PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner Problem #6 Heating

Redeye
12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Woke up this morning to a cold house
the squirel-cage/fan was not running, only making a buzzing noise like something is stuck in it. Anyone on here do Hvac? or tinker with forced air heating much?

Redeye
12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I just removed the fan, wow was it dirty, damn renters never had it cleaned I'm guessing :p
cleaned it with an OLD toothbrush, dropped it acouple times, plugged it back in, and VOILA! it works:)
Problem solved

barometer
12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Glad to hear it, the renters probably didn't even know it wasn't maintained or working properly, just thought it was supposed to be cold ;) . Ah the little things we discover once the house is bought :p :)

Redeye
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I have a home warranty, but the deductible is like $60, and thats a good chunk of my fish fund
did'nt want to have to call them unless it was REALLY broken:)

DaveMorris
12-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I found my new home warranty to be virtually useless. They tried to get out of both small claims we had when we ran into some issues with our house. It is probably best that you just handled it yourself.

barometer
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
lol, I was just gonna say the same thing Dave :p
When we tried to make a claim on our warranty because our dishwasher didn't work they gave us such a runaround and we still ended up paying for most of the replacement. Needless to say we did not renew the policy :rolleyes: I think it's still a good thing to get with your new house purchase JIC, but the results when you need to use it can be iffy

Redeye
12-14-2007, 02:00 PM
we made seller pay for it:)
I married a lawyer for a reason!

swissfish
12-14-2007, 02:05 PM
There should be no dirt in the fan! Make sure you have filters installed. Also check the evaporator coils if you have AC.

Redeye
12-14-2007, 11:00 PM
No AC, cleaned out the motor with an air compressor blower, then oiled the bearing in the front
think motor is on it's last night though, keeps overheating the motor and cutting off, gonna be a cold night:(
Where do you guys think I can find a motor for an old a$s furnace? motor looks like a car alternator, same size roughly, just fits in the center of a squirrel-cage fan

Redeye
12-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Can't find any local listings for Furnace parts, just repair companies...they have to get parts from somewhere...

iVgOnMaD
12-15-2007, 07:03 AM
contact the manufacturer of the heater unit, they will give you the number to a distributor/manufacturer

Redeye
12-15-2007, 07:25 AM
this thing is so old, there is no name on it, from the 70's atleast
all is says is, Day and Night
the motor does'nt even have anything on it

swissfish
12-15-2007, 07:35 AM
johnston supply in el cajon. they are open on saturdays

Redeye
12-15-2007, 07:56 AM
gonna wait till monday, today is my housewarming, don't have time to run to EC, Thank you for a name though, impossible trying to find a supplier around town:)

Still gotta work on finding a beer tap, Priorities!

iVgOnMaD
12-15-2007, 08:21 AM
try keg and bottle on university av and college av in the college area.