PDA

View Full Version : Your own personal Scripps Fillup Hose!

vinny73
11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I am putting out a feeler for a demo and a group buy. I get so damn sick of people filling up 55g jug after jug after jug with a damn gardenhose! Especially when I am like 5th in line! I have priced out all the parts, and this is just a ballpark figure of retail cost for your very own scripps water hose filler upper! Instead of waiting for the garden hose, you can hook up to the 2" mainline above it, turn on the ball valve, walk to your vehicle, and then have your own valve at the end of the hose to adjust your flow, and shut off the flow for filling up your own buckets. Anyone down? Imagine rollin up and not waiting! I can even make an adapter for when the big tankers are ther and you can fill up at the same time if they don't wanna be a prick about it. The cost for all the fittings, hose, valve and quick disconnects is about 40 bucks. It seems a little steep, but for me and the value of my time, its worth it. I just need 5 people to go in on a 100' roll of 1" tubing. The tubing is 144 bucks but I got them down to 115 bucks. So, if I order the entire setup, I am pretty sure I can get the cost down to about 30 to 35 with tax. I would like to do this as a demo at the dec. 15th SBRC meeting as well. If noone wants to do it, I will still do the demo, but you will have to show up to the meeting. I can also provide a drawing and detailed instructions for a cool frag! The profits and frags will go towards the booth at MAX in April. Thanks, Vinny.

Nick_Kun
11-21-2007, 08:03 AM
ahh very cool.

vinny73
11-21-2007, 08:05 AM
O yeah, I allmost forgot. When you are done filling up in front of the people standing in line, you can either smile real big and say, See ya!, or if you get an inquiry on where to get 1, you can make one for them or send them my way and I will and post the profit to future club events! Thanks, Vinny.

!v@n
11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
dude me and gus were just talking about that the other night when we went to get water. Im in

afitzwater
11-21-2007, 11:36 AM
ill pitch in the $33 i was going to spend on a premium account :)

Techknowledgy
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey Vinny,
This sounds like a great idea. The only real drawback I see is that in my situation, and I am only speaking for me, I now have two 55 gallon drums. I got them so that I would not have to travel to the pier as often. With 110 gallons of water at my disposal, doing my 20% bi-weekly water changes on schedule, with my 170 gallons of total water volume. I only go down there with the truck once every two months. It is not a huge time saver for me. I would be interested, if there is someone who would like to co-own such a set up, then the six trips a year are more economical. Thanks for doing this.

vinny73
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Okay, I just need 2 more people. I was talking to my supplier and they said that if I did a couple plugs for them, it could be significantly cheaper! One thing for you rolland is that with your 55g drums, I could make a second adapter for you to pump your water from your vehicle to their location so you would not have to move them full, from the vehicle. I know harold and I would fill up aroud 300g each and with the hose I made before, it took about 5 mins. Withthe garden hose it took around 45 mins. So, as long as there is no tankers there, you would not have to wait unless someone else had the same setup. But still, it would a lot less time! If you are very serious, please pm me your contact info and around dec 7th I will place the order for all that would like to own one. Also let me know if you will be attending the meeting and wanna build it there or if you just wanna pick up the parts and build it yourself. Thanks for the support of my ideas. Vinny.

Techknowledgy
11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks Vinny,
I am in. You are one of the reasons I came and stay at sdreefs. I very much value your expertise, your passion and your enthusiasm! Do my best to be there on the 7th.

acbaldwin
11-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Great idea, Vinny! Not a big time waster for me either, since I usually go around 2AM.

vinny73
11-21-2007, 12:37 PM
I dig helpin people! So much has allready come full circle! I get so much help from people who never ask for anything in return! Look at my new 60g thread! See the new stand and canopy? Thhats all from afitzwater. Not all , but enough to get the rough detail done. Hell, I spent 170 bucks in hardwood just for the canopy and stand trim. Its spendy! The next week he gave me 60 lbs of aptasia covered rock! FOR FREE! I just baked the rock and let it sit for 3 months while I built the tank. So, to help out is what I like to do. No reason for returning the favor to me! Return it to someone in much more need than I! Like I said, come to the demo, build 1, then sell them to others or show someone else how to build one! I prefer you to show someone though. The first hand knowledge is much more valueable than a nice gesture.

