsoodloo
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Soooo....... where'd it go?

BigAir
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
TV had to turn it off, as it was slowing the site waaaayyyyy down.

Technoviking
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Brady is right, we took it down.

Howeve, I'm not quite sure it that is the only reason the site was/is slow. We tested the site from multiple locations around the world and they all came up lightning fast. It seems that the site is fast when viewed as a guest, and slow when logged in. So it makes sense that something that the members has access to is slowing it down, the shoutbox being one of them. We are looking into what else could help.

Sam Maghsoodloo
01-28-2008, 03:52 PM
oh weird. Yeah, i noticed a significant slowdown as well. Did that fix it?

sonnybihis
01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
seems a lot faster now w/out the shoutbox...maybe we should start a chatroom on one of the major im sites (if there's not one already)...sounds like a new thread subject...

Dakota
01-28-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah, it's still semi-slow for me; although I noticed that the shout box contributed to the slow down... It's definitely not the root.

sacredfire
02-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Unless it is using AJAX it will bog the server because when a user isn't actually in the shoutbox the script thinks you are in it, It even shows the "users online" as all Shouting......even when were sending a P.M etc..

Check out this Chat script, It only cost's 5 bucks. you cant actually login unless your a member but it will give you an idea.
San Diego Photo Forum Chat Box (http://sdphotoforum.com/digital-camera/chat/flashchat.php)

It will also show you under "Whos online" as actually chatting.