PDA

View Full Version : how much should i charge

fadel
01-11-2008, 07:26 PM
i just had a request to build this unit

how much you guys think something like this cost................
need openion i dont want to ask too much
i thought 3000 is fair what you guys think

he lives in LA

http://i5.tinypic.com/7287wr8.jpg

SuperDragon
01-11-2008, 07:36 PM
three grand? that's more than all that stuff in there combined.
$$$ depends on how long it will take you to build that sucker

fadel
01-11-2008, 07:57 PM

so you are saying the tank and the equipment and the tv and the millwork is worth three grand

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............. are you ok

no time frame he said i can take my time ...thats i like

SuperDragon
01-11-2008, 08:25 PM
I meant the equipment minus the woodwork (Tv, tank, speakers, etc).
If you worked as hard as you can 8 hours a day, how long would it take?

mr240
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Looks real nice. But wouldn't the light from the tank be too much of a distraction for tv viewing.

Techknowledgy
01-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Charge what he is willing to pay for good quality. The sting of high price does not least nearly as long as the sting of poor quality. 3K sounds about right if it take you about a week.

iVgOnMaD
01-11-2008, 09:00 PM
sounds right to me

BigAir
01-11-2008, 09:03 PM
That price easy, you probably still have room to go up.
Being a fine tolerance worker myself, I bid a min of $500 per day minimum for special stuff (prototypes).

mazilla
01-11-2008, 09:13 PM
three easy, thats a killer setup.

fadel
01-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I meant the equipment minus the woodwork (Tv, tank, speakers, etc).
If you worked as hard as you can 8 hours a day, how long would it take?

i have three employee full time work with me i can knock this sucker in 5 days

fadel
01-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Looks real nice. But wouldn't the light from the tank be too much of a distraction for tv viewing.

not really the light is going down word........

the problem i am trying to solve is how to make a slide out canopy

so they can change the bulbs and what ever they want
i am thinking about slide out canopy top ( interesting ) but it can be done

fadel
01-11-2008, 09:22 PM
That price easy, you probably still have room to go up.
Being a fine tolerance worker myself, I bid a min of $500 per day minimum for special stuff (prototypes).

yeah thats sound right 500 per day

iwantone
01-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Fair price. Hell a decent low quality small aquarium stand and canopy easily run to a grand.

iwantone
01-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Fadel, I'm going to contact you soon regarding my bathroom as well as my kitchen back splash

afitzwater
01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
you provide the wood or he does?

fadel
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Fadel, I'm going to contact you soon regarding my bathroom as well as my kitchen back splash

no problem . i hook you up

fadel
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
you provide the wood or he does?

he will........ COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ANTONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.........wasssss up

coral diver
01-12-2008, 01:31 PM
That will be chicken for you Fadel I know your attitude you like challange do a build thread of that entertainment unit and make them guys droole :rolleyes:

fadel
01-12-2008, 02:18 PM
That will be chicken for you Fadel I know your attitude you like challange do a build thread of that entertainment unit and make them guys droole :rolleyes:

lol i will ...i did change the design a little................ we should meet next week me and him..we will see..............

on the other hand i am doing one in my house
smaller like 9 feet

coral diver
01-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Did he specified on the tank size also keep in mind the plumbing since you have experiense with salt water aquarium salt residue and the humidity rott the wood paster in the tank section I know you know this thing good luck with the project man

fadel
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Did he specified on the tank size also keep in mind the plumbing since you have experiense with salt water aquarium salt residue and the humidity rott the wood paster in the tank section I know you know this thing good luck with the project man

i have a plan for that the inside will be waterproof...............
the canopy will be slide out. the left side and the doors can be pulled out compleatly.....

fishfinger
01-12-2008, 05:20 PM
i have three employee full time work with me i can knock this sucker in 5 days
I would say based on 3 people helping you 3k is not enough. More like 4 to 5 k is what I would think. At least that is what I would charge for 3 of my painters for labor only for a week. figure it in man days. 3men x 5 days = 15 man days. Charge what you want for a single man day.....i.e. 8 hours at say $20.00 per hour or whatever your cost per man hour is. Then do the multiplying.

