PDA

View Full Version : Help with acrylic

DaveMorris
01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey folks, I got a new (to me) acrylic tank that will become my new sump. I need to glue in some baffles. What glue should I use? Any pointers for me? I haven't worked with acrylic before. Thanks in advance for the help.

nahtanoj
01-09-2008, 09:22 PM
http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/100364/sesent/00/Weld-Onandreg-Plastic-Cements

check this out. thats the stuff you want.

crstjohn
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Dave do you have the baffles cut to size? I can help you glue em in and cut em if you need to. I feel kinda bad not being able to help you move the tank (having lasik surgery Friday). LMK.

DaveMorris
01-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I haven't acquired the acrylic pieces yet. I also won't be getting my tank this Friday. Leemar won't have it finished. I need to do a little planning for how I want it divided and I need to take some good measurements to figure out how much to get. What is the best way to cut the acrylic?

crstjohn
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM
on a table saw with a nice sharp blade.

RussM
01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
If you can get the pieces cut to exact fit with smooth edges, use Weld-On #4. If the fit is a little sloppy, use Weld-On #16.

#4 is a watery liquid; use a syringe or squeeze bottle w/ a needle tip to apply. You can get the applicators anywhere you get the cements.

#16 is a thick syrup-like viscosity, and comes in a squeeze tube.

Get it at Ridout Plastics (Claremont Mesa) or San Diego Plastics (National City)

#4 will give you the best appearance, but this probably not a big concern for a sump.

Some links about working w/ acrylic:

http://www.rmplastics.net/acrylic.htm
http://www.ippnet.com/EN/main/solutions/1423.html

When do you plan to do this? I might be able to help with both cutting and cementing.

DaveMorris
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure. Sometime next week I think. Depends on work schedule.

RussM
01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure. Sometime next week I think. Depends on work schedule.
I might be available all day Monday... waiting to hear back from a client; Regardless, I'll be gone the rest of the week... yep, more work for %$#@ PSAV.

loose-electron
01-10-2008, 11:25 AM
if you are careful, you can work sheet acrylic like glass, score it and crack it. I have done that when I didnt have access to a table saw.

SLOW feed on a table saw,blade height set to slightly higher than the sheet thickness -- you want to cut it, not melt your way thru it!!!

also, if you want, put the baffles in with silicone seal instead of glue, that way you can cut them out and move them if you decide to change the thing a bit.

lots of options, just a couple more ideas.....

unix858
01-10-2008, 11:31 AM
if its not perfectly cut.. just silicone that ish... Its a sump anyway, doesn have to be super purrrty.

CruiseX
01-10-2008, 12:49 PM
you can get the needle glue applicators at OG - they are in the display case right there on the right when you walk in. These are what you want if you are going to use the water glue.

I have plenty of both of the glues if you want to take them off my hands - no longer a need for them on my end. If you can put it to use by all means you are welcome to it.

Two Bit Scooter
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
One more vote for silicone. It's not as pretty but it's a lot more forgiving and it will let you move or remove the baffles later.

N2REEFS
01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
There are 80 teeth blades made for cutting palstic on a table saw. As mentioned earlier, you want to make sure the plastic doesn't heat up. There is also a wax you can coat the blade with that keeps it a little cooler. I have all the tools and extra glue if you need help.

The key to using the Weld-on #4 is the cut the pieces to size that makes a gapless fit. I cut my pieces then use a scraper to removing cutting marks. You can apply the #4 with the bottle applicator and wick the solvent into the seam. If needed, you can flame polish the edges after everything cures.

GrantMBrady
01-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I used silicone on my sump seems to work well enough. . . yes it looks kinda ugly but o well. its under the stand who cares.

iVgOnMaD
01-11-2008, 10:13 PM
acrylic on acrylic? Weld-On, available at Rid-Out Plastics

SuperDragon
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Use test pieces first so you get a feelling for the solvent/glue and the time it takes to bond. If you glueing with water in your sump I would suggest silcone. The weld-on products are toxic and you don't want that in your tank water. They are water thin becareful getting it on your skin, they are strong solvents and make sure your in a well ventilated area.
Safety first.

LarryM
03-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Pet Kingdom also has acrylic cement in their case. I also would recommend silicone in a sump. Neatness lies in the application of both products.

SDguy
03-28-2008, 05:39 AM
. They are water thin becareful getting it on your skin, they are strong solvents and make sure your in a well ventilated area.
Safety first.

Or use weldon 16.....more gel like, seams won't look as neat/pretty though.