DaveMorris
11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
I'll take one of your hoses Vinny. Gawd that sounds horrible. I do the 55g drum thing and I hate waiting for people. Especially when they are using the garden hose that I put there in the first place.

Bogg
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
LOL yeah the goodyear hose kicks as#!. Thanks!. There is nothing worse than waiting down there especially when you have to p!. I pulled up one time and this foo had about 40 jugs and I had 2, well he was just getting started with the first jug, looked over at me saw I had 2 jugs and started filling!. Well this is'nt even the worse part after he was done filling them it seemed like an hour went by, he got on his cell phone and dumped them all out!!!!!!!!. It was some dude in a pt cruiser with a ton of rental jugs from AW, I think he was a service guy he said he was starting a new tank and just decided to mix instead!. Hose drama!. Vinny great idea, if I ever need to fill up large quantities I'll hit you up.

Diver Dan
11-22-2007, 09:45 PM
I am in for one!
Ditto to Roland! thanks for all of this ish you do for us! and the hell you raise!:) Without you, this place would not be the same!

fishfinger
11-23-2007, 05:51 PM
I will take one. Count me in..

jblaze
11-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I'd like one also

David M
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I just got a 300 gallon tank yesterday so I could use one of those too. Looks like youv'e got orders for way more than four :D

SDguy
11-24-2007, 04:04 PM
w00t vinny...great idea!

megalodoras
11-25-2007, 09:10 AM
not to ruin your thread but you all can make a fitting for around 4.00 and use 1 1/2 pool backwash hose . i fill 160 gallons in 5 minutes but there is no shut off valve at other end its like blow and go if you are by yourself . anyone want one of these made let me know i do pool service so i by the hose in bulk and fittings are cheap you just pay the materials

vinny73
11-28-2007, 09:13 AM
not to ruin your thread but you all can make a fitting for around 4.00 and use 1 1/2 pool backwash hose . i fill 160 gallons in 5 minutes but there is no shut off valve at other end its like blow and go if you are by yourself . anyone want one of these made let me know i do pool service so i by the hose in bulk and fittings are cheap you just pay the materials
I have allready been down this route before. The only problem with that hose is that if you are not careful, you get pinholes in the hose. At scripps, the road is not very smooth. I could do a demo on this but in my opinion this is the cheap, easy, crap that people don't want. Great idea for those who wanna try, but we're not hooking it up to a sump pump to drain a pool. I used this same setup you have and filled 350g of water in just over 5 mins. Works great but after about 2 months I ended up with pinhole that spray peoples cars or people. Corrugated hose would be better but once again, feel free to do your own demo and thread. Thanks for the comments and info but, na, not gonna go that route! Plus, having a valve at the other end is for people who don't wanna make a mess inside their nice cars or work alone. Not trying to be rude, just not into the easy cheap way for this.

vinny73
11-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Looks like quite a few people want these! I am not convinced that everyone will need a 20' hose! If like a 10' hose will work for you then I can make them shorter. David, sounds like you might want one soon. I will be sble to start making them friday if those who want one before the meeting can come up with the dough. I will purchase the material to make 6 right now. I just need a count on who wants one and how long of a hose. Thanks for the support, Vinny.

vinny73
11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
I can also have them ready for pickup at scripps on sunday. I need to get water so if the order fills up, I will get them all made saturday and can take a trip up to get scripps water and you can swing by and get some water with your new setup. Plan on paying 40 bucks. If you need a shorter hose it will be cheaper. If you need a 20 foot hose it will be cheaper. It all depends on the supplier. I am trying to get the supplier to kick down on the price and maybe even provide some free samples for the meeting as long as I hang a banner up and pass out their cards. Not promissing anything. I can promise that it will be less than 40 bucks for the longer hose.

vinny73
11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
I am posting a list of who has signed up and has confirmed via pm they want one.
1. JBLAZE, 20' hose
2.DIVER DAN 20'
3.DAVID M 20'
4.LIVER 10'
5.DAVE MORRIS 20'
6.FISHFINGER 20'

Diver Dan
11-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Im in for a 20!