Here is how I would do it 15 man days = 120 hours x $20.00 ( or what ever your cost per man is ) = $2,400.00 .
Then your profit , say 25% = $600.00
You are at 3k already with out considering materials and I would say you should get more than $600.00 for yourself for a weeks work and all the b.s. that goes with supervising the job etc.

so 3k is way to low IMO unless your men are only costing you 10 to 20 bucks an hour or so.

Just my thoughts......That is a killer looking set up and I think 4 to 5 k is what I would expect to pay for good workmanship that will last.

I charge $45.00 per man hour to stain , finish and or paint stuff like that fyi. Sometimes less if I want to or need to in orer to get the job. I would charge about 1k just to finish paint it. But perhaps you do it more for fun or something allow those lines.

Hope that helps

fadel
01-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I would say based on 3 people helping you 3k is not enough. More like 4 to 5 k is what I would think. At least that is what I would charge for 3 of my painters for labor only for a week. figure it in man days. 3men x 5 days = 15 man days. Charge what you want for a single man day.....i.e. 8 hours at say $20.00 per hour or whatever your cost per man hour is. Then do the multiplying.

Here is how I would do it 15 man days = 120 hours x $20.00 ( or what ever your cost per man is ) = $2,400.00 .
Then your profit , say 25% = $600.00
You are at 3k already with out considering materials and I would say you should get more than $600.00 for yourself for a weeks work and all the b.s. that goes with supervising the job etc.

so 3k is way to low IMO unless your men are only costing you 10 to 20 bucks an hour or so.

Just my thoughts......That is a killer looking set up and I think 4 to 5 k is what I would expect to pay for good workmanship that will last.

I charge $45.00 per man hour to stain , finish and or paint stuff like that fyi. Sometimes less if I want to or need to in orer to get the job. I would charge about 1k just to finish paint it. But perhaps you do it more for fun or something allow those lines.

Hope that helps
what you say is right on the money......... but the stand and canopy i build them alone , I use my guys when i have heavy thing to carry or 2 man job but i play at my garge doing this stuff...... stand and canopies not my food and butter... this is extra money for my toys and hoppy........and i injoy ....................

i will profit 2000 from it i think..........................

crstjohn
01-12-2008, 09:47 PM
It's obvious you have never paid for custom cabinetry! If you could find someone to build, install and finish a system for 3K, you got a smoking deal! 10 yrs ago custom cabinets were going for $300 a lineal foot just for lowers. The wood looks like birdseye maple which would cost probably close to 1K just for all the wood! Do you think a tank like that wouldn't be expensive? My guess is the tank alone would be 2K easy.

fishfinger
01-13-2008, 10:03 AM
what you say is right on the money......... but the stand and canopy i build them alone , I use my guys when i have heavy thing to carry or 2 man job but i play at my garge doing this stuff...... stand and canopies not my food and butter... this is extra money for my toys and hoppy........and i injoy ....................

i will profit 2000 from it i think..........................

Well that sounds great then. I hope it goes well for you. If you ever need a good painter to stain or paint something let me know. I have 29 years in the business and 15 people working for me. I couple of them are real experts with furniture quality stuff. We do custom Kitchen and bath Cabinets all the time.

fadel
01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Well that sounds great then. I hope it goes well for you. If you ever need a good painter to stain or paint something let me know. I have 29 years in the business and 15 people working for me. I couple of them are real experts with furniture quality stuff. We do custom Kitchen and bath Cabinets all the time.

i will keep that in mind my friend

i think we both in the same business

swissfish
01-14-2008, 08:32 AM
3k is a smoking deal! He will love you for that, specially if he is getting other quotes.

That looks sooo nice!

Chris
01-14-2008, 08:48 AM
I don't get it, Fadel, do you own a cabinet shop or something? Or is this your hobby

fadel
01-14-2008, 09:22 AM
just to answer you question chris
doing stuff like the stands and cabinets is a hoppy i do at home
i charge fairly little for it . not becuase i dont want the money.... but it just pay for my tools and toys........

the real money i get from the following

i have a bachelor of interior design. cincinnati ohio
and associate degree in architect from jordan ( middle east )
i do
contracting................design.........blue print.......... remodeling
i sub work for more than 9 companies

I don't get it, Fadel, do you own a cabinet shop or something? Or is this your hobby