PDA

View Full Version : Flatworms

SanDiegoReefs
12-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Anyone else having problems with flatworms lately? I have a ton of them right now and am looking at different options for getting rid of them:

1. Six-line wrasse
2. Flatworm Exit
3. Chelidonura Varians -- a nudibranch
http://www.seaslugforum.net/chelvar.htm

Any suggestions?

-moore

M. Parkis
12-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Yes, one of my holding tanks came down with flat worms 2 months ago. Was useing a 6 line wrasse for control. It seemed to be having a great time and was very fat until I sold it... I have 2 more on order for next week.

[G]h0s']['
12-26-2003, 10:13 PM
Sorry for the late reply, SoKal. Just talked to the owner of Aquatic Warehouse into getting some from salifert. He just got some in about 1 week and a half ago. Selling them for 11.99? for a 300gal treatment.

MarLooney
01-02-2004, 01:40 AM
i think i might be trying that velvet nudi... i wanted one anyway. i just got some new LR with tons of flatworms. they didn't come out till a day later too.

jetor
01-03-2004, 05:33 PM
I purchased two of these guys :

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spe...sname=melanurus

and they spelled the end of my flat worms along with siphoning to help reduce the population.

I purchased them on a recommendation from Chris at Oceans and Jungles in El Cajon and I am glad I did. One of them has become the super male and is stunningly colored.

I tried the nudi's and although they have an appetite for flatworms they disappear quickly, usually victims of powerhead and overflows.

Just my 2 cents.

Jasen

M. Parkis
01-04-2004, 08:21 PM
I just picked up 3 Velvet sea slugs (very nice) will keep you posted on how they do with flat worms.

MarLooney
01-05-2004, 12:30 AM
where'd you get them and for how much please?

M. Parkis
01-05-2004, 03:51 AM
Wholesale in L.A.

MarLooney
01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
ite dood...

M. Parkis
01-09-2004, 05:34 PM
The Velvet slugs seem to be doing a great job on the flat worms. But these slugs sure move around quickly. If I had power heads or closed loops in my system they would most likely be toast.

Flamehawk
01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
I lost a slug that way...watch out for those powerheads, it was a small powerhead too. Don't let the size fool you, definitly is slug killer.

hi parkis. This is George. Talk to Mattew lately? is his email changed after he moved?

haven't got around to my refuge yet. :P

M. Parkis
01-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi George,
Matt was here just after Thanksgiving. He's setting up his new 240 right now. I'll PM you his e-mail.

brahm
01-09-2004, 07:38 PM
...Damn I got flatworms up the Wazoo.. and I just saw those slugs at Aquatic wharehouse a couple days ago and didn't know what they were.. Today I didn't see them there..

treylane
01-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Tried two of those slugs (at different times) and they were both dead within 24 hours.

So I got to try Plan B: Flatworm Exit. I was pretty concerned about doing it because all the stories I've read about the stuff have involved dead bristleworms. I've got a lot of bristleworms, and I happen to like them.

But I eventually got desperate enough. I dosed my 15g on Sunday. I vaccumed out as many flatworms as I had patience for every day during the week before. Dosed the tank and couldn't believe how many were still in there (and now floating around the tank!) ... I ran carbon, did water changes, and whatever else the labeling said to do.

Some of my corals seemed slightly pissed off the next day, but everything's back to normal now. As far as I can tell, my bristleworm population is as thriving as ever, various little crabs, bugs, and misc. critters are doing fine too!

MarLooney
01-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Just used FWE tonight... i'll get back to everyone to see how it worked...

MarLooney
01-21-2004, 01:10 AM
sorry for the late reply...

FWE rocks face!!!

>0 mwuhahahaha.... die!! die!! die!!

i think mel enjoyed it more than me, and it was my reef... AHHA!

follow all reccomended precautions and siphon yer arse off. good luck.

MarLooney
01-27-2004, 07:30 PM
did my 2nd and hopefully final treatment of FWE today. no proplems at all. none of the corals even closed a bit. i didn't have many left over from the last treatment. i'm hoping that now the problem has been taken care of.

what happened to the other people in this thread? other than mel's, i don't know how any of the other battles with flatworms are going.