David M
11-28-2007, 01:06 PM
PM sent, put me on the list. :D

DaveMorris
11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
PM sent

vinny73
11-28-2007, 02:44 PM
If I can get 4 more people to sign up then I can do a double order. The hose only comes in 100' rolls. So, I can place the order tomorrow and have the material by friday to make the hoses by sunday. So, keep the orders rollin so we can get the parts cheaper! Thanks, Vinny. I am also gonna check with another one of my suppliers to see if I just might be able to get things a few cents cheaper. By tomorrow afternoon, I should have the final cost. Like I said though, I NEED 4 MORE ORDERS OR 1 PERSON WHO WANTS AN 80' HOSE. But an 80' hose aint 40 bucks!

seahorse_man
11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Vinny I don't want to hi-jack but I'm just curious as to what it looks like so when you get them done can I see a pic.

I don't need one but just want to see,good idea:)

vinny73
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Sure thing Jordan.

megalodoras
11-28-2007, 05:46 PM
good points ! hope to see these in action but unfortunatley i usually get my water late at night

vinny73
11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I have a grip of those blowdown hoses at work. Up to 2 1/2". We use them for draindown of fire supression systems. They work great for that but to pump water, any route other than a straight line, you get a bit of flow restriction. They kink pretty easy. Getting water at night is nice! You should hook your hose with a valve at the other end so you can shut it off at your convenience.

DaveMorris
11-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I always get my water late at night as well. And I almost always run into somebody else there.

vinny73
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Okay, now I just need 3 more people to go in. I allready placed my order for delivery tomorrow. The owner wasn't in so I couldn't get the final price. So far, without the killer discount it comes to 44.86 without tax. I'm sure it will be cheaper. I have another idea for you folks that I think you will like as well. This stuff is just simple things I have come up with to help you be able to do your chores easier and quicker. I am working on a water change device that you can do your changes with that has some interchangeable parts. The parts will be custom made for everyone because not everyone has the same size tank and not everyone does a 10% water change. I have been using mine for about a month and my wife says you al would like this one! Its not rocket science, just another cool "GADGET". YOU CAN EITHER PICK UP IN SCRIPPS ON SUNDAY OR FRIDAY EVENING IN IMPERIAL BEACH.

vinny73
11-29-2007, 03:45 PM
The setup is going to cost 37.35 after uncle sam gets his cut. Before discounts it was in the ballpark of 48 bucks. That damn tubing is spendy. I know of a plastics manufacturer that I get my orings from for my reactors, so, 1st round is a little spendy, IMO, but its the best I could do in my short notice. So, the time to meet up at scripps will be 12pm on sunday. I don't know if that is early enough for you football people but I am flexible to earlier. I hate football so don't know when it is ever on. Just the superbowl. That's in august right? Still need 3 more people to break even. If not, no worries. They will be up for sale. Once sold I will have a new gadget for you all to try. Once you see it you're gonna be like........ you gotta be fn kiddin me! I can make that! That's the point! You can! Anyhow, any ? Pm me. Thanks again, Vinny.

jblaze
11-29-2007, 03:58 PM
I think the Charger game is 10am-1pm. Does 9am or 2 pm work?

vinny73
11-29-2007, 05:23 PM
As long as nobody's hammered at 2pm for pickup. I'm down with that. I can do 9am too. You guys figure it out and let me know what you decide.

Diver Dan
11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
12 or 2 works for me! Ill be surfing!

DaveMorris
11-29-2007, 11:29 PM
I have to go drive a forklift for Ozzy Osborne on Sunday at 9am. Not sure when I'll be done. I can call you when I get off work and go to where you are for meeting up.

