PDA

View Full Version : Need some "setting up a new business" help

DaChrisDude
01-03-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm gearing up to start my aquarium-servicing business as soon as possible. There are still a few things I need help with, if you can help me, know someone that can, or if you've got any "connections" please let me know.

Things I need help with:

-I want to get (2) ~12x18" magnetic car-signs made with my logo. Suggestions of (cheap) quality place to have that done?

-I'd like to get (2) polo shirts with my logo on them. Suggestions?

-Website-help. I own the domain name, and have a very basic html knowledge...I can (given some time) figure out how to make the site. However, I know absolutely nothing about how to get it to show up in searches - how to get it know. Help?

-Advertizing locations / venues / opportunities? I've got a list going, but I'd certainly be willing get some more suggestions...

Thanks in advance to any help yall are able to give me. I'll likey need help in other areas too, in which case I'll update the thread...

ManTis
01-03-2008, 01:29 AM
the pennysaver is a great way to get flyers out quick and in massive amounts....mostly zip codes areas

that how i advertise..........

DaChrisDude
01-03-2008, 01:31 AM
thanks Michael.

where / how in the pennysaver do you advertise? Do you have just a normal FS listing, a business listing, a large ad, what?

DaveMorris
01-03-2008, 01:55 AM
- Look into Legalzoom.com to incorporate. Cheap and easy.
- Promoventures does excellent shirt work. 24 shirt minimum on golf shirts with embroidery. I believe silk screen on Hanes Beefy T's was $6.50/shirt. I'm not sure what minimum they have on those.
- Quickbooks for accounting software. Works great and makes it easy.

slowturtle
01-03-2008, 06:25 AM
pm sent :)

rudy
01-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I can help you on the first two.
If you want the shirts embroidered, not screened.

mazilla
01-03-2008, 08:00 AM
I have a good friend that lives off 78 that does silk screening out of his garage, i can give you his number if your interested.

loose-electron
01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Car Signs - "Sign Diego" over on Midway does that stuff.
SHirts - lots of places on line do custom "one of" shirts - google it.
Incorporation? -- Dont do it! You will get hit with a $800/year AMT tax every year. As a single person, you are liable for the business, be it sole propriotership, LLC, or corp. (with a one owner corp, they just sue the primay stockholder as well, ask any corporate legal guru) Sole propriotorship is the cheapest way to get started, without getting hit with tax liability.
Accident Liability - consider liability insurance - or - get all your customers to sign a "hold harmless" agreement. You dont want to be held liable for 180 gallons of SW dumped on someones floor.
Advertising - free!!! put it under services in Craigs List, (post frequently) and flyers at the local fish stores and similar
Search engine recognition - thats tough to get right - although lots of places claim to take your money and get you to the top of the search engine pile. Not really going to happen that way.
Advertising - local and effective - Take a close look at Google Ad Words. You can set it up so it only pops up for people in your area who have an interest in what you are selling, and you only pay if they follow the link to your site.

my 3 cents worth (adjusted for inflation)
good luck with it!!!
-- Jerry

BigAir
01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Car signs, talk to Jessycat. Shirts, embroidered much more professional looking and will last way longer than the screened shirts. Rudy has a sik machine to take care of that.

rudy
01-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Car signs, talk to Jessycat. Shirts, embroidered much more professional looking and will last way longer than the screened shirts. Rudy has a sik machine to take care of that.
I have a sticker cutter too, and some magnetic sheet for your door sign.

DaChrisDude
01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Wow, thanks guys! I appreciate all the help and suggestions. :)

-I've currently got a sole-proprietorship -and will stick w that forawhile.
-I will get liability insurance, just haven't called around yet to find out how much it'll cost.
-I will want the shirts embroidered rather than screen-printed. They last longer and look better, imo.

I will be PM'ing a few of you shortly...thanks so much!

TaxGuru44
01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I like the idea of incorporating yourself (can be tax friendly). Let me know if you need any advice/work regarding your new business. (i.e. accounting, fed tax, CA monthly prepayments, CA sales tax, CA use tax etc.

Technoviking
01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Chris, I can make a website for you. PM me if you need it.

WRAiTHY
01-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I have quickbooks for you if you need it.

afitzwater
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
contact "custom logos" about the shirts

reefreak
01-03-2008, 02:45 PM
pm'ed you.

Hybrid
01-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Hit up Iv@n. He can help. He made my banner and business cards. He is also in the process of launching my website. Tell him I referred you.
great guy to deal with. his number is 619-829-3587

crstjohn
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Car signs, talk to Jessycat. Shirts, embroidered much more professional looking and will last way longer than the screened shirts. Rudy has a sik machine to take care of that. I can second Rudy's machine, saw it last week. That is a hell of a machine.

DaChrisDude
01-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Rudy, Wraithy, Technoviking, Reafreak, Taxgurro, Jessycat, Mazilla and slowturtle --you all got PM'd. :D

Anyone else that didn't get a pm that wants one? ;)

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it. keep em coming please!

Mr.Chewbacca
01-04-2008, 02:02 AM
-Website-help. I own the domain name, and have a very basic html knowledge...I can (given some time) figure out how to make the site. However, I know absolutely nothing about how to get it to show up in searches - how to get it know. Help?

DEFINATELEY MAN! JUST LAET ME KNOW THE SERCOMSTANCES
AND IL BE VERY INTERESTED!!!!! :D

-U will need a hosting service with a hosting company.. i use godaddy
its very good infact. im very familiar with it and u can get hosting
for a basic site for about 3-4 bucks a month about 100 bucks for a full year
its a good deal

- i can make a site with a CMS (content management system) that will dispaly
news , blogs , specials, forums, etc.

or Most buisnesses just show their site with contact info and a few facts.

thats where html comes in :D

I am fluent (for use of a better word) or familiar with

- photoshop- very well i might add :D
- dreamweaver
- ftp usage
- html
- CSS (and not counter strike source :D but im also very good at it :D)
- I can obtain programs as in photoshop, dreamweaver,mac. flash . etc.
from soecial sources ;)
- NVU
- Submit site to goggle so it shows up in searches as well as other search engines
- PHP ( very dificult with scripting )
- Drupal
- and most WYSIWYG programs

im using a CMS called DRUPAL
but thats more for a interactive site experience.
-edited by CSS's - code only

but HTML page can work very well for a small buisness
-edited by photoshop and html, if scripts wanted then PHP- visual editing

also make quick bucks with google adsence :D

well yea
im only 16 but pretty good damn good
hey i have a site also - http://syntaxelite.com/

PS dont even get me started on HAckinG
i hacked myspace last july but myspace had that fixed within 3 DAYS!!!! >:(
eh never tried since im prtty sure its more secure now and i aint got the patience anymore....

LMK

u can also buy pencils for your buisness and just drop em off anywhere

i think u can get like 500 for 60 bucks 0_o

slowturtle
01-04-2008, 02:49 AM
advertising wise, if u really want those little doo-dads, like pencils, little magnets, or whatever i can get those and alot more stuff just pm me again but i doubt u will want those things