P.S. I'll tell Ozzy that you said Hello.

vinny73
11-30-2007, 06:04 AM
Screw that! I wanna say hi myself! Hell, I can personally hand deliver that one. I remember the first time I saw him play. About 28 or so years ago.

DaveMorris
11-30-2007, 10:13 AM
He is 61 now and his concert was postponed because he needed a rest. Imagine that! He's come a long way from his bathead biting days of old. I would rather see the Rob ZOmbie part of the show anyway.

vinny73
12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I will be at scripps at 8am tomorrow. You can pickup now if you like. My number is 619 254 3208.

David M
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
8 AM ??? :eek: Not makin' any promises but I'll try. Besides I figured you'd call that off anyway, with all the runoff I doubt anyone is gonna want to use the water. I haven't looked but I'll bet the entire coastline is brown :(

vinny73
12-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Maybe it was a little too early for everyone. Thanks for showing up Scott! The hose worked better than I expected! For everyone else, I live at 2055 Toboggan Way, SD,CA 92154. 619 254 3208. Pickup all day.

jblaze
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Smokin deal and works great. You'd be lucky to get 20ft of this hose for less than $40, let alone the whole set up.

David M
12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Sorry but 8am is prime work time at a hatchery :rolleyes: Sent PM.

vinny73
12-03-2007, 05:56 AM
There are still 4 available. They work better than I had expected! So for those of you filling those 55g containers, 300g truckmount containers, if you're doing this with the gardenhose, I can cut your fillup time by 75%!!!! Not to mention, if you're waiting for the gardenhose, well, you're waiting. Plus, if you have a sumbersible pump to transfer the water from your vehicle to other containers, you can adapt the union on the hose to fit your pump and now you have another purpose for it.
I just have 5 gal jugs but having a valve to shutoff when I'm done or if I don't wanna get water all over the inside of my car, it makes it very convenient!
For those of you who are sceptical of the price, figure this, 20' of high strength hose, 1.60 a foot, and all the fittings for a total of 36 bucks? No, it doesn't add up! And my discount isn't that good. So, this is a win win situation. I make 0 prophit and you can turn around, make a few for some clients or friends and make most of your money back. Or hook a friend up and split the cost and share it! Anyhow, just wanna break even. 400 bucks out of pocket so far. Most have paid but need a few more buyers. Thanks, Vinny.

vinny73
12-10-2007, 03:59 PM
there are still 4 hoses left after the ones reserved. $35 bucks.

Diver Dan
12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Sorry Vinny,
I have been so busy!
And now im trying to get this next tank running, i will be getting it eventually...
LMK when you are available!
Thanks
Trever

vinny73
12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
I am allways available.

Diver Dan
12-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Cool!
I have that superman if you still want it!
I cn be down there someime this weekend..

vinny73
12-10-2007, 04:13 PM
SUUUUUUUUUUUre do! Let me know what time works for you.

liver
12-17-2007, 06:26 PM
When I can I pick mine up? I already paid via paypal!

LMK

fishfinger
12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I must have lost track of things. I still want one. When and where do I pick it up

vinny73
12-18-2007, 06:37 AM
I have posted my addy in the thread. I will most likely be going to scripps at 3pm on friday. I do work at SDSU and have the hoses in my truck in case someone wanted to pickup during the day. I am home by 330 every day. I will however be going to the SDMAS meeting tonight if someone wants to pick up there. I will be there at 7. Probably won't stay the whole time. Maybe til 830 or 9. There are still 3 available! Scoop em up!

vinny73
12-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Bump!!!!!!! I will be bringing the hoses with me tonight if anyone wants to pick one up!!!

dj9264
01-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Any hoses left Vinny?

vinny73
03-16-2008, 03:55 PM
I have ordered and recieved more material. There are a few hoses to be picked up. Come and get em!

vinny73
03-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Still a few hoses left if people want them!

Blaze
03-19-2009, 08:05 AM
dang started in 07 been sellin since.LOL.props